Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.
Something To Watch For...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

"Aw c'mon, I bought KFC. It pretends to be Southern, you pretend to be Southern..."
  "Don't go there b***h!" xD
  I know of it, but meh
  ....what?
View Results

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:58 am
User Image

I dunno if anyone ever really has before, but has anyone here ever really noticed symbolic things or things that resemble pieces of art in either anime or manga? Well, you can talk about it here!

Now, you might wonder, "What does that weirdo mean by that?" Well, here's two examples:

Queen Serenity

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I didn't remember this until I watched this random episode in subs the other day, but it looks like she's dying on a cross-like object. Just after saving everyone, or really, sending everyone to a more peaceful place to live, she dies on this thing, which looks like a cross. Thus symbolism.

King Endymion's "Grave"
(Sorry about the quality/size)

Now, you might think "What does this have to do with anything?" Well, take a look at the picture below

Yup. This above is what Endymion's resting place was based off of, an actual tomb that was constructed by Bernardo Rossellino called, "The Tomb of Leonardo Bruni".

Think about it. Got any ideas of where you might've seen anything from? Talk about it here!

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 am
Obviously someone has to bring up the opening/closing of Elfen Lied and their use of images originating in paintings by Klimt. I'd post some, but I don't have them, plus the ones that are really recognizable have a small bit of nudity so... sorry.  

bollier

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:21 am
User Image

I've never seen Elfen Lied, but I hear it's good. And I remember studying about Klimt earlier in this semester, but we only took a look at a few paintings ^^;

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:53 pm
There are many MANY instances of real art within anime and manga. It is something of a tribute to interesting art and or artists. Usually its the lead artist on the animation staff that puts them in.. and only where it will fit in easily and not look forced. Sometimes the writer will want them in somewhere.  

Vylox

Beloved Lunatic

8,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:26 pm
User Image

I've noticed it in Sailor Moon and The Cain Saga/Godchild franchise. Well, maybe not art so much with the 2nd one I named so much as places, but you get the idea

And while this isn't art, I noticed this and it's driving me nuts
Why the f*** does Queen Serenity have blonde hair and an aqua bow?!

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:02 pm
User Image

ANYWAY, ignoring my completely random outburst in the last post, I thought about something earlier today. I learned sometime last month that there was actually a building built in London by Joseph Paxton called "The Crystal Palace", except this one was out of iron and glass. SIRIUSLY. If you google 'Crystal Palace' on their image option, you'll see tons of pictures

Which makes me think, was Naoko Takeuchi tributing that when she made "The Crystal Palace" in Sailor Moon? Methinks so...

User Image

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

reya_bella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:35 pm
bollier
Obviously someone has to bring up the opening/closing of Elfen Lied and their use of images originating in paintings by Klimt. I'd post some, but I don't have them, plus the ones that are really recognizable have a small bit of nudity so... sorry.

I've seen that as well. I could never put a name to them, but I remember seeing them in my art teachers room two years ago or so.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 pm
There are a lot of these . . . I can't think of anything off the top of my head though. =/  

Tarantellatears

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:24 pm
User Image

Last night, as I was at my friend's place watching Slayers Next, in one of the episodes:

This one part where (I think) Alfred is talking to Lina and Amelia, a monster comes out of a painting that resembles the "Girl with the Pearl Earring" portrait

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:19 pm
User Image

MY LAPTOP IS VIRUS FREE NOW!!! =D

Anyway, I noticed something during a random Sailor Moon (either amv or episode beginning) clip that when she's running to a white-clad Tuxedo Mask, one will notice that the background is Van Gogh's "Starry Night" type background

User Image

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

Rio diGennaio

Greedy Raider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:44 pm
User Image
I forgot the anime (it's not very famous, but featured in NewType) but there was this one shot of the girls posing like the ones in Six Girls With Hats On Sunday Outing by Locati.

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:33 am
To answer the SailorMoon comments/observations...

Naoko did that completely on purpose. The entire story of SailorMoon has a very direct reference to her being a "Savior" who possesses the "Holy Grail" and returns from the dead to... you guessed it, RULE THE WORLD as queen. Sound like any notable bible figure? So yes, crosses make sense.

Also, in a lot of the SailorMoon Manga images there are notes in the artbooks about ads, paintings, and real people that Naoko based the pictures off of. So, those are on purpose as well. There are several websites that show the comparison pictures real/manga.

SailorMoon's mother had silver hair...

And I would have to dispute the crystal palace reference since it looks nothing like the one in SailorMoon, has nothing to do with the time period, or setting, and well... SailorMoon uses references to all types of stones and gems as character names and weapon names. It only makes sense that the wielder of the most powerful crystal live in a "crystal palace" in "Crystal Tokyo".

Check out THIS website for full comparisons to art!
http://eternalsailormoon.org/influences/  

AquaMarinaSama

T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces