Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HanyouMistress

6,100 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 pm
my female cat is 6 years old. I just recently changed her food from Cat chow by Purina to Meow Mix. When she was eating the Cat chow she would start to throw up ever time she would eat. She stopped once we change food, but she has started again..
I was wondering if i should take her to the vet or change her food again.
I also have a kitten, sometimes she will get get the kitten to being her some of the kitten food...and eat it. Could that be a reason??
thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:32 am
She could be allergic or have a sensitivity to something in either her food or the kitten's food.

Common allergens include soy, wheat, corn, fish and sea food. I'd try feeding a cat food without these ingredients and see if that stops the puking. You're probably better off going with a canned food over a dry food - the majority of dry foods use a lot of grain as filler and binder.

I wouldn't rush her to the vet as long as she's managing to keep a reasonable amount of food down per day, but I'd take a very close look at what you are feeding her. Cats tend to throw up anything that isn't agreeing with them, so it's very likely that something is is eating is the culprit.

If she's not keeping any food down then there is real reason to be concerned. Cats need to eat on a regular basis - every 24 hours at least. Cats that have not eaten in over 48 hours are at risk of developing hepatic lipidosis which is a challenge to treat and is often fatal.

Evo seems to be about the best brand of food I have seen, as far as being grain free: http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp There was some other brand of canned, grain-free, meat based cat food that I saw at PetSmart, but I can't remember what it is... it was with the premium foods, next to Blue Buffalo.  

Anlina
Captain

HanyouMistress

6,100 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:59 am
Thank you for your help I am going to look at her foods and see what is in they am by some sample foods to try out.

An abnormal love of cats

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games