Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
The importance of art materials?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How important are your art supplies?
  They aren't important. I'm perfectly happy with a chewed #2 stub and a piece of lined yellow paper.
  They are very important. The better the materials the higher quality the finished artwork.
  A little of both. I can work with anything laying around, but I prefer good materials and tools.
View Results

Sazarac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:20 am
How do you rate the importance of art supplies and tools?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:06 am
I get highly irritable if left without my preferred brands/types of paper for a prolonged period of time ._. Last year I was feeling adventurous and bought a pad I'd never tried before: I've used maybe five pages total in that year.
PAPER SNOB D:  

clocktock

Sazarac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:38 pm
Oh I am totally with you! I love my Bristol.

clocktock
I get highly irritable if left without my preferred brands/types of paper for a prolonged period of time ._. Last year I was feeling adventurous and bought a pad I'd never tried before: I've used maybe five pages total in that year.
PAPER SNOB D:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:06 pm
I also have brands of art supplies that I prefer to buy. When it comes to sketchbooks, I try and find the sketchbook that has kinda thick pages. I HATE the cheapy sketchbooks with the computer paper feeling. They smudge like crazy, tear, and more easily >.>, but when it comes to pencils, I prefer to use a cheap mechanical pencil, but still have good regular pencils on hand that have a good eraser. If it's a really bad eraser, I won't buy it. But I'll usually get a big eraser just in case. When I buy colored pencils and stuff, I usually get the Crayola brand. I usually get the cheap brand, but get the one with LOTS of colored pencils 8D.

But I like to have the art materials that I'm used to, and the brands that I like. If I get an off brand, I get really pissed off, and probably won't use it. Unless it's better than the brand that I normally get. Oh, and I also hate other people's materials. I don't know where they have been. And I don't like many people using my art supplies. I'm a rather picky person '^-^  

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100

Otome Picasso

5,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:15 pm
Just test things out. See what you like and don't like. Some people don't even use sketchbooks; they might use chalkboards or dry erase boards and save themselves the money by not using paper at all for their studies and sketches. But when it comes to finish work materials and specific medium, like colored pencils, defininatly find what materials suit your style and use of medium, and don't be afriad to experiement (cause i always end up using left over supplies that i didn't exactly favor, but could use when in a pinch for money)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:41 pm
im not ppicky about brands of paper just there texture and thickness and sutch. I got one frow wallmart and it works perfectly xD
Pencil's i dont REALLY care about but id prefer mechanical pencils and soft lead pencil, and i might start using charcole o_o
it just depends biggrin  

ACDC1551

Luna Kitsune Kasumi

4,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:47 pm
Thread Poll
A little of both. I can work with anything laying around, but I prefer good materials and tools.

=) i.e. doesn't really matter too me as long as its not a chewed pencil stub with yellow lined paper.. xD

o.o yes i draw on lined paper half the time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:33 pm
I tend to go both. I usually don't like spending too much money on paper since I can be prone to wasting a lot of it with pointless doodling so I get cheap pads of paper from Wal-Mart for the most part.

However, I do like getting better quality pencils for my art supplies. Whether it's for drawing pencils or colored pencils, these utensils seem to be what I look for in possessing better quality than my other supplies.  

x Varda x

FrozenVendetta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:37 am
Since I was two i've been collecting colored pencils, and currently I have a shoebox full... So I basically when I work in colored pencils, I use what ever's lying around.

But recently I got good oil pastels and chalk, and I'm really happy with them and my special 'bleeder' pens. So I'm in the middle...  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games