Submit

damnatio memoriae

Dapper Dabbler

12,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:14 am
Has anyone been in puzzles lately? Someone has started hacking the system and posting under the name "Administrator" stating either that there is a new way to generate gold "click here" and now, today there was one posted asking for people to "test the new mmo battle game". Now I know this is some scam, but why isn't gaia addressing this issue that has been happening for at least a couple of weeks now. Today out of curiosity, I clicked on the link and, of course, it leads you to a screen that says "Ooops, you must be logged in to do that". The screen looks just like a Gaia page. I'm worried about all these poor kids that don't know any better. I'm sure whoever this person is has already duped lots of people. I think that at the very least they could repost how the never, ever ask for passwords, so maybe people would think twice...  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:46 pm
It's really sad when these sorts of things happen...I'm just glad there's not a way for us to turn our Gaia gold into real money, otherwise it would be happening 100000x more often. confused  

kekadu
Crew

[[[ bunny ]]]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:52 pm
kekadu
It's really sad when these sorts of things happen...I'm just glad there's not a way for us to turn our Gaia gold into real money, otherwise it would be happening 100000x more often. confused

actually, there is.. some people dedicate themselves to hack wealthy gaian accounts and sell them for real money  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Are you able to report people in puzzles? I haven't played for ages...

This sort of thing must happen all the time, I would imagine the powers that be spend a LOT of time trying to stop it, but there are probably a lot more dodgy scammers than there are Gaia staff employed to stop them. I guess we can only hope that the staff have posted enough warnings about this sort of thing over the years to prevent people falling for it.

*shakes head* Some people are just awful.  

Doressa
Captain

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:12 pm
Thanks for posting this! Here in the guild we try to keep our members safe. There was an incident awhile back with someone trying to scam members by claiming they were hacked (you see this all the time in chatterbox).

I think the reason Gaia hasn't gotten on that is because there are sooooooo many scams out there they are having a hard time keeping up with them.  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:39 pm
This one looks pretty professional. It's not just one person in the room doing it, they found a way to post in all rooms. So reporting a person is out of the question.
A little while back I was questing trash or bugs in town and some people were able to hack the system and make it look like you were thinking things (blue text). Atleast they weren't trying to direct you to another like and get your password, like these new people.  

damnatio memoriae

Dapper Dabbler

12,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:32 pm
That thing in towns is packet editing. That is not hacking.

This redirect in puzzles is a scam, but it's also a form of hacking to make names like admin. If it's not www.gaiaonline.com do NOT enter your user info. Instead close the browser and log in using the real http://www.gaiaonline.com.

Stay safe out there.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:17 pm
If there is internet the safety is low; surprise gaia didn't catch that though since there suppose to be monitorying the site...  

AQuAxXxScORP_62704

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 am
Tillisnut
That thing in towns is packet editing. That is not hacking.

This redirect in puzzles is a scam, but it's also a form of hacking to make names like admin. If it's not www.gaiaonline.com do NOT enter your user info. Instead close the browser and log in using the real http://www.gaiaonline.com.

Stay safe out there.

This is true. I have seen it quite a lot in other forum threads where someone will post a link which LOOKS like a Gaia page, but it's not. I have seen a www.s.gaiaonline ...or something like that and also one with a hyphen in it. I wasn't sure if I should have reported it or not - as it's not hacking exactly. Still, it's not right to try and con people like that.

**edited  
21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff