Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply 21+
Why does the internet have to be so expensive?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Internet...
  Expensiveeee!!!
  Cheap! What are you talking about, crazy woman??
  Non existant
  is for...well, you know.
View Results

kekadu
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 pm
My roommate and I decided to cancel our cable internet for the last month that we are in our apartment because it's $40 a month! So ridiculous! One ISP seems to have a monopoly on our area, and it's really not worth the trouble for one more month to go trying to get DSL when it probably isn't available for our apartment anyway.
We also thought we could live because there are some unsecured networks nearby that don't require passwords to access, but the one I was using has been sketchy. Now I have to walk all the way to the public library to use wireless or pay money somewhere to buy coffee.
You'd think internet services would've gotten cheaper by now, wouldn't you? Sigh.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:26 pm
One would have thought so; just the same one would have thought with digital TV coming and analog signals disappearing by February something 2009 that cable TV would be cheaper, too. sweatdrop But I guess I was wrong about that, too. confused  

Bakura Amane

Adorable Marshmallow

19,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100

Jaydan Sweet

Married Wolf

10,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:02 pm
I wish I knew why it was expensive myself, because it sure does drive me nuts that it is so damn high, what about the low income families what are they supposed to and the electricity is bad enough. stare stressed evil  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 pm
It's kinda like paying for gas; we can't live without it, so we get gouged through the nose paying for it because businesses know that we will. Seriously, I haven't done research WITHOUT the help of the internet since I was in Middle school, so we can all admit we're dependent on it.  

Dafthank

Ybrik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:49 pm
Tell me about it! My internet was supposed to be "top-speed" and only be $50 a month. Yet somehow I end up paying closer to $70 after all the "local fees" and crap like that. And "Top-Speed"? Pft, sometimes it takes FOREVER for a page to load even on Gaia. Everything is soo overpriced. I wanted an X-Box 360 to keep up with the rest of my friends new gen' systems, but there is no way I can fork out the cash for one and pay rent and other bills each month too. Stupid expensive technology! scream  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:56 pm
My cable bill is around $80/ month for combined basic digital TV and Internet. This isn't even the turbo speed. No premium channels. Cable companies are like big oil in a way. Only a few serve an area and they get to set the prices we must pay to get what they provide or we don't get any.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:33 am
My two cents...
Do any of you work in the IT area? Do you know how long it takes to A) find/diagnose an issue and B)fix it?
Think about the service they're providing - access to the entire WORLD right in your very own home. Think about the cost of maintaining the service - the people who do that, and the fact that they want to get paid just like the rest of us.
Personally, I think it's about the right cost and I spend $50 a month for my connection. I opt to be shaped rather than pay for extra download with speed.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:09 pm
I have my internet service tacked right on top of my phone bill, and the internet portion is about twenty-five dollars a month for pretty high speed. Also, with the initial purchase of a seventy dollar router, I have home wireless (a plus since I have a laptop.) My phone and internet are through AT&T.

I don't have a cell phone, however. I feel like one of the last remaining holdouts.

I agree that cable is way too expensive. There's hardly anything I'd be interested in watching on cable, anyway, and it certainly wouldn't be worth the price to me. There are a few good channels, and there is some good programming, but I'm not paying that much every month to watch mostly crap.  

Sheboygan Milad

spectremis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:53 pm
it doesn't have to be expensive. just move into an apartment area where people have unsecured WIFIs...totally free. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:22 pm
I've lucked out, at home I dont pay for dsl, it came in the dorm (and it should for 15,000, lol) and internet/cable were part of the rent for my townhouse. sure it my not be the fastest, but it works for me just fine. (and it was all "free" to me)  

Levina-jade

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

Super Buick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:54 pm
i have the entire cable package. (cable, net, and phone) altogether, it's costing me $125 a month. granted, it's somewhat pricey, but i enjoy not having to wait for two weeks to open a page.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:12 am
I spend £10 a month on 2mb broadband, that seems fine to me  

The Full English

Aged Citizen

4,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200

Ameliechan

9,850 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 am
we have DSL 2000 (i guess) and phpone flatrate together. it costs about 30 euro, that is not that much.
internet in gremany isn´t very expensive and you can go online nearly everywhere  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 pm
spectremis
it doesn't have to be expensive. just move into an apartment area where people have unsecured WIFIs...totally free. xd
Technically that is theft of service. If you had permission from the neighbors, that's different. That's why I secure my router

I hope eventually they have some form of free public wi-fi that is legal and for everyone to enjoy, even if it's add supported. I can support that 100%. That is the most fair. Those that want more, can pay for it, of course. It's still a free market.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100
21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items