Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.
Random Questions About Anime/Manga...New Questions!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Got a question?
  YESH
  Not really
  ...what?
View Results

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:12 pm
User Image

I've got a few questions/scenario questions for people to mull over. Some I've been wondering about, some my real life friends have asked, and others are just there, I s'pose.

1. I was at my best girl friend's apartment, and we were talking about the differences between Cardcaptors (which we both watched as kids,) and Cardcaptor Sakura (which I recently got as a present, after having to suffer through Hurricane Ike). I was telling her about the differences in the two since she hadn't seen the original, like how Madison/Tomoyo is crazy about Sakura but never tells her, or how Tori/Toya and Julian/Yukito both like each other and have told other people in CCS but don't ever tell each other. After I told her all this, she burst out with;

"What is it with the Japanese and gay people?! There's almost always a gay couple in longer animes and mangas!"

2. Why do you think they'll REALLY never air Sailor Stars in America or anywhere else in the world? Yes, they've said that Naoko (the creator) had no plans to put it anywhere else, but is that the REAL REASON? xD

3. Why can't Rumiko Takahashi finish any of her series? I don't know if it's like that with her mangas, but with the animes of hers, all the endings are inconclusive and have no endings. (A friend of mine once asked me this after watching Ranma 1/2 and the Inuyasha series. He said that the closest she'd ever come to an ending was Ranma 1/2, though I won't spoil it)

4. Are there any other Tenchi series besides Muyo!, Universe, and Tokyo? (I'm just wondering sweatdrop )

5. When Rini becomes queen of Crystal Tokyo, what name will she take? Neo Queen Serenity gave her the name "Small Lady", when she first goes back to the past, she tells everyone her name is "Bunny" (depending on what version you've seen, it's either "Chibi-Usa", "Rini", or "Bunny". "Bunny" comes from the manga).
The reason I thought about this was once when I was reading the StarS manga, there's a party at the Crystal Palace where everyone is welcoming Rini home, and they say "Cheers to Princess Rini Small Lady Serenity!" ...so it made me wonder sweatdrop
(Actually, this one I thought about when I was having trouble going to sleep one night and letting my mind wander)

6. Why is it that no matter what day of the week it is, school kids are wearing their uniforms during the series? (And YES, I know how the terms go in Japan, but even on their days off, I've seen them wearing the uniform that the creator made up. In some anyway)

If I get any more, I'll post 'em

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:28 am
I don't think the first two have any real answer. heaven knows what it is with them and gay people. Maybe it's just normal. Maybe American shows would be like that if it weren't for the FCC. Who knows?

And as far as Tenchi goes, you'll have to ask Meggie - she adores it and is working her way to collecting all of them.  

Tarantellatears

Undignified Indiana Joans
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:33 am
Quote:
4. Are there any other Tenchi series besides Muyo!, Universe, and Tokyo? (I'm just wondering )

Yes, there are. =]

They go in this order:
Tenchi Muyo!
Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-ohki (sequel to Muyo!, created much later on, made to finish out Muyo!)
Tenchi Universe (re-telling on Muyo! )
Tenchi in Tokyo (sequel to Universe)

Tenchi Muyo: GXP (story that takes place with Tenchi's cousin)

Pretty Sammy (story about Sasami as a magical girl, based off that one episode of Universe, where each character has their choice world).

And there are three movies:
1- Tenchi Muyo in Love
2- Tenchi Daughter of Darkness
3- Tenchi Forever

There's all of them =]
Oh, there are two manga series too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:38 am
For Sailor Stars, it's because of all the homosexuality that runs rampant in it, and the fact that there's girls that turn into guys and guys that turn into girls ( I can't remember which way it goes D: ) and it's violent, I've heard. They felt that it would be too much for chilren's minds.

AND

Naoko got seriously pissed off with all the major-editing America did to it, because they practically did ruin the entire series with all they cut out, and she will not allow another American company to liscense it.

Of course, that may not be the real reason, who knows, in the end....this is just what I've heard. I myself never got to finish Stars, I've seen through about episode.....8-10-ish.

Undignified Indiana Joans
Crew

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:04 pm
meGgi e s t A e R I a
For Sailor Stars, it's because of all the homosexuality that runs rampant in it, and the fact that there's girls that turn into guys and guys that turn into girls ( I can't remember which way it goes D: ) and it's violent, I've heard. They felt that it would be too much for chilren's minds.

AND

Naoko got seriously pissed off with all the major-editing America did to it, because they practically did ruin the entire series with all they cut out, and she will not allow another American company to liscense it.

Of course, that may not be the real reason, who knows, in the end....this is just what I've heard. I myself never got to finish Stars, I've seen through about episode.....8-10-ish.
User Image

I've read the Sailor Stars manga, but I've never really tried to watch it online since I'm not a pirate ('course, I dunno if that counts as piracy, seeing as it's not dubbed anywhere else in the world). Anyway, I've seen clips, and it doesn't look that violent...at least what I've seen. In the manga, all of the Scouts ended up being lesbian for each other (except Sailor Moon of course...maybe Hotaru, since it sorta hinted at a HotaruxRini thing in some things I've seen).

Uhm...other than that, I'm not sure what to say ^^; Other than whenever I have read about Naoko's reasons, it just says "the creator has no intentions of releasing it anywhere else outside Japan"

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 pm
You have to understand the difference in cultures. In japan, being gay or homosexual is accepted, as a past time or used as a secondary relationship between two people. I've talked with several people who grew up in japan, and I know several people who currently live (or recently lived) in japan, and gay is just accepted without any fanfare or fuss. The major difference and reasoning behind this is their culture. Japanese culture was not formed by or ruled by, or follows any direct line to or from Catholicism or Christianity, or any other 1 God religions (all of which are very VERY anti-homosexual). Their main religion is shintou (its a buddhist type of religion) and it promotes acceptance above ALL else.

Throughout history you will see homosexual innuendo in just about everything.. It is a fact of life, has been for thousands of years, will be for thousands more.

So you can go and tell your best girlfriend this. There are gay and or homosexual couples in anime, because it is an accepted way of life in japanese culture. There are no taboos against it, and in some areas and social circles it is even expected.

Only in western cultures (the ones based on 1 god religions) is homosexuality not generally accepted as a fact and a part of life. .. You can just blame it one god.

This post is in now way shape or form supposed to be offensive. If I have offended you with this post, I apologize, however I can not in good consciousness retract a truth.  

Vylox

Beloved Lunatic

8,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:15 pm
Vylox
You have to understand the difference in cultures. In japan, being gay or homosexual is accepted, as a past time or used as a secondary relationship between two people. I've talked with several people who grew up in japan, and I know several people who currently live (or recently lived) in japan, and gay is just accepted without any fanfare or fuss. The major difference and reasoning behind this is their culture. Japanese culture was not formed by or ruled by, or follows any direct line to or from Catholicism or Christianity, or any other 1 God religions (all of which are very VERY anti-homosexual). Their main religion is shintou (its a buddhist type of religion) and it promotes acceptance above ALL else.

Throughout history you will see homosexual innuendo in just about everything.. It is a fact of life, has been for thousands of years, will be for thousands more.

So you can go and tell your best girlfriend this. There are gay and or homosexual couples in anime, because it is an accepted way of life in japanese culture. There are no taboos against it, and in some areas and social circles it is even expected.

Only in western cultures (the ones based on 1 god religions) is homosexuality not generally accepted as a fact and a part of life. .. You can just blame it one god.

This post is in now way shape or form supposed to be offensive. If I have offended you with this post, I apologize, however I can not in good consciousness retract a truth.
User Image

Y'know, I never really thought about that. 'Course, I don't know that much about Shinto, I know more about the stories and stuff that goes on than that of that ^^;

I did hear from someone once (who I think visited, if not lived over there for awhile) that Christianity was introduced at some point, though not until MUCH later, because there are a few churchs over there, though many, many more temples.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:00 pm
MaskedPhantom
Vylox

User Image

Y'know, I never really thought about that. 'Course, I don't know that much about Shinto, I know more about the stories and stuff that goes on than that of that ^^;

I did hear from someone once (who I think visited, if not lived over there for awhile) that Christianity was introduced at some point, though not until MUCH later, because there are a few churchs over there, though many, many more temples.

User Image

During most of japan's history, christians were killed outright whenever they promoted christianity or worshiped in public. Being christian or catholic was regarded as improper and impure.. and those who were, garnered less respect than gaijin (outsiders, foreigners, those not of Nipponese birth or decent). As a religion it was not widely accepted as a viable religious preference until much later.. I'm not sure as to when but I'm confident that it was not until sometime during the 20th century (sometime in the 1900s). It is still not particularly accepted, and even now if you are catholic or christian, you will more than likely be disdained, shuned and or ignored.  

Vylox

Beloved Lunatic

8,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:08 pm
User Image

I'm gonna guess that it was sometime during the mid-to-late 1800's or early 1900's, since that's when Japan and China opened up for trade, (most of the stuff they traded, I've heard was art. European artists like Van Gogh and earlier liked to collect blockprints made by Japanese artists).
Anyway, back to religion. Naoko T., the creator of Sailor Moon, uses alot of religious tones in both the anime and manga, though moreso the manga. You'll even see some art, like Endymion's "grave" in the future is based off of Bernardo Rossellino's "Tomb of Leonardo Bruni" in Santa Croce, Florence.
SIRIUSLY.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:59 pm
I really can not comment on anything about sailor moon.. I was a child when I watched it, and to be honest.. I did not really enjoy it.. (which in turn means I did not watch it all)

Instances of christianity or catholicism within anime or manga abounds, however it is not a mainstream concept. Even in today's age and society, they are not exactly approved of. Usually catholics and christians are frowned upon or snubbed in Japanese culture. Do not even get started about muslims, or the offshoot religions like presbetyrian, baptist and lutheran.  

Vylox

Beloved Lunatic

8,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 pm
User Image

That's okay. I haven't watched it since I was like, 12 I think...unless you count the subbed episodes I've been watching when I get bored ._.

And ya, someone said that. But that made me think how wedding and funeral ceremonies are done, and it's not something I've done research on or seen much of either in anime/manga; whenever I've seen a wedding in an anime/manga, it's usually in a church o-O

User Image

T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff