Reply The Physics and Mathematics Guild
How Do We Feel

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aminab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:03 pm
Ok so I just recently learned that nothing ever touches because our atoms repel then how do we feel.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:17 pm
Shikimari2
Ok so I just recently learned that nothing ever touches because our atoms repel then how do we feel.

Without getting too into details (which would no doubt be wrong, if I'm talking about any subject):

The components of atoms rarely touch each other because of electron repulsion, but that repulsion still creates a force. When we "touch" something - put our atoms close to something else - we feel the pressure of the electrons pushing back. The nerves in our skin can interpret that pressure and send a signal about it to the brain.

That's my random stab at it, I'm sure someone here's done neuroscience or microbiology.  

Swordmaster Dragon

Layra-chan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:33 pm
Dragon has it basically right. Even without direct contact, there is still a force felt between atoms, and it is that force that we feel.

If you want to think of it in terms of funny particle stuff, there are actual things touching, in that every matter particle (protons, electrons, etc) is constantly sending off force particles (photons, weak bosons, etc) and these particles do touch other matter particles. So in a sense things are touching, it's just that atoms don't touch each other directly, but instead just send and touch these force particles.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:01 pm
Note that atoms even have Energy.

E=MC^2 Energy is fundamental in this world. That force is what we call Energy.  

Smartteaser192

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:32 pm
Wow! I didn't know that! Well, now I do. That is very interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:51 pm
Smartteaser192

E=MC^2 Energy is fundamental in this world. That force is what we call Energy.

Yes, energy is a fundamental concept but energy is not a force. I think of it as a quantity that describes the ability of something to do work. Work is defined as a force acting over a distance. MC^2 is the energy of a particle at rest.  

Mecill

SuchSweetSadism

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 am
I always found that cool.

Also... if I remember correctly, if they do touch they meld together. Imagine touching someones hand, and melding right into it?  
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games