View Results

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:09 pm
So, our weekend has been less than relaxing. =)

One of the outdoor cats we feed had a second litter of kittens about a month ago (her older ones pretty much live in the empty shed in our backyard). These new kittens were in our neighbor's yard, not ours, kept mainly under their garden plants. It was cooler than it had been on Friday, and rainy. We didn't see a problem with it until my mom got home that evening. The kittens were screaming. My mom got permission to go back and get them. There were three that had been moved to the wood pile, and they were soaking wet and shaking. We brought them into our house and warmed them up/dried them with bags of warm water and towels before taking them to the local emergency vet. They told us the kittens are about 3-4 weeks old. They're temps, even an hour after we got them out of the rain, were about 98 degrees (normal temp around 101) . Otherwise, they were actually pretty healthy.

We have them inside now in a carrier crate (getting a bigger thing this week). They need food replenished every 6 hours (old enough to not need bottle/syringes, though) and tend to need stimulated to use the restroom. Maybe you didn't need to know that. > - > There are apparently more kittens still outside, but they weren't rain-exposed and are fine out with Mama Cat. Our three are all boys, with very different personalities. The gray one's the real troublemaker. He wants to play and explore and get out of the carrier constantly. My brother's thinking of naming him Chaos. The smaller of the two orange ones, my mom named Hawthorne ('cause she's an English teacher/literature nut). He's shier and gets scared more easily. He prefers snuggling and falling asleep on you over playing and has the loudest meow of any of them (probably the one Mom was hearing outside). The larger orange has the most quiet meow, but he purrs the loudest and the most. He's not really a cuddler, but his little back goes up if you pet him. He likes attention, even though he doesn't sit still well for it. He doesn't like heights at all and panics if he gets up on our legs when we're sitting down - he clings with his legs all splayed and meows. xd

Pictures of the cuteness!
User Image

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:40 pm
They are so cute. I bet you're having loads of fun with them.  

LoneWolfMaiden

7,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:53 pm
Loads of fun, but loads of work as well. So worth it, though.

Larger orange kitten finally has a name! After a bunch of searching, I decided to name him Tulio (which means lively). 3nodding He's no longer the biggest purrer - Hawthorne's taken that spot. Tulio's behavior actually reminds me a lot of my adult cat, even though they're not related. My adult cat turns his ears sideways a lot while he thinks and shoves his brother out of food bowls with his head...Tulio does the same things. They're all eating full solid food now and using the litterbox. Lots of progress for one week!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:44 pm
So cute! I love the gray one.Are you keeping any of them?

Also, have you thought about trapping Momma cat, getting her fixed through one of those tnr programs and letting her back out?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:06 pm
Vanilla eXee
So cute! I love the gray one.Are you keeping any of them?

Also, have you thought about trapping Momma cat, getting her fixed through one of those tnr programs and letting her back out?
Thought about it quite a lot. Mom originally even thought about bringing her inside earlier this summer. She's really wiped out from the two litters of kittens she's had. However, she only comes near us during food time. The live trap cage unfortunately isn't practical. She literally only comes around to eat for a few minutes a day, and there are several other cats around here that also get food from us. We can't take away all the food except for that trap, and she definitely can't be caught right now, while she's caring for the other two kittens. They don't come in our yard at all. We also couldn't leave the cage out 24/7 - we get skunks around our yard (and the neighbor's) at night and have to remove all food so they don't fight over it. I don't want to be the one trying to get a captured skunk out a live trap cage! xD

So far as the kittens go, we're keeping all three. No intentions on giving them away, ever. We've each pretty much "claimed" one as ours, since there are three of us. It'll actually work out pretty well. My brother and I already have a cat each attached to us, and now they'll have a friend to come with them when we eventually get our own homes.

Tulio is "my" kitten of the group. He likes to come right up to my face and lick my nose, or climb up my legs if I'm lying down to give him attention so he can look around from up there. Hawthorne's meow sounds like a little velociraptor. o.o It's so cute! You can always tell when it's him crying. And gray Chaos kitten is just cute as the dickens. His face is most triangular-shaped now, and he's always alert and willing to check things out. He has the biggest trouble sitting still for thinigs, but he does like to come over and make sure he gets affection.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 am
Omg.
They are so cute!
I saw the gray one and had an instant flashback.
He looks just like my cat Max did when we got him.
So cuuute!
And the orange ones are so little and cute!
They reminded me of my cat Booboo when I first got him.

Sarahmooo

LoneWolfMaiden

7,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:17 am
I'm glad the kittens are doing so well. They will have a great life with your family.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:20 pm
Updates! The kittens had their first vaccination today, the poor little things. The vet called it CPR, but the vaccine's known by several different names. Basically, it's the Feline Upper Respiratory one. They're not yet old enough for the next shots, which they're scheduled for in three weeks. One of the vet techs said they debated taking the kittens and running out the back door. Little heart melters, they are!

Little gray kitten finally has a real name! My brother named him Phantom Charm, or Phantom for short.... We end up calling him Phantom Chaos or PC sometimes. My brother doesn't like that much. xD All three are much more active now, wrestling and exploring and learning that they can arch their backs and poof their tails: especially Phantom! Hawthorne loves attention the most, but he also can't stand being left out of playtime and will protest until he can go wrestle, too. Tulio likes playing, but he sometimes moves a little slower than the other two. He's a bit of a contemplator and thinks things through more. While the other two were chasing each other earlier, Tulio made his way to our table and found the bin with their dry food. "You guys just keep busy. I'm gonna find a way into this thing...."

My mom finally got a look at their outdoor siblings today. Apparently, they're almost twice the size of our kittens (and scattered as soon as my mom came within view). What we're thinking is that all three were the smallest in the litter, and she felt she couldn't care for all of them she had. What we thought was another 2 kittens out there is actually 3-4. Apparently, she ate what she wanted of the food, then came back to our door and sat there, like she was inviting mom to go see them. ^-^

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

lovestoned637

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:47 pm
awww sooo cute how can u not say aww??!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:00 pm
Wow. This thing's in need of an update!

New picture! From left to right: Tulio, Phantom, and Hawthorne:

User Image

They're now being let out in the lower level of our house several times a day. Our adult cats aren't fond of them - Tigger tends to hiss and avoid. Jack runs. It doesn't help that Tulio for some reason thinks that Tigger's awesome, or that Jack's running encourages the kittens to play-chase after him. xd They're getting used to it....

They're all wild little things, though overall their shenanigans are typical kitten and nothing out of the ordinary. ^-^ So what if they knock an entire pitcher of water over every once in a while, right? It can get cleaned up!

(It's actually really funny to watch them knock over water, then walk over it a million times before you can clean it up. They shake their paws in dislike, but they don't try to avoid the water at all.

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
Post some more! Wewt <3 Animals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items