exact and inexact differentials

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

freeziepleasy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:32 am
Hello.

I am currently studying physical chemistry, and the book tried to explain exact and inexact differentials, but since they're a science book rather than a math book, their math appendix didn't give give such a clear definition (to me).

My question:

(from textbook)
"The significance of exact differentials is that if df is an exact differential (where f is a function of x and y) then the value of the following integral depends only on the limits of integration"

why? aren't all integral values depend on their limits of integration (unless you're taking an indefinate(?) integral - one with no defined limits of integration??)

AND

"However, if df is an inexact differential, then ... Unless the functional relationship between the variables x and y is known the integral cannot be carried out."

why?

overall...
I'm confused why
(∂M/∂y)x = (∂N/∂x)y

is such a huge deal when it comes to whether you can take an integral or not. and about the limits of integration part with exact differentials.

(This is not homework. We are studying work and heat, and dU and dH and the book told me to read the appendix to understand more about these topics in mathematical terms to get the conceptual stuff.)

I'm sorry if this is too much of a simple question. I'm bad at math.

Thank you to anyone who answers my question.
Links to explanations work too, but I haven't found an explanation on the net yet answering my question.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 pm
What the book is trying and failing to explain is called cohomology in general. In this particular case, the problem is that when there's a hole in your domain, such as if you didn't consider the origin, then you can have differentials where integrating along a path between two points depends on whether the path goes around the hole or not.
For instance, the function 1/(x+iy) in the complex plane is not defined at (0, 0), but if we ignore (0, 0) and look at everywhere else, 1/(x+iy) is well-defined. However, if we integrate from (1, 0) to (1, 0) along a path that goes counterclockwise around the origin once, we end up with 2πi, even though normally integrating along a closed path would give 0. A path that goes around twice would would give us 4πi, and a path that goes around clockwise around the origin once would give -2πi, and so on.

So we want to know when an integral is path-dependent, and when it isn't, and that's where exact differentials come in. The integrals of exact differentials are not path-dependent. The Poincare lemma gives us a way to tell if a differential is exact when our domain doesn't have any holes in it (more specifically, when the domain is contractible).

Your book really shouldn't be using df for its differential as that suggests right off the bat that the differential is exact.
It should be using g(x,y)dx + h(x,y)dy as the general differential, and thus saying that if (∂g/∂y) = (∂h/∂x) then we get that d(g(x,y)dx + h(x,y)dy) = 0, so g(x,y)dx+h(x,y)dy is closed, and hence by the Poincare lemma we get that on a contractible open space (basically a portion of R² without any holes in it), g(x,y)dx+h(x,y)dy = df (x,y) for some f, i.e that g(x,y) = (∂f/∂x)(x,y) and (∂h/∂y)(x,y).  

Layra-chan
Crew

freeziepleasy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:52 pm
Thank you for explaining.

Some of it, I can understand, and then some I do not, but thank you for explaining it very well.  
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games