Submit

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:14 pm
OK, so I have my first web comic (doing well too) and am contemplating starting a secondary one to start this winter (not the manga, not ready for that yet) but before I commit to a particular lay out for the secondary comic, I was wondering what it is the rest of you look for in a decent web comic?

I'm looking to possibly do a slightly random comic with a set cast of characters rather than a serialized comic with a set story line. The serialized one will eventually be my manga anyway...

Anyway, the spoon is here. Open wide:

Web comics
styles
preferred elements
manga vs American graphic novels  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm
you really can't go wrong with any DC Universe or Marvel comic...If i may suggest, go with the Marvel Wars series its kinda cool...Or...you can go with the Green Lantern's story, and I meen the whole one... xp  

NecroTech51

2,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Profitable 100

Senryoske

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:14 am
When I read comics online I really only look at it if it intrests me or is super well drawn. But if it's ehh drawn but super funny I'd read it anyways. I can't draw tho so I'm no art critic.

I like manga and american tho. as long as it intrests me  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58 am
Web comics don't have to be well drawn for me at all explosm is one that I read and they're stick figures, but it has to make me laugh. If I don't find them funny I don't read them. Other ones have a story line that I find well done, CAD is one and I've been reading that for years now. You should write about what you want to though. It's your comic and someone somewhere no matter what will read it and like it.  

God-Raped-Me

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 pm
I suppose it depends on the theme of the comic.

I used to love VGCats because they had such funny video game references. Though lately I've stopped reading them, because I find the comic too negative and cynical.

My favorite webcomic is Sluggy Freelance. It's about a group of people that always end up on weird adventures. There's a homicidal bunny who weilds a switchblade knife, an alien who often changes form and occasionally eats people, a hyperactive ferret...and so on. xp They do a lot of parodies, but there's also a really good story.

I guess the key is a good story. Something that makes people want to read the comic daily, even if it doesn't update daily. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:38 pm
Most of the webcomics that I follow have a good storyline but I don't mind some randomness. When it comes to a more random story a good sense of humour helps though. Most random comics that I have seen have been humour so I'm guessing that is what you are aiming for? The art doesn't have to be amazing but something distinctive about your style helps to make it memorable.

If you are interested, I would say that my top online comics are (and some reasons why):

Ctrl+Alt+Del (Humour and sometimes plot)
Earthsong (Plot, art)
Head Trip (Humour, when it was updating anyway...)
Looking for Group (Richard! XD)
Muse Academy (Plot, big emphasis on the Greek theme in the art)
Questionable Content (Humour, and sometimes story too.)
The Dreamer (Art, plot)
The Phoenix Requiem (Art, plot)
The Zombie Hunters (Zombies! Has experimented with the art form over time.)
Weregeek (Geeky humour and sometimes there is a story arc)  

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items