sucks!!
  is best at Bass'ken lake
  is pwned by Firefox!
View Results

Doressa
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:33 pm
Wow!!!

I just received an email from Paypal, saying that they had detected unusual activity on one of my credit cards, and asked me to respond to the email within 72 hours by clicking the link and confirming details or my account would be suspended. I generally think I'm quite savvy when it comes to scams and the like, but as I had attempted to purchase something a couple of days ago using paypal and my credit card was declined, I thought there could be something in this. I clicked the link, and luckily (Thank you Firefox, thank you!!) Firefox detected a web forgery! When I looked at the address of the page it was attempting to direct me to, I noticed that it didn't start with paypal, but redmix.blog/images (or something)! I went back and looked at the original email, and had to be impressed with their efforts -it was the exact page that paypal uses when sending emails, including warnings about scams, and reminders not to give your password to anyone! Crazy!

Anyway, just in case someone using some other browser receives something similar, I thought I'd let you guys know about it....

Anyone else had any near misses like this lately?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:54 pm
Never click on a link in an email. Always type in the URL of the site you wish to visit. Phishing is a pain, I know. I've seen quite a few of them from other places as well as fake Gaiaonline pages. Be careful.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100

[[[ bunny ]]]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:21 pm
those things are creepy, i generally manage to avoid it thank god.. i do the typing in the address thing as well  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 pm
I got that same one several times at an old email address. I report them, but they always come back mad  

chibihotachan

Laveuse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:04 pm
Wow! Thanks for the tip, they're so tricksy!!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:40 am
Even when you're uber careful, sometimes they're able to get your details.
A woman I worked with last year had her bank cancel her credit cards due to her details being stolen. The bank wouldn't give her details on how much money or where (she was told it was multiple transactions out of the country) the transactions were. Fortunately, the banks insurance covered it and she wasn't left out of pocket.

I'm so pleased that FireFox saved your dollars Doressa!  

Sablara
Vice Captain

Bakura Amane

Adorable Marshmallow

19,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm
I got one like that a long time ago on an account (email that is) that I don't use with paypal, so I automatically knew it was a fraud, but I know exactly what you mean. 3nodding I even went to the url and found out later it said something like www.ppaypal.com or something like that. Very tricky and very close to getting me into loads of trouble.

I also want to warn everyone about an email I've received lately saying I'm the winner of an international lotto contest. While it may not ask for an account or anything it does ask for a phone number and address and if you're like me you know that something's amiss when that happens. I mean if you enter a lotto (any lotto) I would think there would be another way to contact you besides email. confused

Anyway, it's late; I'm sleepy and I have class tomorrow. Good night. heart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:05 am
The sad thing to me is the site I see the most hacking scams on is Gaia.

But real money is a real issue. I'm more worried about the stolen identity tanking my credit thing.  

AntoniaMerEnfant

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12 pm
I think my old photobucket account got hacked- speaking of such things.

I double checked my used name and I've tried all my usual passwords. I don't remember ever having problems logging into this particular account in the past xp  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:03 am
Ooh, I didn't know about not clicking on links in emails. Thanks for the tip!  

Lisetta

Ameliechan

9,850 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:13 pm
i got some wrong bills from e-bay, they told me that i still have to pay them some money for things i sold at their page. i never paid them and reported the mails.
i never had trouble with paypal thanks for the hint.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:06 pm
These are definitely tricky...I usually check where the link is going by mousing over it and looking at the bottom left hand corner of firefox, where it should show where the link is directing to. This kind of phishing is sneakier than the "HELLO My Name Is Dr. Alfred Hauemttara, you have inhereted a sum of 28000 ___someforeigncurrency___, I am very trustworthy and I hope you will claim your money." ones, hehe.  

kekadu
Crew

21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces