Submit

New Light Riku
Captain

O.G. Sex Symbol

6,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:31 pm
This will tell how to catch shiny pokemon better while using pokeradar. This is how I caught 1 shiny bidoof, 4 shiny starlys, 3 shiny geodudes, 3 shiny buizels, 2 shiny chatots, 1 shiny Ralts, 1 shiny Ponyta, 5 shiny Larvitar, 1 shiny Budew, and 5 shiny Meditites, still working on getting more though. So here it is:

1. Intro-
You know that pokeradar Professor Rowan gave you? If you haven't
beaten the game, I suggest doing it now, because using it gives you a better chance of getting a shiny pokemon. Another thing that helps is to go to pal park, where Professor Oak will give you the poketch app for pokeradar chains. This will keep records of your best chains and your current chain. So good luck on getting a shiny pokemon!

2. Using the Pokeradar-
Most people know how to use the pokeradar, but for those new at using it, here's how it works. First of all, there is a simple requirement- get off your bike. If you are on your bike, this won't work, so simply put, stay off your bike. Also, when using it, you must be in a patch of grass. Use the pokeradar and one of two things should come up:
1. It will say "The grassy patch remained quiet" or something like that.
2. 1-4 patches of grass will shake.
If you see the message come up, it's no problem, just recharge the pokeradar. To recharge the pokeradar, simply walk 50 steps and try again. If a patch shakes, a pokemon is guaranteed to be on that shaking spot. To chain pokemon, walk up to that spot first. Second, when the battle occurs, you must battle the pokemon, do not run. If you run, the chain will be broken and you will have to recharge the pokeradar. You may also catch that pokemon if you please, that will not break the chain. After you defeat the pokemon, more patches will start shaking. The chain will break when you see a pokemon that differs from the first. Now if you want to catch a shiny pokemon...

3. Chaining High-
I'm sure we all have heard of shiny pokemon- of course you have, this is The Shiny Pokemon Guild, and if you don't have any shiny pokemon, you won't have much luck fitting in here. A shiny pokemon differs in color from a normal pokemon, but the chances of getting one are slim... A 1 in 8192 chance of just seeing one in the wild. These happen at random. If you battle one, you absolutely MUST catch it, because it might be a once in a lifetime chance! However, using the pokeradar helps with the chances of seeing one, so get it and prepare for shinys! To begin the quest, you need a few items:

*The Pokeradar (See Using the Pokeradar)
*Poketch app 20
*200 repels/ super repels/ max repels (These have different prices, max repel is suggested, but if you don't have money, buy 200 super repels, if not, repels, it depends on how much money you have. However, if you're dirt poor, use a pokemon with intimidate at the front of your party, this will make the chances of encountering a wild pokemon slimmer)

Once you have these items, choose the pokemon you want to have shiny, as long as it can be caught in the wild, excluding Mesprit and Cresellia. If you are looking for a shiny pokemon with a specific nature (lonely, stubborn, adamant, etc.), bring a pokemon with the ability synchronize at the front of the party (such as abra) with the nature you want. If you are hunting a shiny pokemon that is the electric type bring a pokemon with the ability static (such as a Pikachu) at the front of the party. If you are looking to chain a steel type, bring a pokemon with the ability magnet pull (such as Magneton) at the front of the party. As you can see, there's only one space for the front of the party, so you won't have two abilities on at once. If, let's say, your Pikachu is too weak to fight the wild pokemon you will encounter, let it faint, the ability will still be active, as long as it is in the front of the party. And now to the actual catching of the pokemon.

*First, register your pokeradar.
*Walk into the grass and activate the pokeradar. If the grass shakes, go to the menu and use a repel, if brought. Note that the more the grass shakes, the rarer the pokemon will be. Also, going to the menu and selecting anything on it will not reset the pokeradar. Just remember where the spots are. Just know that you cannot save and come back to where your chain left off, sorry, there's no tricking this game.

The next part will tell how to keep your chain long.

*If you go to chain, make sure you stay with the same pattern the patch was. so if it shakes softly, stay with the soft-shakers. If you go to a more rapidly shaking patch, your chain will most likely break. If you go to a more rapidly shaking patch and the pokemon is the same, defeat it and go immediately back to the soft-shaker. Same goes for more rapidly shaking.
*If the shaking patch is next to a wall or tree, or if the patch is on the edge of the section of grass, do not go for it, the chain will most likely break.
*Go for the patch furthest away. This needs to be more than 4 steps away, but 7 or less steps. Here is a chart:
x 4 4 4 x 4 4 4 x 0= You
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 1= If the patch is shaking, do not go in
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4 2= Same as 1
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4 3= Same as 2
x 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 x 4= If it is the furthest away, go for it
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4 x= Do not enter if it is shaking
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
x 4 4 4 x 4 4 4 x

*Do not go for a patch that is in the same column or row as another shaking patch
*Do not walk up, a patch that shook might be there and it could break the chain, you wouldn't know since is blocked by you. Heh heh, fatty.
*If your pokemon is out of PP, or if your repel is done with, remember, going to the menu doesn't break your chain
*Do not let all of the patches that shook just now go off screen, the game will think you are done and will break the chain

If you are following these rules and, let's say, the only patch/patches are touching trees, reset the pokeradar. NO DON'T LEAVE AND TRY AGAIN! Just walk 50 steps and use it again. This will not break your chain, unless you leave the section of grass, this can be very helpful, as it tends to happen a lot, so these hopefully helped you get a high chain. Whew, all that and we didn't start talking about shinys yet! So here it is-

4. Catch the Shiny!!
While following these rules, did you see a patch that was shining like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rgXkRZuBo3A&feature=related
That is what a shiny pokemon patch looks like. If you ever see that patch, immediately go for it. In that patch, there's a 100% chance of it being shiny, so why would you skip it? The higher the chain, the more of a chance of the next being shiny. Here is the percentage chart:
Chain - Chance
1 - 0.01403%
10 - 0.01765%
20 - 0.02533%
30 - 0.04698%
35 - 0.08468%
36 - 0.10152%
37 - 0.12652%
38 - 0.16819%
39 - 0.25152%
40 - 0.50152%
When your chain hits 40, you have the same probability of getting a shiny patch each time the chain goes up again, so keep resetting the chain (See last paragraph of section 3). Also know, you can catch more than one shiny in a single chain, so you can catch the same shiny pokemon multiple times, this can really help if you're trying to catch an Eevee.

5. Ending
Well, this guide has helped me catch 26 shiny pokemon, and i hope it helps you catch one too. So good luck catching your shiny pokemon and have fun with it!!

-----If you have any questions, pm me, if you were helped by this, post below. Thanks 4 reading!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:45 pm
I knew most of this stuff, but i used to take chances and go into wrong patches... but now today i didnt.

A couple weeks ago i got a shiny starly with a chain of four.. so i got lucky that time.

but today i chained up to 40, which wasnt as hard as the first time i did it, and i got 3 shiny surskits smile

kurl

Trash Bear

MahaJose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:40 pm
I've become quite good at making chains with practice hehe
First shiny I got using the pokeradar was ponyta, but my favorites are evee's and all their evolve form, specially my green Espeon hehe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:07 pm
thank you for this guide i will be using it more often now.  

Lord VK12

trex519

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:33 pm
is there any areas with only 1 type of pokeradar pokemon sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:10 am
Dragon10050
is there any areas with only 1 type of pokeradar pokemon sweatdrop

Sadly, no. But the best place for beginners to start on route one.  

New Light Riku
Captain

O.G. Sex Symbol

6,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

The Soul Dew Guardian

Timid Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:20 pm
Already knew most of this stuff. I just don't really get the chart that tells u wat patch 2 go in.  
The Shiny Pokemon Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games