Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Writing on the Wall

Back to Guilds

Are you literate? Do you write poetry, short stories, long stories, prose, roleplays. . . anything? Share your talent with the world! 

Tags: Writing, Poetry, Prose, Stories, RolePlay 

Reply The Writing on the Wall
Fair Payment: A Short Story

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

And how did this make you feel...?
  Scary
  Sad
  Disturbing
  Interesting, wanna know more
  Depressing
View Results

poet_dice07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:35 am
Celestina was clueless. There had been no scream, no crash, no warning of an intruder. Yet and still, her six-year-old niece stumbled forward, blood cascading from the firmly-planted knife in her chest and suffusing through the cotton ruffles of her dress. "Angel...what did you do?"

"I'm sorry, Auntie."

"Wha-What?" Still nothing. The horror trembling before her couldn't be reconciled with the soft music from the radio, or the smell of cheese sandwiches grilling in the oven. It made no sense.

"I killed Mommy."

The image of her sister's horribly lopsided face, twisted by pain, replaced that of her niece. Sweet, innocent Phimie, who had by no fault of her own been robbed of her purity and implanted with the legacy of a monster. Celestina remembered recoiling from that legacy. She remembered the hatred that shocked even her, lowered on the tiny, wailing, cancer that had taken her sister away. The hatred had scoffed at her when she had taken in the only thing her little sister had left to the world, named it "Angel" in its mother's wishes, and harbored it in her own home like a recurring nightmare. Now it was directly in front of her, blood raining down past its waistband to the pluming skirt, legs failing beneath it as the life oozed from them, gray eyes filling with tears that begged--

"I...I didn't want this!" Celestina choked, terrorized by the little girl kneeling now before her, clinging to her slacks to stay upright.

"But it's okay, right?" The pitiful lamb pleaded, blood bubbling and sputtering at the corners of her mouth. "Mommy can come back now, right?"

Horror gripped Celestina like an icy wave, and suddenly it all made sense. But Angel saw, and in her watery gray eyes bloomed puzzlement, then shock, then understanding.

"Right?" she coughed, the blood rising in her throat competing with her plea.

Celestina wanted desperately to turn away from those eyes, those eyes imploring Auntie to nod in agreement, to reassure the child that her payment would be returned. Her father's eyes. But Celestina could not, and somehow, beyond the pain and grief that had wracked her infantile features, the tiny girl's face broke, and a single sob escaped her reddened mouth. Her eyes became empty, and a violent shudder freed Celestina from her appealing grip. Angel fell to her side, her eyes still locked on Celestina's, but no more did they cradle the hope that her mommy, dear Phimie, could ever come back. Now neither could she.

Celestina crumpled next to the still form of her niece. Her knees rested in a slowly blooming flower of blood on the living room carpet. With a tenderness that shocked even her, she finally reached across the child's face and closed her eyes. Standing slowly, Celestina scanned the room for something to cover the child. Red-handed.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:18 pm
I loved it. I have a morbid sense of...well, mostly everything. It was intriguing, and made me want to read more. Your writing style is very clean as well; I didn't notice any mistakes, and I'm a big stickler for grammar. Your imagery is also very powerful, too! You certainly have a way with words.  

Katsody

Tipsy Bloodsucker

9,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Team Edward 100

poet_dice07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 pm
Friggin' thank you!  
The Writing on the Wall

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff