Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply Help/Resources
Need help translating: Spanish to English

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you speak Spanish?
  Maybe...
  Ehh...
  Muy Bien
  Mal
  *Searches Dictionary for "No"* . . . "No."
View Results

Johnny T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 am
So my friend says to me "como deveras," then leaves...
Oooohh-kaaayy...weirdo...

So what's it mean? I suspect it might be slightly wrong, or slang...I got a few ideas, but I can't say anything til I'm sure.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:53 pm
Como is quite possible "I eat..."
and I have NO idea what deveras is. Sorry.

You friend is most likely saying "I eat ---"  

Amazing Afro Girl
Crew

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200

Darii

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 pm
Although it is true that "como" can be the present 1st person conjugation of comer (to eat), what they said is probably "comó", or "how". (Like in ¿Comó estás?)

I don't know what deveras means, I think it's something to do with one's state of being. That's probably not the right spelling though because babelfish can't get it. It looks like it was an -ar verb conjugated in the 2nd person informal present form, though.

In Spanish, you don't need to include the subject, as long as the verb conjugation points out who it's referring to. That's why it doesn't have the word "tú" in it anywhere, even though it is referring to "you".

In short- It's more like "How (you) ________".
(It might mean "How are you?", but that's a strange thing to say and then walk away without a response. I'm pretty sure it's not profane though.)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:55 am
Darii
Although it is true that "como" can be the present 1st person conjugation of comer (to eat), what they said is probably "comó", or "how". (Like in ¿Comó estás?)

I don't know what deveras means, I think it's something to do with one's state of being. That's probably not the right spelling though because babelfish can't get it. It looks like it was an -ar verb conjugated in the 2nd person informal present form, though.

In Spanish, you don't need to include the subject, as long as the verb conjugation points out who it's referring to. That's why it doesn't have the word "tú" in it anywhere, even though it is referring to "you".

In short- It's more like "How (you) ________".
(It might mean "How are you?", but that's a strange thing to say and then walk away without a response. I'm pretty sure it's not profane though.)

Oh yeah! It could be the "how" version! I didn't realise that! Cause there was no accent mark. :O  

Amazing Afro Girl
Crew

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:26 pm
Does this help? No "como" there though.

Edit: Wait. That was from January? XD;  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:34 am
i know this is from agesss ago, but i'mma answer it anyways.
it's used as a kind of 'slang'.
it's pretty much "how you going?"

diffun

Help/Resources

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas