Reply SCA Guild
Are there any Filkers out there?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:03 am
So - my SCA friend Agdta (I think she knows about this guild ... Not sure if she checks in on it often though) is evil. xd

She's the current Bardic Champion of Tir Bannog.
Which means that at their next Feast of St.Crispin's (this October) - she sets up the Bardic Competition.

This year it's 'Write and perform a filk that's never been performed before - and a period song'.

Well, I've got my period song (which is usually the hardest part for me) - but I can't seem to write this filk.

I have a tune I want to use, from a song I know and love (that sounds medieval-ish), and I can easily change the chorus to something fitting.

My main problem is, this song would be best for a story type thing - but I can't come up with anything.

I've tried to think of SCA stories, and of people I know in the SCA, but I've got nothing.

If anyone knows 'The Song of Jesus Christ' (haha, it sounds worse than it is, honest) - that's what I want to use for the tune.

If anyone thinks they could help me- I can try to find a way to post a recording on the web. sweatdrop

Any help or suggestions would be VERY appreciated. sweatdrop heart
(I really want to win this year) rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:56 pm
How about the story of how Duke Cariadoc declared war on himself - and thus was Pennsic born.  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:49 am
eek I'm afraid I don't know that one..... And I've never been to pennsic sweatdrop heart  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:10 am
Many years ago Duke Sir Cariadoc was King of the Middle. He decided it would make for a wonderful event to declare war on the Kingdom of the East over the Debatable Lands, so he penned a mighty missive challenging the Kingdom of the East to Battle with the loser to get Pittsburg. He never received a reply and nothing happened.

Several years later this same Duke Sir Cariadoc became King of the East. In looking through the Kingdom's papers he discovered the challenge he had sent when he was King of the Middle. Of course he could not let this challenge go unanswered, so he sent a missive to the King of the Middle accepting Midrealm's challenge.

The result was the first Pennsic War...and the rest is history.

-Lark-  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 pm
Haha, that *is* an incredibly awesome story!
I don't know if I could make a song of it, though - not having ever been to pensic... redface  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games