Submit

Vote
  Yes
  No
View Results

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:05 am
The state I live in, Western Austalia, has voted "No" to Daylight Savings THREE (3) separate times.

In spite of that, we have just finished a 3 year trial.

Now WA's 1.34 million electors can vote on the future of Daylight Saving referendum a to be held on Saturday May 16.

The question to be asked is :
"Are you in favour of daylight saving being introduced in Western Australia by standard time in the state being advanced one hour from the last Sunday in October 2009 until the last Sunday in March 2010 and in similar fashion for each following year?''

I am voting No becuase, while I'm not overly fussed, I enjoy the summer mornings, I think it pushes the heat of summer into the evening, and I think October to March is too long. By March it's dark on my way to work - yuck! Plus Perth (WAs capital city where I live) it at a latitude where we don't really need it compared to some of Australia's other states.

So, Discuss; DLS, pros, cons and why you like/dislike it in your home state.

No flaming please. There are good reasons for and against. All opinions welcome.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:00 am
Pro: Longer evenings.
Con: Interruption of schedule and loss of productivity during transition period.

Pro: Saves energy (But this is up for debate, depending on whom you ask)

Here in Texas, I think it's just not needed, if you ask me. We are pretty far south and even in the winter it's daylight until 5PM standard time.

I like the longer summer evenings, but I hate to lose an hour of sleep in the fall. I'm against it. We all should just stay on standard year-round.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100

ebony etta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:14 pm
I live in Victoria (Australia) and we've always had it! So I wouldnt know any better, lol.

But I really dont like it when it's already dark at like 5pm when I drive home from work. It's like I've completely lost my late afternoon/early evening.  
21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games