Reply SCA Guild
Ancestors!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eilifr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:57 pm
"The Spofford/Spafford line extends the farthest at present. Jhon Spofford came from Yorkshire, Englan to America in 1638, and his line extends back to Orm of Yorkshire whose son Gamel, Lord of Thorparch, was killed in 1064. The ruins of Spofforth Castle (name changed to Spofford Castle in mid 1400's) stands about 30 miles south west of York. The family's prominence was lessened after about 1550 when Bryan Spofford, a priest, married and was ejected from his position as Rector of Barton in Rydale. This line is directley connected, generation to generation, for 26 generations in back of Mary (Polly) who wed Robert Sheldon!"

I was asking my mom about our family tonight and found out about this little bit of info, she also said someone had traced back even further to find out about some marriages of Danish Prince's to Finnish or French Princess's and some other such things... I just thought it was really cool and interesting so I thought I would share it, dose anyone else have such ancestry?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:47 am
Hah... we're having troubles tracking our family back to Europe in general. We came over to the Americas in the early 1600s... and promptly became infamous white trash for the most part. (train robbers, most notably...) The current theory is that our last name is Viking, as we've found various forms of it ALL throughout Europe throughout the centuries. Eh. We'll see. So far no royalty, though.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

DC1337

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 pm
My surname is the name of an English town... so that makes finding connections a little harder.
I'm pretty sure Dad's parents or grandparents came over from England.

Someone on my mother's side did a bit of digging, and came up with a few bits of interest. I can't remember the details, but I think there was some Flemish nobility in there. The name itself is Irish.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:05 pm
Near as we can tell, both sides of the family came over here to dodge the German Draft during the mid-1800s. There's a family story about the family patriarch getting upset with his son for wanting to join the US army during WWI, because of it. The down side is that it means that they picked up and moved over here with nary a thought as to genealogy. We figure at least my dad's side is from somewhere in the Alsace-Loraine area because of the French-ish sounding name.

Sarah T. Foole.  

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Koosei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:21 pm
my family's pretty purely from the Prussian Mennonites. But then, they were pretty isolationist anyways. Still are.
We weren't able to trace the exact line, but we do know we were part of the group that went to Russia before they came to Canada. *can't remember the dates for when the migrations happened* confused
.... my fathers side could be pretty much anything. he was adopted and there's been very little contact with him, so I've no idea where he came from.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:04 pm
My moms side to many people to explain but these are some I know of:

My family were close cousins with the Nelson (lord horatio nelson)
and one of my ancestor's uncle was Charles Dickens.

Those are very few I know of though I know I have tons tons and tons more of famous people in my family just to many on my moms side lol I got a couple thousand cousins and thats barely any of my family I know of.

though I am English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English, American, Polish, Austrian, Russian and Hebrew.

I do know my family were some of the early pilgrims and that many of my family took place in key events in american history and my family has fought in every american war we have just to many family names to keep track of though.  

American Lad

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 pm
I've got bits and pieces of places and names courtesy of my paternal grandmother. The easiest way to view it is I'm at war with myself. Seriously, I'm German, English, Irish and French. xd

The German is on both sides of my family and I've a name of an ancestor from England on my Dad's side. I've been told of French and Irish ancestry on my Mother's side.

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games