Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 5:: Topic: Resources.
Research - Is it worth using the resources?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 pm
Recently I've been faced a dilemma. I was out in a remote research station (that can only be reached by helicopter) doing studies with some fellow students. The amount of energy required for us get there/stay there was ridiculous. And this is just a drop in a bucket compared to how much long term researchers are using.

Now, I've never been someone who believes in research just for the sake of research - I like to see/do things that actually lead somewhere. But that's not always what happens. And even when it does have the potential to help the findings don't always tell you anything. Heck - sometimes the findings can revolutionize science but came at the cost of the environment. Do the ends always justify the means?

Also, you hear about scientists traveling the world for conferences, sampling, collaborations, etc. all the time. It's funny, we show evidence on why people need to change but then are burning around the world and wasting tons of resources (more than an average person spends in a year) in just a few weeks or months. If we are going to get people to make fundamental changes in their life, shouldn't we lead by example? It's almost similar to a politician raving on about being green then driving away in his SUV.

There are tons of ways researchers can make their studies more green and less wasteful - but there doesn't seem to be much pressure on them to do so. People are being funded to do the weirdest experiments that have no benefits other than for the sake of curiosity. Of course this has to evaluated case by case - but even then who decides what is 'worth it' or not?

Okay, so I went on a rant. To sum it up, should we be allowed to do any kind of research (even the studies that could potentially benefit us) just because we can? And, should scientists be helping lead the way by living by example?

Please note: I've been running on 3 hours of sleep for the last few days so this needs to be proofread later. heart  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:46 pm
Yes, research is worth the expenditure in resources (to a point). All research (even that which seems frivolous) teaches us something about ourselves and the world around us. Research may revolutionize science and medicine in a big way (i.e. Newton's research into the nature of gravity, The discovery of DNA, Jarvik's artifical heart, renewable energy sources) or in small ways (i.e new greener research methodologies). I do believe that responsible researchers should try to lessen the environmental impact of their research studies. I do not believe that research should be denied or curbed because someone doesn't see how it will benefit mankind.

I am glad that you had the oppurtunity to be involved with actual studies. I wish that your experience had been more agreeable to you, but this experience has caused you to think and ask questions and that after all is what research is really about.  

Isolde42

xXKelandryXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 am
I really like what you said here! I am just a high school student so when i research something it probably doesnt use up much but i do love it and i do sometimes wish i was a scientist so i could have access to the technology and opprotunities. You are right though that scientist should set a good example. If my mother told me to keep my room clean and then let her room become a mess why would i feel the need to keep my room clean(except for the fact that im a bit of a neat freak) if scientist are going to talk about how much we are destroying the earth then they need to stop destroying the earth otherwise why should anyone else. I think alot of what scientist do these days is not extreamly helpful especialy flying around the world just to argue with some other guy on whos right!! Reasearch in a wonderful thing in its self but there is so much that can be done with out using alot of resources. Even little things like using solar energy in a lab or sharing equipment could help. I think (and im no expert) but i think that alot of what goes on these days really isnt that important. Now most will dissagree with me but i think alot of cancer research is wasteful and research to make powerful weapons of war. A really good way to go green and stop using so many resources would be........STOP SENDING PEOPLE TO WAR! I do not think scientist should be doing research on things to make more destructive weapons. How is that helpful in any way? Anyways.....I'm not entirely sure what the hec all i just wrote. I just woke up after not much sleep and i'm just bored so yeah  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:04 am
i agree with both. we need to research, because we need to learn. yeah, there are some things that we don't need to get into, like building more things to destroy (though i like the idea of defending myself if i have to, there's got to be a better way). and, we don't need to muck up everything around us to do it. 'do no harm' and 'respect'. they are not new concepts, but apparently hard for people to understand.  

Metal Wallflower

xXKelandryXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:45 am
Wll there are lots of concepts that arent new but seem to be difficicult for people to understand. and maybe if everybody would shut up stop arguing and fighting and dividing themselves from others maybe just maybe we could get soemthing done. in fact wed beable to solve alot of problems  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:27 am
Even though I support scientific research, I think that plain old research that won't benefit human society is pointless and a waste of resources. Scientists should focus more on what will help humans, animals, or plants instead of doing random experiments.  

Stars Flying
Vice Captain

5:: Topic: Resources.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces