Reply Super Smash Bros. Guild
How can I beat OLIMAR with SAMUS???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lahlooooouh

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:23 pm
I need help. My friend is better than me at brawl, but with some players I am better than him. Still I win about 2/5 games versus him. But when he is Olimar and I am Samus he is just too good. I need tips on how to beat Olimar.

I am pretty annoyed, because he just taunted me by beating my in a really close match in which 1 of his three stocks he didn't use any pikmin. I know that just makes me sound bad, but it is more so that he is good than I am bad.

Can you guys help me?
Any advice?

Also, don't suggest me to try other players than Samus. I know I could destroy his Olimar with Lucas. But, I want to do it with Samus.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:36 am
Lahlooooouh
I need help. My friend is better than me at brawl, but with some players I am better than him. Still I win about 2/5 games versus him. But when he is Olimar and I am Samus he is just too good. I need tips on how to beat Olimar.

I am pretty annoyed, because he just taunted me by beating my in a really close match in which 1 of his three stocks he didn't use any pikmin. I know that just makes me sound bad, but it is more so that he is good than I am bad.

Can you guys help me?
Any advice?

Also, don't suggest me to try other players than Samus. I know I could destroy his Olimar with Lucas. But, I want to do it with Samus.

You're gonna have to play a "ranged game" His "Pikmin" (or lack there of) don't have quite the range that samus does. Pepper him with uncharged shots and missles (more missles), to get him to rethink his own strategy. The pikmin are gonna be a problem, but he's gonna do more damage over time. I recommend shield grabs (when he's close), and Up+B out of shield. Neutral air and back air are some good moves to use.

Aside from that, record the match, and post it. I'll be able to help you out a little more from there.  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

Lahlooooouh

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:55 pm
SilentBlackTiger
Lahlooooouh

Can you guys help me?
Any advice?

You're gonna have to play a "ranged game" His "Pikmin" (or lack there of) don't have quite the range that samus does. Pepper him with uncharged shots and missles (more missles), to get him to rethink his own strategy. The pikmin are gonna be a problem, but he's gonna do more damage over time. I recommend shield grabs (when he's close), and Up+B out of shield. Neutral air and back air are some good moves to use.

Aside from that, record the match, and post it. I'll be able to help you out a little more from there.

Long range isn't working at all and that is usually my specialty with Samus. He deflects all my missiles and even entire charged shots with the pikmin and since he can throw them faster than I can shoot I would gradually be taking more damage than him. We were playing on final destination.. that is where we play most of the time and since he rarely jumps it is hard to apply the up + B.. but I use it when I can. Also on levels where there are more platforms I use it. The whip is actually helping.. like it is my best bet to just try to grab him, but I can't even get in range to him when he is bombarding me with pikmin. So I usually roll and can dodge them. But then at close range when I try to attack he sheilds and hits me.

I have been trying to do this thing where I jump and I am able to launch a lot of missiles at once really fast then I quickly charge and he usually can't handle that.

I don't know what to do. When he shiellds I will hit him and then in the time between my next hit he grabs me. So then I try to do just that and grab him, but it just isn't working. I need to play him some more and see if I can create a new style for myself. Or some new combos.

I am going to try going to smashboards.com  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:03 am
Knock him off-screen. That should kill him. rolleyes  

Bralef

Tremere Lich

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:14 am
Knock that nikka out in real life.
Then knock his uncontrolled character off the stage.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:57 am
Ok, Olimar is one of the weird specialty characters, and if you friend is good with him, you're pretty much screwed. Try this. When the battle starts, wait for him to start attacking and then shoot a fast missile (hold B and side) at him when he gets close. (If you accidentally used a heat seeker, you didn't hold down B and you messed this plan up) Then run up and keep using smash attacks and regular attacks until he starts fighting back. Dodge and run away for a few seconds then rush him again as he is chasing you. After a doing this a few times, try to get him in the air and use an smash attack to hit him off the platform. Then charge a shot and keep it until you get a clear shot as he tries to recover. Remember, Olimar has a bunch of wierd attacks. Don't let him catch you by surprise.  

Deathmask97

Severed Restriction

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:09 am
If you want to beat him until he runs crying, make good use of your down-B, it can stop his pikmen in their tracks and if you use it when he rushes you, you can get him to back off. Aside from that, try to mostly use double-missile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:11 am
Deathmask97
Ok, Olimar is one of the weird specialty characters, and if you friend is good with him, you're pretty much screwed. Try this. When the battle starts, wait for him to start attacking and then shoot a fast missile (hold B and side) at him when he gets close. (If you accidentally used a heat seeker, you didn't hold down B and you messed this plan up) Then run up and keep using smash attacks and regular attacks until he starts fighting back. Dodge and run away for a few seconds then rush him again as he is chasing you. After a doing this a few times, try to get him in the air and use an smash attack to hit him off the platform. Then charge a shot and keep it until you get a clear shot as he tries to recover. Remember, Olimar has a bunch of wierd attacks. Don't let him catch you by surprise.
And I have no idea what you're talking about, to fire the power missle you press side at the same time as B, holding it will do a heat seeker...  

Severed Restriction

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:03 pm
I used to main Samus for Brawl, but not anymore.
I would suggest shielding when he throws the pikmins and then z-airing.
Also, try [Is it called shield dashing?... no clue what it's called] running toward olimar, then shielding (shield whatever attack Olimar does) and try grabbing him if he's close enough  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:16 pm
When he is Olimar, try being Sonic. That way, Olimar would be tooooo slow to attack!

That is how I win Olimar when I'm not Sheik!  

hi5201

stickyfeet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:01 pm
Just pound the s**t out of him.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:33 pm
Try getting the smash ball first.  

Jenova Descendant

Devoted Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

GandaKris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:51 pm
The reason why hes winning is cus hes basically reading u like an open book. Your failing to anticipate his moves. Try not to attack recklessly instead think your next moves thoroughly. I'd play a friendly match but sandbag him the whole time. Look at his strategie opportunities and faults. To win in any game like this you need to play it smarter. Reading is the hardest skill to learn i still have probs trying to read opponents.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:02 pm
olimar's grab's are harsh i suggest using samus's range to your advantage i would use my up and down smash's agaisnt olimar and also short hopping ur grab and keep some distance, and it can be a great tactic with samus for off setting your enemy.  

bealfeal

elf_hero66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:24 pm
GandaBerdugo
The reason why hes winning is cus hes basically reading u like an open book. Your failing to anticipate his moves. Try not to attack recklessly instead think your next moves thoroughly. I'd play a friendly match but sandbag him the whole time. Look at his strategie opportunities and faults. To win in any game like this you need to play it smarter. Reading is the hardest skill to learn i still have probs trying to read opponents.
I agree. Learning to read your opponent's moves is key to becoming better in smash bros., as well as other games. I have played smash since the beginning, and let me tell you, I used to get owned ALL THE TIME. It was because I was reckless and just attacked. I couldn't defend myself once under attack, too. What really made me better was PRACTICE. Even though I mostly practiced by myself on computers, it helped me a lot. Try to get used to how the game works. Practice combos and see which are best, but don't use the same one or two with a character. In addition, defense is just as important as offense. If your friend keeps blocking and dodging your attacks, try to figure out how he or she is doing it and give it a shot yourself. DODGING IS VERY IMPORTANT. It's safer than shielding, (not that shielding is bad, it's great for special techniques) and may give you time to strike back.

In a nutshell, practice. Practice reading your opponent's moves, dodging and combos. The best defense is to not get hit. xd

P.S. I think it's awesome that you want to beat your friend with a character that's not necessarily your best when you could win with someone else. I admire that. As a matter of fact, I do the same thing. I try to use characters that I enjoy more, even though they're not my best. Like Yoshi! Keep smashin' away, don't let losing get you down. GandaBerdugo has good advice as well. Oh, and sorry for how freakin' LONG this message is. Best of luck!  
Super Smash Bros. Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games