Reply Japanese culture
Japanese tea ceremony

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DiegoVega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:19 pm
The Japanese tea ceremony, also called "the Way of Tea," is a multifarious cultural activity which centers on the ceremonial preparation and presentation of the powdered green tea known as matcha. In Japanese, it is called chanoyu (茶の湯) or chado (茶道;also, especially at Zen temples, pronounced sadō?). The manner in which it is performed, or the art of its performance, is known as 点前 (temae?). Zen Buddhism was integral to the development of this cultural activity, and this Zen influence pervades many aspects of it.

Tea gatherings are known as chakai (茶会?) or chaji (茶事?). Chakai generally refers to a relatively simple course of hospitality that includes the service of confections, mild tea (薄茶, usucha?), and perhaps a light meal (点心, tenshin?), whereas chaji refers to a more formal gathering usually including a full-course meal called kaiseki, followed by confections, strong tea (濃茶, koicha?), and mild tea. A chaji may last up to four hours.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 am
Hmmm, I love tea. This is something I would definitely look into in the future.  

cajega

Liberal Giver

12,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Megathread 100

DiegoVega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:06 am
Hay! I appreciate your feed back tried to start something new and it didn't take off like I had hoped it would.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:19 pm
well its good to see members who try to encourage posting as much as i try to. thanks Bruce 0539  

FALKEN DRIFT EXTREME
Captain

5,000 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

Bonbon Vanille
Vice Captain

9,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 am
In about a month Im going to start taking Tea ceremony classes so if you want i can update with anything else i find out! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:32 am
glassssscandy
In about a month Im going to start taking Tea ceremony classes so if you want i can update with anything else i find out! biggrin

I will be doing so in the near future as well! Please, keep me posted so I have idea on what to expect. Arigatou!  

BluJayWay

xX Baby Ougi Xx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:47 am
Here's another thing for you, in Japan we have simple table manners or when eating but here are the basics. 1. Never stick your chopsticks in your rice or stab your meat. 2. Before eating you recite, "Itadakimasu" which basically means (I am humble for this meal before me) basically saying you are grateful to have a meal. You usually wait until the elderly take the first bite or the host of the gathering. If you're alone or at a restaurant just dig in. xP 3. It's okay to bring your bowl to your mouth to eat. 4. If you're right handed your right hand is flat with your fingers pointing to the left and your thumb around the cup while your left hand is straight at the bottom of the cup when drinking tea. If you're left handed it's the opposite. 5. When finished eating we say, "Gochisosamadeshita" which basically means (I am very grateful for having this meal.) 6. Usually you wait until everyone is finished before leaving the table though that may alter. 7. When wearing a Yukata or Kimono you usually pick up your sleeve with your free hand when grabbing something from the table with your chopsticks so your sleeve don't touch the food. 8. Usually your wabaki or shoes are left at the entrance of the eating room. (A form of respect.) The way of removing your shoes is too hard to put into detail. Just turn around and move your feet back, the flooring or rug will push against it removing your shoes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:58 am
Or in our awkward American way, we just bend down so we look like were dancing and tug until we fall on our butts because we forgot the shoes had straps in the back.  

killerqueen121

3,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:33 pm
yeah. well the Japanese have the manner way before eating they say thank you. The Americans just go at it of the food. i think the tea ceremony is very sacrilege and well traditional  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:23 pm
When I was taking Nihongo classes at PCC in Portland, OR, I attended a chakai. It was presented by a local Japanese Culture Society. Fascinating ... What I remember most about it was that the tea was really strong. The powdered tea used wasn't strained out so it really carried a kick.  

mahojin

13,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Kakigoori_Oujo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:59 am
I attended a tea ceremony which lasted a half an hour 2 years ago just for the sake of seeing what it's like. The tea and the sweets were good, but I found that I couldn't sit comfortably and was eager for the half an hour to be up sooner.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:20 pm
私に言ってくれてありがとう
Translation: Thanks for telling me!  

Sweater Panda

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Japanese culture

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff