Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
Tents, yurts, camping shelters of all kinds Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your SCA encampment like?
  Period all the way: tent, sleeping accommodations, cooking, even our underwear! RAR!
  Sweatpants or flowery peasant skirt, a long-sleeved tunic, and a space-age type tent I got from REI. Hey, I just go for the booze.
  Somewhere in between the two extremes. I'll post.
  Poll-troll option.
View Results

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:10 pm
Modern tents are sized by how many sleeping bags you can roll out inside them, edge to edge. No one actually sleeps like that.
Except maybe on the floors of hotel rooms at cons or on the living room floor of someone with crash space.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:54 am
Kittywitch, excellent point. The first time I bought a tent to go camping, I read the package that said "Sleeps three," and thought it was actually true. I thought it meant there would be room for me, my best friend, our gear, and another friend and her gear too. No chance. We wound up stashing our 'hard' gear outside, and used our softer gear (garb and such) for pillows, and still hating one another come morning, because two of us were pressed to the outer tent wall and therefore wet all along one side. Never again! Now when I buy a tent for two, I'll be getting one that says "sleeps 6" at a minimum!

Actually, I'm planning to get one next week. REI is having a sale on floor models and bought-and-returned models, up to 80% off in some cases, so I've got my eye on some two-person (meaning, sleeps 6) tents. I wouldn't spend $300 to get a perfect one out of the box, but getting it even half off makes them more reasonable to buy, at least until I can afford to make or buy a yurt. Yes, they're modern-ugly, but I can cover them up with a white sheet so they'll look Period enough from a distance.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Mrsbruhaha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 am
Kittywitch
I would like to mention my personal peeve about people taking obtrusively modern campers to events. They could at least put a little livery on it. It's not a big thing, but it's becoming more common and it annoys me. I rather feel as if they're missing the point.

hence why i wanted to put mine UNDER a easy up, that at 10 yards looks perfectly passable as a period pavilion. razz
my problem is that i have a hard time sleeping in strange places, or when it's not dark enough, or when i can't find that groove in the ground to fit my hip, or i have that root digging into said hip. and i have yet met an air matress that agrees with my fat a**, i usually wake up the next morning on the ground anyway. and you can't cuddle on cots. and no matter how waterproof they claim to be, i've woken up with puddles in my tent before.
when i don't get enough sleep i can be kinda cranky or downright unpleasent to be around. and i'd rather not ruin someone elses event by it smile

bear in mind, i am only defending my idea.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 am
Kittywitch
Modern tents are sized by how many sleeping bags you can roll out inside them, edge to edge. No one actually sleeps like that.
Except maybe on the floors of hotel rooms at cons or on the living room floor of someone with crash space.
Oh tell me about it. I've been going camping since I was a kid so I'm well aware of this. However many people it says it fits, you should at least halve it to get a more accurate idea of the space.  

Runa Whynd

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:29 pm
hey, any suggestions on where to buy/how to make a Viking A frame tent?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:52 am
Hello?
Did everyone run away to Pennsic?  

Runa Whynd

Seilde

Aged Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:03 pm
I have a big cabin tent. It's not period but I have one of those wooden bed things and a wooden clothes rack to go it it.

I love decorating my tent for the longer events. 4laugh I have all these rugs for the floor and fabric that I drape from the walls and celling. I also have a beautiful lantern I hang from the center. =3 The outside gets decorated also.

I love it.

<3  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm
Sorry, no, I'm not at Pennsic, just taking a couple days rest offline.

Where to buy a Viking A-frame tent (or pretty much any other kind of tent your little heart desires): Panther Primitives. I've heard from SO many sources now -- Gaia, Yahoo groups (nine at last count), and when walking around mentioning "I love your tent, where did you get it?"... According to pretty much everyone, Panther Primitives are the best, with only one exception: they don't make yurts. They'll cover a yurt frame if you can buy or make one, but they don't make the frames themselves. If you want a yurt, go to Traders of Tamerlane.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:47 pm
Thank you. I will have to check those out.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:26 pm
Mrsbruhaha
and i have yet met an air matress that agrees with my fat a**, i usually wake up the next morning on the ground anyway.
I agree with you about air mattresses, they never last for two full camping seasons and they aren't any fun for skinny asses either.
I know that alot of people will think to themselves "if she's even got a skinny a**, what's her problem", but being closer to the modern idea of attractive is little comfort when your bony little pelvis is pressing into hard Stonemarche rocks.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers