Reply Messianic Jewish Guild, an open dialog between Jews and Christians
The High Holy Days! YAY!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Wingling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:34 pm
OK, I'm really excited about the High Holy Days comming up, because I'm going to be dancing! What are you guy's plans for the HHDs? Or Succot?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:48 pm
Our family will have an apple and honey feast on Rosh Hashanah, a fast on Yom Kippur, and we're not sure which Sukkot we will attend. There is one here in Iowa, or we could go to Oklahoma for part of it.  

grani4fam1

RoseRose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:35 pm
Try finding some round raisin Challah. Very traditional.

I'm not sure what I'm doing for Rosh Hashanah, and I'm fasting on Yom Kippur (I've been doing it since before my Bat Mitzvah), and for Sukkot, probably going to the Chabad. Simchas Torah there is SO much fun. Having a few drinks actually can help elevate the spiritual experience. A few drinks, dancing, the Torah, singing for the Mashiach. It's traditional, though, so the men and women are separated for the dancing part.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:44 am
RoseRose

I'm not sure what I'm doing for Rosh Hashanah, and I'm fasting on Yom Kippur (I've been doing it since before my Bat Mitzvah), and for Sukkot, probably going to the Chabad. Simchas Torah there is SO much fun. Having a few drinks actually can help elevate the spiritual experience. A few drinks, dancing, the Torah, singing for the Mashiach. It's traditional, though, so the men and women are separated for the dancing part.

I think I have a recipe for round raisin challah, and I plan on trying to bake some. I know what you mean about having drinks - before I was Messianic I was a teetotaller who felt guilty drinking any wine. Now I realize that my idea of what God forbids was really messed up. He doesn't forbid drinking wine (just drunkenness), but He does forbid unclean foods (which, by the way, are really unhealthy from a scientific point of view as well as a biblical one). I have met the local Chabad rabbi. I don't know if we'd be welcome at their Simchat Torah, but we have a couple places we can go to out of state if we can take the time.  

grani4fam1

RoseRose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:18 pm
grani4fam1
RoseRose

I think I have a recipe for round raisin challah, and I plan on trying to bake some. I know what you mean about having drinks - before I was Messianic I was a teetotaller who felt guilty drinking any wine. Now I realize that my idea of what God forbids was really messed up. He doesn't forbid drinking wine (just drunkenness), but He does forbid unclean foods (which, by the way, are really unhealthy from a scientific point of view as well as a biblical one). I have met the local Chabad rabbi. I don't know if we'd be welcome at their Simchat Torah, but we have a couple places we can go to out of state if we can take the time.

For Rosh Hashanah, bake it round. That's the traditional shape, to remind us of the continuity of life, and the year.

And honestly, you probably would NOT be accepted at the local Chabad too much... Those who are born Jewish would be accepted, but to the people in Chabad, if you weren't born Jewish, and didn't go through an Orthodox conversion, you aren't Jewish.

And basically what G-d says is to treat your body well. I take that to be part of an "all things in moderation" philosophy, born out by Pirkei Avot.

And as for a traditional thing to say to others on Rosh Hashanah:

"Shana Tova oo'metukah"- Have a good and sweet year. (Can be shortened to "Shana tova"- Have a good year)  
Messianic Jewish Guild, an open dialog between Jews and Christians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games