Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.
A Town Without Any People (A Chobits Discussion)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Millenium Walken

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:51 pm
I thought the deepest thing about Chobits was the fact that at it's core, it was an allegory of human social life. In Japan, since women lose all of their rights the second they get married, most of them don't want to even date, which leads to a lot of the male youths spending all of their time cooped up in their rooms with their computers. The story took it one step forward, with those computers having the shapes and actions of humans.
It's not just Japan either, although it's most serious there. All over the world, there are people who would rather be on a computer than in social situations, myself included. And the overall theme of Chobits was the pain that this can cause to society if it happens on a general scale. There are probably some people reading this right now who use Gaia as their social life, so to those people I ask, how removed from society would you be if your computer was humanoid, and could be programmed to have any personality you wanted? To be subservient, to never judge you, or even to imitate the notion that they love you?
Hell, since numerous human female characters in the show have to live with the fact that their lovers left them for these dream computers, with pristine good looks and the subservient qualities that many men long for, you could almost say that this show is a thickly veiled feminist piece- If men can't get their ideal woman in real life, they'll buy a fake one instead.
Basically, what this discussion boils down to is, if there were persocoms available in the real world, and you had enough money, would you buy one? If so, how would you treat it? What would you program for it's personality? How would it change the way you interacted with actual people?
Do you think fanboys and fangirls would live out their fantasies with custom made character persocoms? Like, for example, Every single Twilight fangirl ordering their own Edward persocom?
Or, if you'd like, just tell me your general thoughts about the show.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:37 pm
i own chobit mangas but regarding that one im so shallow like hideki... too much for me to understand it... xd  

alvhinne

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:48 pm
Very interesting. I've never pondered that side of the story before as I've always been caught up in the taboo aspect of humans loving machines. But I guess the two issues intermingle. When you think about it, computers really can't replace human beings, nor will they ever simulate emotions as deep as true love.

In general, most of the people who are tied to their computers actually wish they had social lives. Men get sexual fixes online to replace women, but never vice versa. I think, even in a case where computers compare to humans visually and intelligently (in the form of persacoms) knowing that they aren't real people would still cause their owners to yearn for social interaction.

I reckon a lot of shallow people would buy into this idea of purchasing the "perfect partner", but their superficial love wouldn't sustain a lifelong desire for companionship. Then again, maybe I'm wrong; a certain Futurama episode springs to mind when I think about humans dating robots XP

T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games