Welcome to Gaia! ::

House of Rahl: A Sword of Truth Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for fans of the book series, Terry Goodkind, and yes, even the tv series. 

Tags: Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth, Rahl, Seeker, Role Play 

Reply Azrith Plains
Speculative question about Nathan Rahl Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raven Rahl
Captain

Desirable Wolf

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:36 pm
This is a very good thread. Many great points have been brought up that have wonderful possibilities. Personally, I think it could be either A) he was the second son of the Lord Rahl and as was previously stated, sent away, or B)Went willingly after he was older to as was said (live forever), but the sister's didn't tell him the whole truth that his stay would be as a prisoner.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:34 pm
Britainian_Knight
Here's the way I've come to see it.

For starters the house of Rahl has been spelled so that every Lord Rahl will come to have a gifted heir, regardless of the declining trend of the gifted bearing gifted offspring. Any gifted has the chance to bear a gifted offspring, which while becoming increasingly rare does still occur. The Lord Rahl at the time bore two gifted sons, one from the spell and one from his own gift, hence Nathan.

Historically Noble or Royal houses with multiple sons would often send one away so as not to cause a division in the family. Such a division often occurred in the late king or lord dying without choosing his heir, an ensuing break could spark a civil war in the kingdom and lead to it's own downfall. This is where the famous saying "a house divided cannot stand" originally came from.

Putting history with fiction would result in his father the Lord Rahl at the time sending off his second son to protect both the sons and his kingdom from potential disaster. This decision, though difficult made the Lord Rahl give up his son to the Sisters of the Light(Most likely come by his own command) to take Nathan across the barrier to be trained in his gift, and training the brother to become the next Lord Rahl himself.

And yes this is very simplified and boiled down, so if anything doesn't make sense let me know and I'll be sure to clarify.

The problem with this theory is that "The Rahl Curse" allows the lord Rahl to have one, and only one son with the gift. All other children are prestinly ungiften childen and therefore can not have the gift. Therefore any brothers or sisters that Nathan would have had would have been Prestinely ungifted. And as we discovered from the books the Rahls kill Prestinely ungifted children in their line.

Otherwise this would have been an acceptable Theory, but as we know there is no cheating magic, so because of the Rahl curse no lord Rahl after Alric, could have ever birthed two sons with the gift.  

Draconous07

Raven Rahl
Captain

Desirable Wolf

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:35 pm
Draconous07
Britainian_Knight

For starters the house of Rahl has been spelled so that every Lord Rahl will come to have a gifted heir, regardless of the declining trend of the gifted bearing gifted offspring. Any gifted has the chance to bear a gifted offspring, which while becoming increasingly rare does still occur. The Lord Rahl at the time bore two gifted sons, one from the spell and one from his own gift, hence Nathan.

Historically Noble or Royal houses with multiple sons would often send one away so as not to cause a division in the family. Such a division often occurred in the late king or lord dying without choosing his heir, an ensuing break could spark a civil war in the kingdom and lead to it's own downfall. This is where the famous saying "a house divided cannot stand" originally came from.

Putting history with fiction would result in his father the Lord Rahl at the time sending off his second son to protect both the sons and his kingdom from potential disaster. This decision, though difficult made the Lord Rahl give up his son to the Sisters of the Light(Most likely come by his own command) to take Nathan across the barrier to be trained in his gift, and training the brother to become the next Lord Rahl himself.

And yes this is very simplified and boiled down, so if anything doesn't make sense let me know and I'll be sure to clarify.

The problem with this theory is that "The Rahl Curse" allows the lord Rahl to have one, and only one son with the gift. All other children are prestinly ungiften childen and therefore can not have the gift. Therefore any brothers or sisters that Nathan would have had would have been Prestinely ungifted. And as we discovered from the books the Rahls kill Prestinely ungifted children in their line.

Otherwise this would have been an acceptable Theory, but as we know there is no cheating magic, so because of the Rahl curse no lord Rahl after Alric, could have ever birthed two sons with the gift.
That's not true. Not ALL other children were pristinely ungifted, look at Drefan. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, they said at least one gifted Rahl offspring, not only one.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:47 pm
Lord Raven Rahl
Draconous07
Britainian_Knight

That's not true. Not ALL other children were pristinely ungifted, look at Drefan. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, they said at least one gifted Rahl offspring, not only one.

Lol, Yes Drefen does give the apparence of being a gifted child, but if you read back Drefen is tested as a child and to his mother horror he is declared a prestinely ungifted son of Darken Rahl. He is though how to manipulate other peoples auras, which is what gives him the apparence of having the gift. This ability was taught to him by the Raug'Moss healers that hios mother left him with when she killed herself.  

Draconous07

Britainian_Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:58 pm
Drefan was ungifted, yes. Pristinely? NO. please actually note that Pillars of Creation states that although being born with the gift is rare (even with the spell) Being born pristinely ungifted is still much more rare. The reason there was such a large problem was that every offspring of one of these Pillars of Creation was also born pristinely ungifted. If you don't believe me please feel free to reread pillars of creation.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:17 pm
Ok, that statement on the SoT wiki is wrong and I'll edit it in a minute. I have proof that Drefan was not pristinely ungifted. Chapter 67 of Temple of the Winds where Richard faces Drefan states:

"Drefan drew the Sword of Truth. The ring of steel that Richard knew so well echoed around the stone room, a chime that seemed to awaken him into a nightmare. Richard could see the rage from the sword, the magic take Drefan's eyes."

If he were pristinely ungifted, he would've felt nothing as he held the sword.  

Raven Rahl
Captain

Desirable Wolf

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Draconous07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:13 am
Well, i must ceede this debate for the moment. I may have mis-read the details of the Rahl curse, But see as i can not fin it at the present time, i can not prove evidence either way. However once i stumble upon it, i'll post it.

One other point, I do believe they talked about Drefen having a close relationship with the Keeper. True or false? (was not a huge fan of drefen so i'm going to need to re-read most of the parts with him in it before the next post about him.)

If it was true, who knows the limits of what the Keeper can do for a prestinely ungiften....  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 am
I really like this thread.

My speculation. The whole, kill all else, save one heir, was something that started later, nearer to Panis' time, than Alric's.

What if Nathan, supposedly extremely gifted with prophecy, even at a young age, wasn't a mite crazy with untrained prophecy running through his head all the time. His parents sent him off to heal him maybe??
Or could the sisters of light have been hiding as midwives.
Maybe they stressed the importance to the Rahl monarch of that time.
Or Nathan saw his path having to go farther than a normal life to end some of the worst prophecies he lay witness to.

Also, he only took his Rada'han off after Zedd did it a few times. It is possible he knew he had to leave and that event unlocked his understanding, just feeling Zedd manipulate it, and he then knew the trick to it.

Or he just had to get some important things done at the palace of the prophets, like stopping the arrival of the child tyrant, then get out of the bloody prophet's rooms that were spelled against his type by the wizards of old. Remember, he only had additive. Strong additive, but only one side of the coin.  

Ianus Diabolus

Raven Rahl
Captain

Desirable Wolf

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:28 am
Ianus Diabolus

My speculation. The whole, kill all else, save one heir, was something that started later, nearer to Panis' time, than Alric's.

What if Nathan, supposedly extremely gifted with prophecy, even at a young age, wasn't a mite crazy with untrained prophecy running through his head all the time. His parents sent him off to heal him maybe??
Or Nathan saw his path having to go farther than a normal life to end some of the worst prophecies he lay witness to.

Also, he only took his Rada'han off after Zedd did it a few times. It is possible he knew he had to leave and that event unlocked his understanding, just feeling Zedd manipulate it, and he then knew the trick to it.

Or he just had to get some important things done at the palace of the prophets, like stopping the arrival of the child tyrant, then get out of the bloody prophet's rooms that were spelled against his type by the wizards of old. Remember, he only had additive. Strong additive, but only one side of the coin.
Technically Nathan got his Rada'han off before Zedd did. Remember Nathan used the destruction of the Palace of the Prophets to help get it off, or so they speculated. The first time Zedd took his collar off to show those tavern patrons was well after that, when Zedd and Ann were chasing him.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 pm
Lord Raven Rahl
Ianus Diabolus

Technically Nathan got his Rada'han off before Zedd did. Remember Nathan used the destruction of the Palace of the Prophets to help get it off, or so they speculated. The first time Zedd took his collar off to show those tavern patrons was well after that, when Zedd and Ann were chasing him.

That raises the question, since is was so easy for Zedd, did he have to take it off to weave the light web around the travel journal? Or did he just do it through it?  

Ianus Diabolus

dot_hack_ver2

2,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 pm
he said it only took him a few days to take it off so yes he took it off to cast the light web as for my opinion on nathan what pepole are doing is misinterpreting the rahl curse not ALL children are pristinely ungifited only a very few are just over the years the rahl family killed any without the gift even the little spark of one so two heirs is not that implausible of an idea  
Azrith Plains

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff