Can somebody who is in high school truly be Goth- Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ayame_Rikimayu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:37 am
Zahmen II
Yeah but why would anybody WANT to be goth while in highschool?
Unless of course they feel that the only way anybody will ever notice them unless they make themselves stand out to be ridiculed.

Because Gothic fashion is nice in magazines, and nice in clubs, and nice on the television screen, but we all know that in real life in real-world scenarios; the gothic style gets nothing but scorn and ridicule by everybody (most at least) who is not also dressed in the goth style.

to answer your question as best i can, two reasons:
1) for attention; this is the pretentious dumbass child who does this not because they really and truly care about the goth subculture and its influences, but because of the associated shock value that comes along with it. this person gets a kick out of the reactions of others, as well as a feeling of unreasonable superiority as they rebel against their conservative upbringing. this is just based off of a stereotype, but it makes sense to me.

2)because they don't give a ******** about how others will view them. there are those that SAY they don't care, then cry in a corner when they are teased at school, and then there are those select few who have the balls to stand out for no other reason than because they feel like it. they don't give a damn whether or not it will negatively impact their image, because its just something they want to do. this can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. while i myself don't care how others view me, there is a time and place for everything. i'm not showing up at work in fishnets. unless i was a stripper. it basically comes down to maturity again, as i have said before. only an idiot would dare challenge his boundaries in places where he should abstain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:53 am
Ayame_Rikimayu
Zahmen II
Unless of course they feel that the only way anybody will ever notice them unless they make themselves stand out to be ridiculed.

Because Gothic fashion is nice in magazines, and nice in clubs, and nice on the television screen, but we all know that in real life in real-world scenarios; the gothic style gets nothing but scorn and ridicule by everybody (most at least) who is not also dressed in the goth style.

1) for attention; this is the pretentious dumbass child who does this not because they really and truly care about the goth subculture and its influences, but because of the associated shock value that comes along with it. this person gets a kick out of the reactions of others, as well as a feeling of unreasonable superiority as they rebel against their conservative upbringing. this is just based off of a stereotype, but it makes sense to me.

2)because they don't give a ******** about how others will view them. there are those that SAY they don't care, then cry in a corner when they are teased at school, and then there are those select few who have the balls to stand out for no other reason than because they feel like it. they don't give a damn whether or not it will negatively impact their image, because its just something they want to do. this can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. while i myself don't care how others view me, there is a time and place for everything. i'm not showing up at work in fishnets. unless i was a stripper. it basically comes down to maturity again, as i have said before. only an idiot would dare challenge his boundaries in places where he should abstain.

Well said.

And as for the original question, it would depend on the personality of the person...labels don't say much, unless they say everything.  

Oterys

BlutWolfV_V

3,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:39 pm
Oterys
Ayame_Rikimayu
Zahmen II

Well said.

And as for the original question, it would depend on the personality of the person...labels don't say much, unless they say everything.

In response to Ayame: 1) Yeah, those people are pretty dumb. 2) I don't care if people think I look crazy because I dress in the goth style or mainly wear black (not saying that's what makes me a goth). One of my friends calls me "emo" because I wear black a lot (which was pretty stupid). I have nothing against emos, but I corrected him.
In response to Oterys: True. Labels don't say a thing unless you make them.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 pm
its a life style whether your in it when your 15 or 51 its how you act dress and everything no one can tell you "oh your to young to be........" because ive seen them as young as they get for this and that  

Zandratic

6,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

God_Recalled

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:59 pm
this is dumb as hell.
no to be a true goth you have to be invited to their super underground satanic ritual gathering and drink the blood of an aids infested bat and answer tough questions like what is robert smiths underwear size and then maybe theyll let you in.
the age limit is 21 due to legality reasons.  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:34 am
XxThe ZandraxX
its a life style whether your in it when your 15 or 51 its how you act dress and everything no one can tell you "oh your to young to be........" because ive seen them as young as they get for this and that

That's right.
And as for the original question, of course it depends on the personality, and I guess Ayame_Rikimayu explained that well enough. Goth sounds like a lifestyle (based primarily on a music and fashion style along with other things.) but I think that true Goths are the ones that do it for the interest not the attention.
I, for example; found out about the label "Goth" when I was around 19 (I'm 23 now, and I'm still a goth). I have been a goth without knowing a bit about the existence of the label for 9 years before that (Yes since I was 10) and even younger than that (it showed in my choice of everything even cartoons sweatdrop ). And though I don't look goth in the least right now(For security and professional reasons where I live), people who know the subculture need very little time to classify me as part of the goth scene. I do hear the question "Can I ask you something but don't get me wrong, are you a goth?"(Being part of a subculture is considered wrong here.) a lot whenever I meet new people.  

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

vampyrebats

5,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:37 pm

[ Majority of high school goths are just going through a phase and end up completely changing when they graduate. I was pretty much goth for most of high school,( style, music, thought, every aspect of it) but I slowly drifted away from it as I got older. I still love horror movies, vampires, black clothes, but I toned it down to fit in with society. (i know, lame. lol) ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:09 pm
I would say personally Person B.
Because they are older and are still goth.  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100

L Kook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 pm
I would look at the mentality and maturity of both people.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:50 pm
L Kook
I would look at the mentality and maturity of both people.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers