Reply Community Lounge
Love it! Notebooks. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:11 am
I have delicate hands, so it's hard for me to type on bigger keyboards. sweatdrop
Our desktop takes a little while... and it makes me ******** HATE Yahoo! Messager.
That's why I want a Mac, Pan-Pan. Adobe is nice, but the Mac-aroni (ugh lame joke) is, like, the total package. Also, I can't build s**t. =D
-O=O-
Less than a half a day left:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Less than two days left:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 am
It depends on the person. Some people don't like mac and some do. Others love pc's.
Mac also has the option of building your own computer.

I suck at explaining myself.
Bleh. I like the feel of it better than a pc and it doesn't lag as much.
It also has a lot better graphics and to be a photographer I'm going to edit my pictures and so a mac would be better.
For some it's just a status symbol.  

sahihen

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:17 am
Blah. Everything's a status symbol...
-O=O-
Less than a half a day left:
Less than two days left:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 am
PC's don't always lag as much. Just depends on how many resources your computer has to allocate to certain programs. My computer NEVER lags unless I'm on WoW while downloading something, or a game that's very graphic intensive while I have a bunch of other things running.

Also, Macs don't have better graphics, just a more clear display, which you can get a new monitor for your PC with that. What it comes down to with graphics is which graphics CARD you have. Yes though, overall, Macs are BETTER with Media editing, but you can do it almost as easily on PC, that's all I'm saying.

One last thing, when I say build a PC, I mean get the parts, put it together yourself, and overclock it if you so choose. Macs idea of building your own is telling them what you want in it, and they do it for you, if I'm not mistaken that is...

Either way, as you said. Some people prefer Macs, some PCs.

Personally, I dual boot my PC. Most of the hard drive is given to windows, but about 20 - 30 gigs is given to a Linux partition in case I wish to code something, or do something along those lines.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

sahihen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:29 am
Yup. You tell them what you want and they make it.

The family computer is a few years old and was wired wrong so I have no doubt a lot of the stuff on it are damaged in some way.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:38 am
Well, you probably have a lot of things set to start at boot. That's as easy as:

Start > Run > MsConfig > Start up > (Un-check things you don't want to boot at startup ) > Apply > Restart ( or just exit without restart if you wish, it's up to you. ) It does help to have someone who knows computers to do that, as some of the things in that list are NEEDED at start up. Don't go unchecking anything or your computer may not boot correctly, or at all.

That will make it run a bit faster on start up, THEN you could always Uninstall some things, clear up some space, and make sure the computer is healthy and threat / Spyware / Adware / Malware free and it will run even smoother. Though, depending on the OS on the computer, and it's internals it may be able to be helped only to a point.

If a computer is wired wrong though, there's a chance that it won't be starting up at all, or if it did, it'd have fried out FAST. You probably just have something leeching on your resources somewhere, or bogging it down ( like unwanted programs or something ) which, as I stated before, can be fixed by removing them from the start up queue, or just uninstalling certain things.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

sahihen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:08 am
Sorry I meant ti say it was wired wrong when we got it. We had a friend tell us a list of parts to get then the computer place put it all together. They wired it wrong. We had a really good hard drive die on us that shouldn't have, Problems with fans, it wouldn't start, and more that I forget. The computer place charged us outragously for crap service so we took it somewhere else and they re-wired it and to this day we still have problems...
I'm not going to touch it... I don't know anything about computers and I have my own. I'm told it runs a bit faster because someone took out some programs.

For some reason though the computer has a bad habbit of killing fans..  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:42 am
Voltage is too high probably. That or it's not cleaned enough and the dust build up is ******** with the spinning of the fans. We have a computer upstairs ( Well, I do, but the family took it over ) that's killed two fans due to a mix of both problems. For some reason TOO much voltage is going to that fan and that fan only, and they don't know how to clean it out, so dust builds up on the fans and ruins them.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:56 am
We had that happen a few times on our old desktop - we had to disable the built-in fan and set an oscillating one on a cinder block behind to tower.
-O=O-
Less than two days left:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:04 pm
It's a bit more complicated than that (the whole Mac versus PC argument when it comes to media/DTP) but it's not that much more complicated. The long story short is the operating system has much better support for various colour spaces, colour calibration tools, the Adobe Products function better in OS X (this is opinionated, but it really is easier to use since the arrangement makes more sense on OS X), and the Cinema line of Mac monitors display colours more brilliantly. In addition, the Quartz technologies (ColorSync/Core Audio/Core Video/Core Animation/Core Image/etc.), is a lot more general-purpose than DirectX (which seems to be focused more on gaming) and allows OS X systems to be more versatile when it comes to graphical applications (i.e. seeing filters/plugins on-the-fly, a higher-level object-oriented language to manipulate textures, etc.). In addition, because the operating system uses Display PostScript (essentially, the screen functions as one big interactive PDF) what one sees on the screen can, theoretically, after some adjusting for print, will be what one sees exactly in print.

Long story short, yes one could make PC hardware cheaper than Apple hardware. But it's what's under the hood that makes OS X a (slightly) better product for media production and graphics design. I'm saddened, however, that no retail games have taken advantage of the multimedia APIs that OS X provides by default. Granted, OpenGL isn't bad, but Quartz is pretty amazing.  

Sentama Lin

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces