The price of cosplay!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you spend over 100$ on a cosplay?
  Yeah, totally!
  Are you nuts? Hell no!
  Depends... if I really want to nail the cosplay or not...
  I WILL SPEND AS MUCH AS I MUST TO BE THE PERFECT L!!!!!!
View Results

LenoraStone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:48 am
How much are you willing to spend for the perfect cosplay? My sister gets really into cosplay- she spent 50$ on a Misa skirt, 10$ on the leggings, 10$ on the lace gloves, and around 10$ for the Misa top. That's around 80$ on one cosplay! (She didn't need a wig). But she got this perfect L wig from Germany that had a 30$ shipping fee, and the wig itself was $35. Her L cosplay was amazing heart (possibly even better than the one in the Death Note movies, in my opinion... I'll look for a picture).

Is spending so much money ridiculous? Necessary for the perfect cosplay? I want opinions. biggrin

And lastly, how much is the most you've ever spent on one cosplay?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:22 pm
i spent $25 on long, spacious jeans, and 28 on blue converse. I dyed one of my long sleeve gray shirts, and put gel in my hair to make it look like L.  

l Sailor Lupus l
Crew

5,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200

Fluffball of Osaka

8,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:10 pm
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

I've never cosplayed anyone from Death Note, though I did buy a shirt resembling L's to use for a cosplay (Not as L though. I'm using it as a base for the uniform in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I'm sewing the collar and such onto it to save time and money). Was only £3.

The most I've ever spent on cosplay supplies was about £40. ($60?)

((Fluffy Inflatable Osaka's current account))

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm
I've never cosplayed. I might in the future, but I haven't just yet. (Of course, I didn't start liking cosplay-able stuff until about a year ago...)

I would only spend so much on it. Probably I would try to get my own stuff (I don't like how most of the cosplays look) and either sew stuff or find similar-looking things in the stores.

Then again, part of the reason I wouldn't spend that much is because I hardly ever have any money because my family is in a tight spot right now, even when we weren't so tight on money we still didn't have THAT much extra for something like a cosplay, clothes I would basically never wear.  

kourui-yume

Eijay

5,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:05 pm
I think it completely depends on the person. I know people who have spent as much as $300 on one cosplay. I personally wouldn't pay quite that much. I haven't done any expensive cosplays but I would consider it if I found something I wanted to do badly enough.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:26 am
my friends mom wanted to buy a Mrs. Lovett dress for her for comic con. The dress was 400 dollars. My friend was like "i'll just make it myself. its cheaper" and her mom kept trying to buy it.
But she made her own instead, and everyone knew who she was at the con we went to.  

l Sailor Lupus l
Crew

5,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200

Josephine Falnor

8,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:55 am
My Mom's been sewing costumes for me for years, so she helps with my cosplay stuff. When I cosplayed L, I had a $12 wig (that actually looked perfect, and it stayed on well and all that), a $5 dollar shirt that my Mom re -hemmed so it would look more like L's shirt, a pair of blue jeans that I've been breaking in for three years, and they tennis shoes. OH!! And handcuffs, that I modified with a five foot love chain for me and my Light.

I can't remember any of my cosplay outfits being super expensive. Just labor intensive. My Mom and I worked for ages on my Edward Elric costume, and when I was Sango, we did a lot of work on that. Fortunately, I already had the boomerang, as my brother had made me a Sango-cosplay boomerang for Christmas the previous year.

I think my Mello costume this year was the most expensive, as it was things I couldn't make. I got the leather vest for $12, and the belt was $20 (though really, I just needed a belt, and it happened to work for that costume), and the wig was $27. I also had gloves that were $12, and then normal black pants and boots. That may have been the most I ever spent towards a cosplay costume, but I would've made the vest if I knew how to work with leather.

Death Note Cosplay

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games