Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D&D Insider

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you use D&D Insider
  yes
  no
View Results

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:23 am
I have been considering getting D&D insider recently, but I'm not sure if it's worth it...i mean, i play a lot online, but i don't really play much in person...

another thing that i am curious about, is that i now know that you get article from Dungeon and Dragon Magazine through D&D insider now, but i was wondering if they have backlogs of the magazines for me to look at...

mainly because i have seen a coupld of people be the monk class, and i'm assuming that is where they got the rules for it, and i was interested to see them myself  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:06 am
Vorastrix
I have been considering getting D&D insider recently, but I'm not sure if it's worth it...i mean, i play a lot online, but i don't really play much in person...

another thing that i am curious about, is that i now know that you get article from Dungeon and Dragon Magazine through D&D insider now, but i was wondering if they have backlogs of the magazines for me to look at...

mainly because i have seen a coupld of people be the monk class, and i'm assuming that is where they got the rules for it, and i was interested to see them myself
Backlog there was talk about cycling it out every year, but it's been more than a year since the first issues (which I believe are still free, up through 367 and 15 cool

the monk (as well as the seeker, and a couple other things are previews available to DDI subscribers, as are some playtest articles, like the monk was before being a preview, as was the barbarian and hybrid classes.

i personally like the full DDI compendium, the magazines have their high and low points.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Also with the subscribtion you get the Character Builder, which has the monk, the seeker, the assassin etc. on So it's really easy to create those characters. There is some duff stuff, but overall I think it is worth it. So, if you have the money I would suggest to buy a years subscribtion because it works out cheaper. Then again, if you don't like it, you have just shelled out a lot of money for somethin you don't like. So maybe, buy one month, see if you like it and then buy a year, which saves money...I believe.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:32 pm
The Dragon mag is looking good this month... it was lacking the last two besides the Seeker stuff... than again I enjoy stuff like Class Act and such... more or less getting Insider every two or three months us my plan... you get the update to the Character Builder a few nice pdfs access to previews  

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

SkyCore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 pm
the DDI subscrption pays for itself with the character Builder alone.

heart The Character builder. you could almost not need to buy books with the character builder. almost. you get all the powers, feats, items, build options all in one place, but they dont have rules for some of the more specific things like Familars etc.

then on top of that you get access to the online magazines, I enjoy readeing Dragon Articals. they release new items, powers and feats all the time.

if you can afford it, the subscription is well worth it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:49 pm
PrismCity
the DDI subscrption pays for itself with the character Builder alone.

heart The Character builder. you could almost not need to buy books with the character builder. almost. you get all the powers, feats, items, build options all in one place, but they dont have rules for some of the more specific things like Familars etc.

then on top of that you get access to the online magazines, I enjoy readeing Dragon Articals. they release new items, powers and feats all the time.

if you can afford it, the subscription is well worth it.

But, if you don't know a rule and you have the subscription, just head on over to the compendium and search for what you want, easy! ^^  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

SkyCore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:21 pm
I find the compendium kinda intimidating... the few times I've tried to use it i couldn't find anything... though I don't know if I've given it much of a chance.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:42 pm
PrismCity
I find the compendium kinda intimidating... the few times I've tried to use it i couldn't find anything... though I don't know if I've given it much of a chance.
i love the compendium. the builders don't work on my virtual machine, but using the compendium to make characters the old fashioned way is really easy too.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:36 am
Just don't use the character builder to create random characters. I was in a game once where the random character builder had managed to generate a cleric and a rogue with more ranger and beast hunter abilities than their respective class abilities. It made the DM sad when we all started spamming the same ridiculous dailies...  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games