Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are your Parents and friends okay with you being Gothic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are they?
  No
  yes
  one not the other
View Results

BlutWolfV_V

3,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:49 pm
My mom doesn't like me being a goth. Well, she doesn't actualy know, but I think she's catching on. She's always telling me she's going to get me out of this "black stage". I don't wear black just because I'm a goth, there are other reasons. My friends are okay with me being a goth. The ones who know, at least. None of them are goth, but one is an emo.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm
Lulz.
I'm hardly goth. But, meh, they're really losing the ability to care about what I do or how I act anyway.  

Sulphuric

terribletorso

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:21 am
My mom is okay with it. It's been about uh... 6-7 years, and I think she's decided that I'm not going through a phase. I do think she conveniently 'forgot' that I'm bi and atheist. razz But, she just loves me anyway. Now all I bother her with [mostly] is loud, growly music. xD
My dad, he's just a b*****d. He hates everything. stare rolleyes
My siblings never cared.
My friends all like how I dress and love me as much as I love them. ^-^ heart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:01 pm
My mom doesn't really care. She just makes sure I don't spend too much on clothes.

My dad's a totally different story. He hates it that I'm Goth. Always trying to get me to "see the light" and all that crap. He called me to my face a devil worshiper, which is totally not true, and said that I'm a "devil child." It was actually kinda funny...

My friends have known me forever and have seen my fashion evolve into what it is today and understand.  

Angelica_Eve_Nguyen

Angelic Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200

SADERR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:11 pm
ChildoftheMoon14
My mom doesn't like me being a goth. Well, she doesn't actualy know, but I think she's catching on. She's always telling me she's going to get me out of this "black stage". I don't wear black just because I'm a goth, there are other reasons. My friends are okay with me being a goth. The ones who know, at least. None of them are goth, but one is an emo.

You act like it's some big secret, being goth.
What the hell isn't to notice?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:30 pm
Jonathonn
ChildoftheMoon14

You act like it's some big secret, being goth.
What the hell isn't to notice?

I can't figure out how they don't notice, either, dude.  

BlutWolfV_V

3,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

SADERR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:17 pm
An interesting question.

My dad at first hated it, but after about..4 years he sorta figured "eh, whatever". He's a musician, and I absolutely love music, so we have that in common (Including his music of choice, which is country. I like it quite a bit. ^-^), and though
in the past we did hate eachother (I'm not exxagerating. This man gave me reasons as a younger child), but now we're quite close. It's been a rollercoaster.

My mom was just worried about me being picked on and bullied.
Which I was a little, but most people didn't care. She actually always listened to the same music as me, goth rock like The Cure, and then alternative like Creed, Oasis, etc.
She actually really loves my fashion and that I can be different.

Friends.. Well, if my friends didn't like me for who I was, why on earth would they be my friends?
I go to an arts school (For dramatic arts, in my case), and thus everyone is very accepting. There's not even any cliques, just friendly groups.
I mean, yeah, all of the goths in my school do know each other, and we're all friendly, and a few of them I am somewhat close to, but most the time it's a "Hey, what;s new" etc sort of thing.

And my partner has only ever known me as how I dress, and she absolutely loves it (A little too much, she's broken two of my chain necklaces from pulling on them xP). And seeing as she's an artistic hippie sort, it's not like being unique is anything new. ^-^  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:21 pm
My mother never liked my aesthetic sense. But doesn't interfere unless she has to actually be seen with me. At which point I don't mind compromising by leaving out some of my more outlandish accessories. I don't live with my father, so while I don't believe he cares much for it either, it really doesn't matter at all.

As for my friends? Well, whenever I turn up wearing something a little over the top, they'll say their 'you look like an idiot' bit, and then generally forget about my apparel. Which suits me just fine, they're half joking about the idiot thing anyway.

As for buying 'goth stuff', it's never been an issue. I buy very little pre-packaged 'goth' merchandise. most of my apparel is either hand-made, thrifted, or blouses/skirts in black from ordinary stores. The only times I really get to buy larger pieces are around my birthday/christmas when I've been gifted money. And generally my mother will roll her eyes, and look the other way.

As long as you're not outright demanding 'goth' status, it's easy to strike compromise and get away with your chosen subculture. Just don't call attention to it when you can avoid it, tone it down when appropriate, and be willing to compromise. Even the most disagreeable parents (like my mother) will let it escape their notice for a large part of the time.  

Megumi Selwyn

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:14 pm
I am inspired by my friends. My friends are people who are not goth because of their fashion, but because of their tastes in music and literature.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 pm
My family either don't mind or like it, depending on the person. My mom had me dress her up as a goth one year for Halloween when I was in high school. My boyfriend loves it and told me that he was goth in high school. I want to see him dress like that again hehe. If my friends make rude or inappropriate comments to me about something so trivial as what I wear, then they aren't really my friends so I cut them loose. The friends I have don't mind or completely love it. A few make comments every time they see me that they want me to make them over, guys and girls.

I've never been one to care about what others think of me, I just go with the flow. I just like DIY stuff. I shop in thrift stores and, if necessary, alter things to fit the styles I like. I agree with those saying they dislike or don't really buy the pre-packaged "goth" things. I haven't set foot in the "alt" stores in a few years because I don't like how they assume everyone who's "alt" like the same things.

I've gotten comfortable enough with myself that I'll wear whatever I feel like most days and really don't care about the weird looks or gawking. In high school I was bullied and abused for it (rocks thrown at me, shot at with a bb gun, nasty comments, stalked by chavs hurling insults), but it's calmed down for the most part. I still get it sometimes, but those people are just ignorant and, honestly, they're probably miserable because they're so full of pain and anger to be they're lashing out like that. I feel sorry for those who mock me.

Meh, I'm pretty laid-back. My friends are the same and my family are as well, for the most part. There are always exceptions, especially when half of your family is very-conservative and southern baptist and so on. Strangers don't matter to me. I've even made friends because of how I dress. At least, that's what initiated the conversation between us.

exeno rainbow

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:17 am
I guess that now I dont dress so goth but sometimes it comes out in my jewelery choices and my parents get scared all over again.

Now I just wear really simple things because I can't be bothered. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 pm
      we die on after the other
          My family has mixed feelings.
          My mother is absolutely fine with my lifestyle choice of following in the ways of the Gothic subculture. She supports me to express myself, as long as I keep everthing to myself or somewhat decent or appropriate, but other than that, she's actually quite ecstatic with me. I can always count on her to support my whole-being 110%, and she even goes out of her way to help me find specific pieces of clothing, accessories, and makeup. She's given all my music interests a try, and listens to a lot of what I have on my mind (that is, until she gets disturbed and wants to hear no more, at which I just laugh and go on with whatever she likes to talk about). I'm most open with her.
          My step-father can't stand it. He is always complaining, giving me critiques about what I do, how I do it, the way I look, why I am this way, etc. He's a hypocrite, as well as very judgemental. I'm very closed off when it comes to him. He tells me I do all of this just for attention, to get a gothic boyfriend, etc. Basically, just makes up a bunch of excuses for the reason why I am this way. He calls me a freak, and scowls whenever he sees me. Thank God I don't have to live with him anymore!
          My real dad is quite cool with it, and my aunt just loves it, since she is into the subculture as well and has a lot of Goth friends. My grandparents don't mind at all, and my uncle helps me a lot with understanding the Goths and tells me of clubs, events, etc.
          My friends . . . I'm not so sure what to say.
          Actually, my best friend has loved me forever now, and has taken an interest in the subculture after sometime I have been into it, and is very supportive, along with her mother. I actually found out that my boyfriend was attracted to me right from the start, and that's how he ended up being my friend friend at my new school - he's a wierdo in his own way, to the point that he was basically a loner before I befriended him and introduced him to my friends. It's funny how as a couple we really tend to freak others out (I never intentionally do so, but he just does his crazy giggles and roars, I can never help but die laughing as people give him widened-eyes and quickly take off). He teasingly calls me names such as "gothic mistress", "vampire", "Wednesday", etc. just to mess with me, but he has told me he really does like the image as well as my character.
          But my other friends, especially my older ones, are quite creeped out by me, I found out, which really made me a bit upset to know that we've known each other for years, and yet, they're still scared of me, which is funny because I have never really done anything.
          I could realy care less of most people's opinions though. Sure, I glare and scowl when people stare and point at me, but even so, I don't plan on changing myself for anyone. I'm more happier than I have been in a long time - I have a high self-esteem and a lot of confidence to be who I want to be. : )

P a w n - a i

Bluetabbycat

Jeering Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 am
My Dad's ok with me being gothic, infact I think he quite likes it. Once he said to me, "I quite like that you're a goth, it shows strength of character." Mum on the other hand used to be very against me being a goth. I'm not sure whether she thought goths did bad and creepy things, and she didn't want me to get involved in that or what, but she'd always say, "If you have to be that way, can't you just be a closet goth?" But I've toned down a bit since I got into the goth scene, and she's got used to the fact that I'm a gothic person, so everything is alright these days. My brother is the worst though. Once he gets an idea stuck in his head, no amount of sensible explaining will change his mind. He niggles and critisizes and says derogitory things. So when he's at home from university, I just don't bother being gothy or anything. I don't like needless confrontation, so I just avoid giving him anything to pick at.

My friends on the other hand are totally different. For a start, I tend to choose my friends carefully; I just don't asociate with people who would judge you by how you choose to dress. One of my friends I got to know because of being a goth! 3nodding  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff