Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:16 am
X_X What a mess. Thursday night I was heading to bed when I heard all these popping sounds outside. They sounded like gunshots, which normally isn't too worrying as I live way out in a rural town and some of the neighboors shoot in their back yards sometimes. However, it was raining really hard Thursday night, so I didn't think anyone would be out.
As I'm trying to figure out the noises, a huge branch comes down off the tree outside my window and yanks the phone line off the side of the house. gonk About a half hour later, the transformer on the utility pole blew with a sound like a cannon blast and we lost all power in the house.
It was a really bad ice storm. I couldn't stay in my room in case the huge pine tree decided to throw itself at our house, which it didn't fortunately.
Everybody in the neighborhood, and people all over MA and New Hampshire spent Thursday night listening to trees falling and branches crashing in the dark.
I've never had a more terrifying night. It was like being in a completly dark room with a monster rampaging outside in the dark.
Last night, we finally had power restored, and we're very very lucky. There are still many homes in MA and NH that are still without power and heat. sweatdrop As bad as it was to be without heat/electricity/and plumbing, I am so thankful that there was no damage to our house or the houses of our neighboors. And I'm also very thankful that we didn't have to spend last night without heat.
So ATG, what are your own experiences with ice storms/sleepless scary nights/power outtages?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:09 am
In my city, we have a big metal power station thing that all the electricity goes through. One night a few years back a squirrel decided to off itself or something by jumping into it. The little b*****d lost power for most of our city for a night. Lucky it was in the summer, so it wasn't cold or anything.

I've had 2 transformers blow in the same night on my street too. That's always a fun experience. Then again, in Michigan, weather is always really messed up and creating annoying storms. We've had quite a few bad ones in the past 4 - 5 years here.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Omochii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:41 am
Whoa...well, thank God you're alright Kyla. @_@ That sounds terrifying.

I live near the middle of England. Nothing really happens here: we don't get tornadoes, storms, blizzards...and when it rains, everywhere else floods cus' we're on higher ground. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:28 am
o.o; sorry to hear, kyla. im glad everythings okay!

that same ice storm also knocked my power out, and made a tree kill my car
we were without heat or electricity, but we kept our water, thank gawd.

only a few of my friends have power, and they only got it back on today.
national grid suckss. but we got it back friday afternoon sooo.. my house has been a hotel of sorts for my friends smile  

nataleanne

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:00 pm
Oh geez! Sorry about your car. Glad you've got power back though.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:11 pm
yeah so am i. with no car and no power, i was freaking. but.. i have power now so at least i can run away to the atg smile  

nataleanne

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:24 pm
We had no power at my house from 7am until 3pm...and it went on and off during the night Thursday. I just went to work as usual, but I am used to foul NE weather. I got stuck for hours on the roud when we had that blizzard last year...well, I wasn't stuck, I just had to deal with those who got stuck.

For me, my worst experience was being outside when a tornado touched down quite a few years back. That summer we had a lot of really bad storms as I recall.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:19 pm
Thal! I was gonna call you to see if you were ok. I saw that you'd logged on Friday, so I figured you were. 3nodding  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:40 pm
Yeah...it takes more than a nor'easter to stop me! mrgreen

I'm still trying to figure out how the turkeys in the forest behind my house survived. Those are some tough birds!

Glad to here you you got your power back and your well. I was wondering how hard your area got hit.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:26 pm
My town was hit really bad. There were trees and branches down everywhere. We weren't hit the worst, but it was really bad @.@ There were so many near misses too *Shudders*  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers