Scholarships, anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prince Souldragon

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:13 pm
Do LGBT person's havea chance scholarship's from organizations such as PFLAG or GLSEN?

WARNING, LONG TEXT INCOMMING!!!
My AVID class went to a career center for a presentation from a person discussing financial aid for students via loans, grants, scholarships ect, and I was wondering, well... they got one for people that are minorities(such as latino-americans, native-americans ect), so I kinda figured... Well hey, I kinda-sorta fit into that catagory (what, 2% of the population or some other micro-number?)
LONG TEXT CRISIS AVERTED!!!

Your opinion-(TL biggrin R)
If financial aid for Gay students doesnt exist, should it, why or why not? (nopoll4u >.<)  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:03 am
The percentage of the LGBTQ community is far higher than 2%. I'm not sure of the exact percentage but it is higher than 10%, and that's only for gay and lesbian youth, which means it's not counting transgendered, questioning, or bisexual people.
And no, you can't get financial aid for it. If it's affected your life in some way you can write about it for your college essay and that may help your application, though.
EDITEDITEDIT: Actually, I've heard this website will help LGBTQ "scholars". So you can't get money just because you're part of the community; you have to be an exceptional student, too. Here is another website that lists other organizations that give funded to accredited LGBTQ students.

The reasons most/all colleges don't give money for LGBTQ students is:
1) Many, many people still think it's a choice
2) It's far too easy to claim to be part of the community, and then "change your mind" when you get into college or something, whereas your race/heritage must be proven. You can't "prove" being part of the LGBTQ community.

faint old rhyme
Crew

Rainbow Bracelets
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 am
I have a lot of scholarships open for me even though I'm openly gay.
My sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. I deserved them after working my a** off because I don't expect any special treatment. neutral  
Ask a Gay!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games