Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 4e] Unity
L5R - Unity - Chapter 1 - Winter Solstice Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 81 82 83 84 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
Plainsfox rolled 8 10-sided dice: 8, 6, 8, 5, 3, 6, 10, 5 Total: 51 (8-80)

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:01 am
Naohiko would shake his head, almost imperceptibly, as he appraised the Mantes warily. By and large it was a tough front he thought. They needed to prove that they were the big clan and had their target to bully. He really wished Gendo hadn't done this right now. At any rate, he knew not what comment this would draw from the mantis, but he plucked a green sheet of origami paper from the folds of his obi and began making the folds neccessary to turn the square piece of paper into a little Mantis-tan. This time he aimed for speed. Hopefully it would divert his mind from the mess of the trillion little "Kill them all" scenarios raging through his head right now.

OOC:
Awareness/Artisan: Origami 5k3 w/ 3 dice to handle explosions
Raises: 1 called to make it speedy
Results: 21-5 (Raise) = 16  
Paidi tou Selini rolled 4 10-sided dice: 6, 6, 10, 5 Total: 27 (4-40)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:19 am
Kaichiyo blinked in surprise at both the voice and the retreating Phoenix. Of the company she'd rather have had, this group was last by far on the list. Still, she returned the bold woman's grin in full, though with a significant lack of malice. After all, both times a Himura and a Yoritomo had dueled, the Himura came out on top. There was hardly any sore feelings in the winners, especially not a generation removed from the conflicts. Unfortunately it seemed her mother's battle was about to become her own either way. She was confident enough that the only harm they could do was in duels, which at least Naohiko and herself were prepared for, but it was still quite stressful to see their sad attempts at starting a fight.

"Well you know what they say about rumors." she shrugged, spreading her arms wide in welcome. "A pleasure to meet you, Yoritomo-san. I am Himura Kaichiyo, but I imagine you already know that. Though from those names I think you know my mother and grandfather a little better."

[Raw Willpower 2k2 vs TN 15 to avoid Performing in a stressful situation = 12]  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:52 pm
@ Gendo: Nearby, a samurai, a full-grown man in attire donning the mon of the Yasuki, bursts into tears, and runs out of court bawling...

@ Naohiko: A 100-step origami mantis will take a bit of time. 1 raise will let you do it in between 2-3 minutes if you focus solely on it, but closer 5 if you try to keep pace with the events going on around you.

@ Kaichiyo: You have the overconfident disadvantage. That is entirely in line with what you would probably believe. I mean, really... What's the worst that could happen?

Seeing that Kaichiyo wouldn't take her hand in the strange gaijin custom she picked up, she would retract her hand... but glance at Gendo. Then double take and give him her full attention.

"Oh... my... kami... is that your dog?" Her eyes would light up for a moment. Was this going to be another Kioko incident?

"You seriously brought your pet to court?!" No, no it wasn't.

And then Satoko would laugh. The other Mantis would join in (well, the younger male one probably just chuckled and shook his head). But, all of you would quickly notice, it wasn't just the Mantis - many of the gathered samurai, from all the clans, would seem to find it nearly as hilarious, their laughter at Gendo's expense, it seems. Not every one, but those who weren't, were concealing their expressions behind their fans.

All the sudden ruckus seemed to unsettle Setsuna, who began to flail in your arms with renewed fervor. Give me another one of those Animal Handling checks I asked for before, but make it TN 15 now.

Unless this is one of those situations where Kaichiyo begins to sing perform, in which case, make it TN 20. Since she sings when things are stressful, it kind of creates a pavlovian reaction in your dog that seems to escalate the situation in general, and moreso now. Hopefully she doesn't.... aw, crapbaskets.

@ Kaichiyo: ..... oh.

--------------------

@ Shi: All's well in Shi's neck of the woods! All's quiet, nothing to report.  
Raganui Minamoto rolled 5 10-sided dice: 10, 2, 8, 4, 1 Total: 25 (5-50)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 pm
"At least my dog has manners and doesn't feel the need to belittle others in an attempt to make themselves feel better about their own inadequacies." He'd then pet the dog and try to calm him.

Void Spent for a rank of Handle Animal.

3k2 - 22  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Plainsfox rolled 12 10-sided dice: 9, 5, 7, 9, 6, 9, 7, 9, 2, 8, 3, 2 Total: 76 (12-120)

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:59 am
As Naohiko worked the paper through what seemed to be an interminable series of folds (he had to chose the most complicated Mantis pattern he knew), he started laughing as well....and then stopped. As if he were the last one to realize the joke. "Oh! Wait! You guys are laughing about Setsuna-chan? You shouldn't. Our hostess seemed quite enamored of him." The young Kraken would shrug. "I was laughing at the joke that one could be proud of a grandfather who attempted to disgrace Her Celestial Wisdom, Iweko, and could be proud of a father who attempted to thwart the will of His Celestial Wisdom, Iweko the II. I think it here that the joke is that if, in the reign of Iweko the III, Yoritomo-san
sought to be Daigotsu Shoichi's good little wife, then she will have dwarfed her recent ancestors in honor and glory.

The bushi let out a breath. "But then again I am the first to admit I do not understand the Mantis, perhaps a marriage between Yoritomo-san and one of my clanmates should be arranged? Himura Gendo-san is a bachelor and there are worse fates in the world than being his good little wife...Yoritomo-san should consider. There are some ancestors whose descendents should not follow their path."'

Although he knew the danger, Naohiko needed everything now. His clan may depend on it. If it happens, it happens. ....and out of it he goes.

OOC:
Awarness/Courtier w/ 1 void point spent. 6k4 First nine rolled.
Raises called: 1 to help turn the crowd against Yoritomo Satoko
Results: 34-5
*pets Juno and Hailley for good luck*

Willpower roll to avoid being stunned 2k2 w/ 1 dice to handle explosions, last 3 dice rolled
Results: 11  
Paidi tou Selini rolled 8 10-sided dice: 1, 9, 5, 3, 6, 7, 9, 5 Total: 45 (8-80)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:51 am
"Yoritomo Isuzu was a good man." she declared without warning, the exciting lilt in her voice a sure sign that it was story time. "Strong, stout of heart and spirit, loyal and dedicated. A better man the world has never seen."

She raised her voice over the laughter, all enrapturing to distract from what they thought they thought they were laughing about. From there she spun her tale, elaborate, embellished, and exciting, of a perfect, heroic man brought to a tragic end by his friend's disorderly conduct at court and a rumor told out of jealousy that spread beyond the Yoritomo's control. A moral of hubris disguised in a compelling courtly adventure. It would be enough distraction, at least, for Gendo to get Setsuna out of here discreetly, as well as enough to calm her nerves as she escaped to another world and time.

[Void Point spent for +1k1]
[Awareness/Performance: Storytelling w/ 1 raise to hold attention 6k5 - 5 = 22]

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:43 am
Okay. Good news first, and this is for Gendo: You're quick and to-the-point with your insult, so you manage to shoot it off without incident. You also keep your dog reigned in, which is good. For the most part, nothing bad really happens to you now.

That brings me to the other two of you. How does one with Touch of the Void, getting stunned, get impacted if that stun was made during a long-winded insult? How does one with a compulsion truly count it as a disadvantage, rather than an excuse to make rolls at odd times? What happens when these two disadvantages trigger at the same time?

The most obvious solution: They clash.

Gendo, I'm so sorry.

Kaichiyo, Naohiko, you both begin to talk at the same time. Naohiko, your stun kind of blocks out stuff going on around you for a few moments as you get carried away with getting your point across. Kaichiyo, Naohiko keeps talking over your storytelling, interrupting you as you try to weave your tail. It becomes a conglomeration of two samurai out-doing one another, two attempts at the same goal without the coordination.

For the most part, your rolls fizzle, but I still will reward you the benefits of your raises, as if you had successes. The easier one: Kaichiyo and accomplice manage to hog the spotlight, so Gendo, if you wished to extricate yourself from the horrible horrible mess, you are able to do so without rolling.

Naohiko's raise was to turn the crowd against Satoko, and in a way, that happens, though in a way that makes the scenario that much more horrible. She's laughing hysterically at the whole thing. The other Mantis with her kind of stop laughing, and the observing samurai likewise cease any standpoint that's specifically "anti-Kraken". But Satoko is in tears, her face flushed, as she held her sides, laughing so uncontrollably that she's near the point of dry-heaving due to lack of air. Which, of course, spurs Kaichiyo to perform HARDER and Naohiko to lecture LOUDER to compensate.

It's really just a spiraling cycle of embarrassment, where no one wins. Not the Mantis, not the Kraken. No one.

"Ahem," a woman's voice would drone for a moment, when things were 'concluding' as much as they were able. "If your spectacle is quite through, we're waiting on you." The woman speaking was a Daidoji, similarly armored as any other guard, except this woman was a bit on the shorter side than most. Her shoulder-length white hair jutted out from beneath her helmet, while she was staring at you with the most unmoved expression; however, her eyes were cold, colder than any winter night, clearly unamused at the sight before her.

"In case you didn't hear me the first time, Doji Kioko-hime and Matsu Ami-hime will be dueling... again... in the courtyard, and it has been requested for all guests in attendance to spectate."

If you two look around, as Satoko does, everyone has left. The other Mantis, the observing courtiers, maybe Gendo... everyone. You lost track as to how long ago they might have abandoned you all.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:27 am
Gendo has already left the building, to let Setsuna have walkies and then see to the dueling.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:31 am
Once she had broken out of her highly embarrassing trance, she could only blush profusely, nod to the irritated Daidoji, hang her head in shame and follow on out to the courtyard.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:27 am
And Naohiko would do the same, being more fortunate in that he could skulk in Kaichiyo's shadow as he did so.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:38 pm
The Daidoji would lead the way, but not wait for you to keep pace.

"Hee hee.... by the kami... oh..." Yoritomo Satoko would still mutter as she walked along with you, coming down from her roflcopter high. "You lot are a mess," she would continue, wiping a tear from her eye. "Makes my father more of a joke, in my eyes, if you're truly here to represent your clan as a whole. Makes me feel kind of bad that my personal mission is to wipe your clan off the map. At least just a little."

You could tell that she was serious, but she seemed to sound so light-hearted about it now.

"But we still have all of winter court to get to make each other's lives hell, so let's not worry about that now, 'kay?" With a friendly wave, she would jog on ahead.

If you two want to discuss that in a "prior to" set of posts, you'll have about a minute until you arrive at the courtyard. More, of course, if you stop. Satoko doesn't heed anything you might say in response, instead hurrying to get to the courtyard before you before you can really say anything to her.

--------------------

As everyone makes it outside (Shi, if you would have wanted to come too, you could have at this point; no, the Hare is not in sight.), you will see the courtyard, which looks like a piece of art in of itself. It looks like it would be fantastic in the warmer seasons, but even coated in a blanket of snow it looks... well, breathtaking.

However. in the center, snow had been mostly cleared out (with only a light dusting remaining), where Doji Kioko, and the Matsu you saw from earlier, were standing, facing one another. The Matsu - Ami, as you heard earlier - seemed a lot more focused and less furious than before, but still seemed a little bit upset. Kioko was likewise focused, but far more at-ease than the Lioness was. Currently, they are speaking quietly to one another, too lowly for anyone nearby to hear, let alone you all the way in the back. They have yet to take up center stance.

Those with Iaijutsu, feel free to give me a TN 20 Perception/Iaijutsu or Perception/Kenjutsu check. Gendo, if you've gotten a closer view rather than rejoining your companions, it's TN 15.

EDIT: Or Perception/Craft: Weaponsmithing! That one's TN will be 5 less.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:03 pm
Shi would eventually grow bored and stand up to follow the crowds out towards the courtyard. Assuming that he heard ANYTHING about the spectacle that just happened among the chattering samurai he would do his best to steer clear of his traveling companions. Even if he hadnt heard the chatter, he was rather enjoying his time away from Kaichyo ... it was peaceful.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
Plainsfox rolled 8 10-sided dice: 7, 1, 3, 5, 2, 5, 1, 10 Total: 34 (8-80)

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:53 pm
Naohiko would continue his skulking, walking behind Kaichiyo and busied himself in finishing the origami mantis he was making earlier. May as well follow through with it. If Satoko had any comments headed his way, he would ignore them unless addressed specifically. Kaichiyo, of course he would respond to...but he doubted she wanted to talk to him right now. No matter.

Once they got to the courtyard and to the duel taking place, Naohiko would examine the scene. One of the most skilled Kraken in Iaijutsu, Naohiko would do his best to get a good view of the action. In particular, he wanted to see if he could spot any "unique" tactics involved....but was apparently lost in the breathtaking beauty of the setting or something. Ah well.

OOC:
Perception/Iaijutsu 5k2 w/ 3 dice to handle explossions
Results:12  
Raganui Minamoto rolled 7 10-sided dice: 2, 8, 6, 10, 7, 1, 2 Total: 36 (7-70)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 pm
Gendo would move in to study the weapons of the clan Princesses, after having made sure that Setsuna had satisfied walkies.

Voidpoint for 1k1: 4k2 - Perception: Weaponsmith

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Paidi tou Selini rolled 5 10-sided dice: 5, 1, 2, 2, 9 Total: 19 (5-50)

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:55 pm
The young heiress would not say a word. Between that thorough embarrassment and immediately hearing that a random stranger was intent of making her life hell and then wiping out her clan... it was all she could do to keep from crying. How could she end a family feud now three generations old, when the other family was so bitter, malicious, and ruthless? Daigotsu himself would have been a more compassionate opponent. Was defeating them, as her mother and grandfather had done before her, and passing the feud on to her own children the best she could really hope for? Suddenly this court wasn't seeming so fun anymore.

Kaichiyo settled into her place at the back and wiped the moisture from her eyes to better observe the duel. ...but the tears didn't seem to want to be dismissed so easily.

[Perception/Iaijutsu 3k2 = 7]  
[L5R 4e] Unity

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 81 82 83 84 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces