Reply Community Lounge
Potluck Food Etiquette

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:24 am
Alright, so this is a stupid excuse for a topic. I'm bringing over a fruit salad for a potluck (my assigned dish). However, the fruit salad recipe I decided to make is essentially an ambrosia -- a type of fruit salad generally made with a combination of whipped cream, sour cream, and mayonnaise (each isn't required -- I just did whipped cream and seasoned with vanilla and candied orange zest). Though a traditional ambrosia would put the whipped topping on top, chill for up to a day, and fold it into everything before serving, would it be better to keep the topping and fruit separate? Technically it would be more inclusive to the guests (some may be lactose-intolerant or just hate whipped cream) but it would lose some of the dish's integrity by not putting the cream in as normal (if put in before chilling some of the fruit flavours and juices will mingle with the cream).

Discuss: Potluck Dishes, What Other Garnishes to put on a Fruit Salad (Was considering picking up some mint sprigs...)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:11 am
Kals is questing again!
Uh you could use a non dairy whipped topping, like cool whip?

I've never heard of anyone using mayo or sour cream in ambrosia, by the way. Just whipped cream and those stupid coloured mini marshmallows. Sometimes they whip the whipped cream with gelatin.

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:35 am
But fake whipped cream is just gross, Kalsie! gonk

If I'm going to have whipped cream I'll have the good stuff. The mayo and/or sour cream is by taste, I believe. I don't do marshmallows and I prefer a slightly-sweetened, slightly-vanilla'd heavy whipping cream in the ambrosia I make and then I garnish with either mint leaves, candied orange zest (what I'm doing for this one), or some form of spice. I guess I'm doing ambrosia wrong but it tastes quite heavenly.

It's also usually a very small amount (1-2 tablespoons to 1/3 cup of heavy cream) of either mayonnaise or sour cream. It supposedly adds to a slight tang but I'm just not fond of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:56 pm
Kals is questing again!
I'm not fond of ambrosia, period. I think it is disgusting.

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash