Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
CONSPIRACY! (Advent Conspiracy, that is...)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:13 pm
Kals is questing again!

So there I was cruising around Facebook, minding my own business (HAH!) when I came across this video.

I think the idea it presents is inspiring and refreshing.

So, ATG, what are your thoughts?

Would you rather have big expensive gifts, obligatory crap gifts, and various material things?

Would you be delighted if someone you cared about took a day off from work to spend time with you instead of buying you something with the wages they would have made that day?

Would you be willing to make gifts for your loved ones? Have you ever done this?

Would you be willing to cut your Christmas gift budget and give the difference to bring life-sustaining clean water to a village that has none?

What does Christmas giving mean to you?

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:31 pm
That video is quite... ah what's the word, impactful I guess. It made me think of how much time I waste trying to find people gifts and how that money and time could be spent doing something else. It actually gave me an idea, I never know what to buy my dad but I also don't spend much time with him so maybe that's what this christmas should be for us this year. Spend some valuable quality time with him and make him something, not sure what but something, maybe a collage of family photos... or something of the like, something he can have with him to remind him of his family. ^_^ thank you Kals, for this video and for the ideas it spurred.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:34 pm
That is a good video.

I'm happy to say though that I was brought up to appreciate a kind gesture and not just material things. Sure when I was a kid there were always toys that I just "Had to have". But as an adult, I try to be more mindful. I always try to be thoughtful with my gifts, like this year.

For my mom: A book that I know she'll really love, and my mom's an avid reader so she'll enjoy having it for a very long time.

For my sister: Also a book, one I read in college and it's just the sort of book she'll really like. Just like with my mom, my sister loves to collect and hang on to books (Me too for that matter).

For my dad: Impossible to shop for!! So instead, I used my computer skills and I've made two videos for him using some of the really amazing pictures he's taken over the years. Photography is a hobby of his, so I thought he'd love seeing some of his best shots set to good songs.

For my boyfriend: A movie that I told him about that he really wants to see, only he can't find it at any rental place.

When I buy a gift for someone, I try to put thought into something they'll really like, not just a peice of junk they'll get sick of. Also, I'm a HUUUUGE believer in "It's the thought that counts." My boyfriend is comming to visit me the day after Christmas heart heart And I told him that if he didn't want to, he didn't have to get me any Christmas gift at all. I barely get to see him, so just him comming to visit is more than enough for me. And I really meant that too.

I'm not against buying things, but I think they should be meaningful in some way.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:39 pm
Less than a half a day left!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Please help?

Well, since I'm generally broke anyway... My family gets hand-drawn portraits. So, while the ad had really nothing to do with me (since I'm not a holiday consumer or a Christian,) I still really like the message it puts forth. Unfortunately, I can barely afford my water, so I can't pay for anyone else's.

I've always believed in giving of yourself, and I was in Girl Scouts and whatnot for YEARS.

I've never like the idea of using religion to encourage people to be kind, but I guess in this situation, the end justifies the means.

The only time I've ever really spent a shitload of money on anyone, it was for me. On my birthday. Because people RSVPed to my invites. And no one showed. Not to be emo, but that's really it...

Anyway, I favorited the video, so my friends will see it on my channel, at least.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Dinosaur Next Door

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:40 pm
I like stuff. I can hang with people anytime.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:15 pm
aww.. that was beautiful. biggrin
(eh, well... the bits about worship and stuff got me all ...gonky-squishfaced xD ...i understand that that's the origin of christmas and all, so.. BUT!)

yeah it's amazing how much we mindlessly spend on STUFF, and not on what people need.
lots of people don't have much, but think of how many people there on the planet? on each continent? and if each person gave what they could... from $100 ...to $1 (or other currencies sweatdrop don't be hatin' talk2hand )
...yeah. i think it's pretty awesome what a difference people could make in general if we all just made a little bit of effort. smile
... but then it makes you wonder.. why does thinking about the needs of others so often get limited to this time of year? =[ ...i guess with the 'busy and hectic' lives most of us lead... makes sense. but yeah. [/rant] lol

also, sav has a point. if you think about it, some gifts can mean alot to people, or maybe not. but the thought it there. and spending time with people shouldn't be limited to one time a year ...well now that i've completely contradicted my original point of view...

SO! i'm proud to say i often try to not buy gifts for people. smile unless i know that someone really wants something, i won't buy them a gift. i usually make cookies and baked goods instead ^^ last year i didn't have much time, so i gave my friends little bottles of liquer with shotglass tic tac toe from the dollar store ^^ woot.

gifts are nice, i usually appreciate them. especially if it's something i really wanted or needed. but i don't necessarily need people to buy me gifts. xd truth be told... i like the idea of spending time with people better. ^^ <3
....i'm thinking of taking my nephew to a food bank or something (because that video made me think) and maybe baking him something ^^ ... since the only thing i can think of that i would buy him is a) expensive, and b) something he might not even like anyway.

*sigh* biggrin okay. now back to studying.  

~DR.MOOFASA~

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm
Kals is questing again!
I know that some people won't appreciate the Christian angle taken by the creators of the video but honestly, Christmas was about Jesus before it was about Santa. I wasn't bringing this up as a means to try and convert y'all, you know I'm not like that!

I'm glad that this has prompted some of you to think and possibly be inspired! Obviously it's valuable to spend time with people at any time of year, just like people like getting stuff at any time of year. Personally it means a lot more to me if someone has spent a lot of thought and effort making or finding a gift for me than it does when they just hand me a gift card -- unless it's a gift card for Safeway because they happen to know how poor I am right now and want me to be able to have groceries in spite of having to buy my textbooks in January.

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:44 am
I will buy... nothing. Lay around the house... =w=  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items