Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RoseRose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm
divineseraph
And so do Jews. Do they burn as well?

Actually, to Jews, Jesus isn't even a prophet, he is just a man, a teacher, but not a prophet.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:16 pm
RoseRose
divineseraph

Actually, to Jews, Jesus isn't even a prophet, he is just a man, a teacher, but not a prophet.

The early church was 100% Jewish at first, and even today, many Jews believe Jesus was the son of God without relinquishing any part of their Jewish heritage or customs. Just pointing out that Jews != every Jew.

Rose, what are your honest thoughts about the OP's idea about all three "Abrahamic" religions being basically the same thing?  

Bezant
Crew

Original Explorer

14,475 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200

RoseRose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:26 pm
Cherry Sodah
RoseRose
divineseraph

The early church was 100% Jewish at first, and even today, many Jews believe Jesus was the son of God without relinquishing any part of their Jewish heritage or customs. Just pointing out that Jews != every Jew.

Rose, what are your honest thoughts about the OP's idea about all three "Abrahamic" religions being basically the same thing?

Mainstream Judaism (especially Conservative [my branch] and Orthodox) see those Jews as heretics at best, converts to Christianity of some form at worst. By "Jews", I was referring to the common authorities on Judaism that prophecy had ceased by the 1st century BC. According to this website I found (a Christian one, the first of a Google search) Prophets the last one was in about the 5th century. That's where I'm coming from.

As for the assertion... all of them are RELATED, certainly... but not the same thing, and far too different to be joinable... all of them. Judaism and Christianity can't be joined without loosing something fundamental, same with Islam. They all can learn to understand each other better... and I don't believe in converting others, either, unless they come and seek it. Judaism, at least modern Judaism, discourages converts.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:37 pm
RoseRose
Judaism, at least modern Judaism, discourages converts.
No kidding. rolleyes  

Silver Wingling

RoseRose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:24 am
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
No kidding. rolleyes

There ARE reasons. Being Jewish is tough... Judaism isn't about saving people... it's about being "a light unto the nations". That's a hard job... it's hard to convert, because the rabbis want to make sure you're dedicated to it. It's not easy to be Jewish, especially in an area with few Jews.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:00 am
RoseRose
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
No kidding. rolleyes

There ARE reasons. Being Jewish is tough... Judaism isn't about saving people... it's about being "a light unto the nations". That's a hard job... it's hard to convert, because the rabbis want to make sure you're dedicated to it. It's not easy to be Jewish, especially in an area with few Jews.
Its harder being Messianic Jewish, you get blasted from both Gentiles because your Jewish and from Jews because your Christian. sweatdrop  

famusamu
Captain

Bezant
Crew

Original Explorer

14,475 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:14 am
RoseRose
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
No kidding. rolleyes

Franz Rosenzweig's Star of Redemption says something like that - that the Jewish people are near the light, but with their back to it, facing the rest of the world. They are not permitted to see the light themselves, because of their position. But when the world looks at the Jews, they see the light as well.

Very interesting...very strange.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 am
famusamu
RoseRose
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
No kidding. rolleyes

Its harder being Messianic Jewish, you get blasted from both Gentiles because your Jewish and from Jews because your Christian. sweatdrop
Well, some of your fellow Messianics have hurt your case by being obnoxious about trying to convert Jews to being J4J (Jews for Jesus is notably the most obnoxious Messianic group... I don't think they're true Messianics, from what I've read... they're the arm of the Southern Baptists for converting Jews). Part of the problem is that J4J has pissed off a lot of people, and they don't realize all Messianics aren't like that. Me? I may not consider you truly Jewish, but as long as you don't try to convert me, I'm fine with you.  

RoseRose

Silver Wingling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:17 pm
RoseRose
famusamu
RoseRose
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
No kidding. rolleyes

Well, some of your fellow Messianics have hurt your case by being obnoxious about trying to convert Jews to being J4J (Jews for Jesus is notably the most obnoxious Messianic group... I don't think they're true Messianics, from what I've read... they're the arm of the Southern Baptists for converting Jews). Part of the problem is that J4J has pissed off a lot of people, and they don't realize all Messianics aren't like that. Me? I may not consider you truly Jewish, but as long as you don't try to convert me, I'm fine with you.
Yeah... in my opinion J4J are just not the same thing as Messianics...  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:45 pm
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
famusamu
RoseRose
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
No kidding. rolleyes

Thing is, on the surface they do look the same... and they're the most visible Jews who believe in Jesus. And they are very, very obnoxious.  

RoseRose

famusamu
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:09 am
RoseRose
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
famusamu
RoseRose

Thing is, on the surface they do look the same... and they're the most visible Jews who believe in Jesus. And they are very, very obnoxious.
J4J's are a protestant christian organization, they don't keep Shabbat nor do they stick to the Torah. But saying all Messianics are like J4J's would be like saying all Orthodox Jews believe Rabbi Schneerson was the Mashiach.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:26 am
famusamu
RoseRose
Talmar_Star_Blood
RoseRose
famusamu
RoseRose

J4J's are a protestant christian organization, they don't keep Shabbat nor do they stick to the Torah. But saying all Messianics are like J4J's would be like saying all Orthodox Jews believe Rabbi Schneerson was the Mashiach.
It's like how Anne Coulter makes Republicans look bad, or how the extreme anti-man feminists make feminists look bad. They're not representative of the group, but they ARE the most visible, sometimes the only ones that are visible.  

RoseRose

Messianic Jewish Guild, an open dialog between Jews and Christians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces