Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply An abnormal love of cats
What would you suggest for my predicament?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kingdomforakiss1337

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:48 pm
Hello everyone, I am quite new to this forum. I have a serious problem, though: my ex-fiance dumped me and he is trying to keep my cat Sadie. He lives one state away but I will be moving back to the same city he is in quite soon. The thing is, it was our cat at first, but then he decided he didn't like her and never fed her, played with her, or changed her litter box. So quite soon she became my responsibility and I grew rather fond of her. But I couldn't take her with me when I was dumped because my parents' lease agreement does not cover pets and they can't afford to pay a pet deposit. I am worried I won't be able to get her back when I move back to Oklahoma, and that he will fight me over this. I could give her a much better home than he ever could, as far as I can tell. Because at the moment, he has her locked in a temporarily empty trailer with little food and water, and forcing her to coexist with another cat who likes to fight with her. And that is only until they move into this trailer which I know may be a while for that to occur. So what should I do? I am at a loss here, and I want my Sadie back crying  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Maybe you can try going through animal control and the court or something because if he left the cats in there unattended for days in dirty conditions that would be animal abuse and he can be arrested for that. If anything they have a pet deposit if they can't pay it how about you try to pay it or something like that.  

NightWolvesCry

Friendly Gaian

4,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

kingdomforakiss1337

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:22 pm
that is a good idea about calling animal control.
I would have liked to take her home with me but I don't have 250 a month to spend on the deposit at my parents' house. I would love to pay that, if only I could afford it.
Hmm, I think I will call his sister to see what is going on now. I might get her to be on my side.
and I can't just up and go back up to Oklahoma, which is 12 hours away because I just don't have the funds with which to do that. again, I would do that in a heartbeat, if only I could afford it.
Thank you kindly, for your advice biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:48 am
If you were the one who took care of the cat, then I'm pretty sure you can get her if you go to court.

I would recommend you start talking to your ex-fiance about it though. Imagine you do end up going to court. He might argument that you didn't care about Sadie and even left her behind with him when you left; that you're using the court to hurt him, not because you miss the cat and want her back.

I know that sounded a bit cynic of me, but you really need to think ahead. xp  

MissAnaHappy

Anlina
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:24 am
anapires
I would recommend you start talking to your ex-fiance about it though. Imagine you do end up going to court. He might argument that you didn't care about Sadie and even left her behind with him when you left; that you're using the court to hurt him, not because you miss the cat and want her back.

I know that sounded a bit cynic of me, but you really need to think ahead. xp

I totally agree - it's being realistic, not cynical, and you definitely don't want to end up screwing yourself because you were too polite or passive to be insistent.  
An abnormal love of cats

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games