Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ask A Gay...The Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: gays, lesbian, lgbt, homosexual, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Protests IRL + How soon until prop 8 is overturned?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Meow_Machine
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:52 pm
So, ever since prop 8 was passed in the US, the amount of protests have gone up

Discuss:
So, I was wondering, are any of you guys taking part in events and protests where you are? How affective do you think these are?
And, how long to do you think it will take for us to gain our rights back? Do you think Obama will wait until his second term to try and pass same-sex marriage, or will he take the risk of not getting elected again and do it in his first?
If you aren't in the US, and this doesn't apply to you, how are things in your country as far as equal rights? Is there anything more that you want done? Are you happy with things?

where you can find out about events where you are: jointheimpact.com
declaration of rights (UN): http://un.org/Overview/rights.html  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:53 pm
I was unable to take part in the Nov 15th protest in DC because I was visiting a college, but I am planning to take part in the Gay Strike on Dec. 10th, because I won't be in school, I will be at a college, auditioning. Hopefully, I'll be taking part in Light up the night on Dec. 20th. Hopefully these events will work and influence others to see that it's wrong to deny people things that should be guaranteed to them, such as marriage. It says in the UN, on the list of rights, that all men and women should have the right to marry. I still think it won't be until Barack Obama's second term that he passes same-sex marriage, as much as I hate to say it. It's a risky political move, and could threaten his chances of getting re-elected. His first priority right now is the economy.  

The_Meow_Machine
Crew

faint old rhyme
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:58 am
Obama does not support same-sex marriage.
Although I don't really attend protests, I dislike the entire marriage system altogether.
There should be marriage - for both gays, straights, anyone in between - which is a religious ceremony, and an equal (rights-wise) civil union, also for straights, gays, and anyone in between. This will be simply binding, but will not be religious.
That way, any couple can choose either one depending on their religion or lack thereof.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:30 am
canada already has same sex marriage rights. i wouldnt change that.
i would protest for you guys if i could though crying  

fortunes arc
Crew

Tipsy Fatcat

Hairball Essences
Crew

Fashionable Lunatic

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:19 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Gay marriage has been legal here since 2001.
It's all cool.

I think we should have the right to get married everywhere, but the world just isn't like that, I guess.
I personally think civil partnership is great, but that's because I'm not religious and I wouldn't want to get married anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:37 pm

I never want to get married, but I think everyone has the right to.
But, Prop 8 has already passed.
It's idiotic to protest against Prop 8 if it's already passed.
We had a chance to get married, and breeders ruined it.
So now, after it's been officially passed , people plan to protest?
That's so stupid.

stroke my beard

Extended Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces