Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Writing on the Wall

Back to Guilds

Are you literate? Do you write poetry, short stories, long stories, prose, roleplays. . . anything? Share your talent with the world! 

Tags: Writing, Poetry, Prose, Stories, RolePlay 

Reply The Writing on the Wall
A pitch

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dr Scotch Tape

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 am
I am currently focusing most my attention on a short story that is actually posted on this guild, though the only reason I'm focusing mostly on that is because the copy on paper(my only copy) was stolen recently, so I'm reconstructing it.
Though enough of that, to my problem at hand. Before the short story hit me on the head I was working on a book.
A pause, before I continue I am actually a little skeptical at how helpful you people are going to be, I read in a different thread that some here are strong believers of good vs. evil. I, quite frankly, hate good vs. evil. I believe it is too basic of a concept and is way too outdone. Real life is not separated between evil and good, black and white, if you will. It is much more of people have different beliefs and killing themselves over it. Which I feel is a way that should be written in books as well. (different opinions that cause the conflict, not one person that happened to be born hating everything and everyone so decides to make a death ray to destroy the moon)
But I shall continue, though I'm sure I've already lost half my audience. To describe the basic setting of the book, the background information you could call it, I will post the prologue(I am not completely done with the prologue).  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:03 am
Our story takes place on a coin, of sorts. A coin the size of a planet, with a light and dark side. These names are not to speak of moral judgment but simply the amount of sunlight.
More specifically, our story takes place on the dark side of this coin, the side that gets only three hours of sunlight, though with their increments it would equal around 8 hours and 20 minutes. This leaves five hours for darkness (18 hours, 53 minutes, and 20 seconds). Having such hours resulted in a different sort of appearance within these men and women.
Their skin is pale, of course. Their hair grows faster and they do not have to hit puberty to start shaving. Their skin traps heat easier, and holds it longer. Though the biggest mutation is their eyes. Unlike humans’ blue, green, hazel, and brown choices in eye color, the people on the dark side of the coin only have a blazing red, or a green that shines like jade. In addition every one’s eyes on this coin gives off a faint glow, they don’t see like humans, they see heat. A sort of infer red, if you will. The sun heats their side up enough so that it stays visible to them most of the night. But not all five hours, eventually is cools down and they lose their sight until morning. A good indication that it is time for sleep.
Now their world is not the only side to this coin they call home. The opposite side is different, even the people... especially the people. But that does not concern us, yet.
But there are important details to explain, such as each side has a group to protect over them. There is no need for me to put further detail on the light side, the dark side, on the other hand, shall be explained thoroughly. There are twelve chosen ones, who have always been as long as the coin has been in existence, they are known as the protectors. Without them, this coin of theirs would have been long destroyed by a threat so cataclysmic it took the death of all twelve members to prevent its damages. Cracks can still be seen on the face of the coin where the events took place. Also, this collection of events which lead to potential destruction will now be referred to as the Event.
But even with the magnitude of the Event, the sacrifices made, the tributes lent out, the inexplicably important birth, the significant amount of deaths, and even the seemingly life long bonds that were made, were all forgotten, in a flash.
You see, the twelve as a group only lasts 25 years, after that they die and the new 12 is chosen. Those members then leave their lives behind and gain all the past memories of the member they are replacing. The Event took place on the 19th year of the first 12. When they were sacrificed they were not replaced until their 25 years ran out. Then when they were replaced with a new 12 group, they did not gain the memories of their passed sacrifice; only their underlined goal of protection. Since the Event no member has continued to be relived passed death, also no member has not gained the memories of the past, save for the Event.
Just for reference one should note that no time line of the coins history contains the Event. Including the personal time line made by the 12.  

Dr Scotch Tape

poet_dice07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:10 am
This isn't a discussion thread, so I'm not going to say anything about your beliefs on the relevance of good vs. evil in literature. Just that if you make the book a giant argument towards your own beliefs, then you're right, you WILL lose your audience. Because no one enjoys being beat over the head.

I like the coin-for-a-planet idea. It seems like an allusion to the popular good vs. evil theme and a nice setup for a subversion of the trope. About the 3hrs equals 8 hrs bit, you should either establish that fact once, and only once, or just avoid it altogether. The reader wants to be submerged in this world. Don't remind them over and over that "their" time is different from our time, because it forces us back into our own reality. This world is, presumably, not Earth. From what you've revealed, there doesn't seem to be any reason why our world and yours makes contact. So they shouldn't know about the time difference, and they surely shouldn't be telling us about it.

However, if you only go by the 3hr time line, you would need to significantly speed up the plot so that we're not wondering "How can all this happen in just 3 hours?" I suggest just using Earth time so that the reader will understand how time is passing and you can preserve the pace of the story. As stated before, the time difference doesn't need to be pointed out unless our world and your world make contact.

The plot looks like it will be complex and intriguing. Good job. Just, PLEASE, come up with better names than "the Protectors," and "the Event." Seriously, these are common words that will make the people and events associated with them seem equally common. It just makes the whole thing look horribly unoriginal, even though it is not. Readers will see those words and think "Oh, Something Bad happened and now the Heroes must go on an Epic Journey to fix it. Been there, done that."

Other than that, looks good. Hopefully we'll get a few snippets later on?  
The Writing on the Wall

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games