I pretty much love you for this.

i have to agree....
you rock kashi-ko  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:58 pm
kashi-ko
Roetroc
Well now you've opened a can of worms:
+people who used cotton/cotton blends/polyester in their clothes

Why is that such a big deal? some people work for a living and can't afford to weave their own linen cloth.
You don't have to weave it yourself. No one expects you to, and I think you know that. The trick is to find a happy medium for the best you can afford (look for bargain tables at selling events, I've found the most brilliant things there for magnificent prices)
kashi-ko
Roetroc
+hooded cloaks

I don't know about you but I'd like it if my ears didn't freeze off at night.
So wear the hood separately. That's period, and that way you can keep your ears covered.
kashi-ko
Roetroc
+non-period shoes (C'mon it's not like it's hard or anything)
It is hard. authentic shoes can be expensive, and from what I've seen, not many SCAdians are the richest people.

Some of the most period footwear available is absolutely free. Go bare-footed. We do have evidence people had feet for all of SCA period.
kashi-ko
Roetroc
+large girls wearing corsets
+corsets in general really
I am not a small girl. I like my corsets. What do you have against the corset?
They aren't period as an outer garment and they can look pretty stupid, especially on large women who like to pretend their fat is breasts.

Even though this is the internet, I think a certain amount of chivalry is still expected from SCAdians. Please remember that, Kashi-ko.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

kashi-ko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:23 pm
Mrsbruhaha
Alan the Great
^
I pretty much love you for this.

i have to agree....
you rock kashi-ko

Awww thank you  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:25 pm
Kittywitch
kashi-ko
Roetroc
Well now you've opened a can of worms:
+people who used cotton/cotton blends/polyester in their clothes

Why is that such a big deal? some people work for a living and can't afford to weave their own linen cloth.
You don't have to weave it yourself. No one expects you to, and I think you know that. The trick is to find a happy medium for the best you can afford (look for bargain tables at selling events, I've found the most brilliant things there for magnificent prices)
kashi-ko
Roetroc
+hooded cloaks

I don't know about you but I'd like it if my ears didn't freeze off at night.
So wear the hood separately. That's period, and that way you can keep your ears covered.
kashi-ko
Roetroc
+non-period shoes (C'mon it's not like it's hard or anything)
It is hard. authentic shoes can be expensive, and from what I've seen, not many SCAdians are the richest people.

Some of the most period footwear available is absolutely free. Go bare-footed. We do have evidence people had feet for all of SCA period.
kashi-ko
Roetroc
+large girls wearing corsets
+corsets in general really
I am not a small girl. I like my corsets. What do you have against the corset?
They aren't period as an outer garment and they can look pretty stupid, especially on large women who like to pretend their fat is breasts.

Even though this is the internet, I think a certain amount of chivalry is still expected from SCAdians. Please remember that, Kashi-ko.

I'm sorry? I didn't know I was being unchivalrous? I was simply speaking my mind. And I'm offended that you suggest all women that aren't built like 12 year old boys use corsets to pretend they have a chest.  

kashi-ko

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:42 am
kashi-ko
Kittywitch

I'm sorry? I didn't know I was being unchivalrous? I was simply speaking my mind. And I'm offended that you suggest all women that aren't built like 12 year old boys use corsets to pretend they have a chest.
I said nothing of the sort, I don't believe it, and it isn't true. I am sorry if you misunderstood me. I shall try to rephrase this as simply as possible. This might make it slightly less tactful than I would like and I beg the forgiveness of those who are reading.
I am not speaking of people-shaped people, who of course bear a little fat because that's how humans are shaped. I am speaking of women who actually are overweight, sometimes morbidly, and already have quite enough bosom, cinching their stomachs up to bolster their breasts into a postilion which is neither comfortable, aesthetic, or period. There is little I can do to make this statement inoffensive, as the subject matter is offensive. I am sorry if this offends you, but I have seen it and I feel it should be mentioned here. The SCA covers a wide time period, and there are fashions that look very comely on larger women. This is not one of them.
Women built like "twelve year old boys", as you said, never came into the question. There is a medium between grossly overweight and dangerously thin, and while most people fall into this category, you seem to be overlooking it.
It may only be my opinion, but I truly believe you were being much more hostile than the situation warrants, and that in this latest post you have become more so. It was never my intent to offend you or large women, while I am not sure how you became as offended as you are, I am sorry for it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:23 am
Kittywitch
Runa Whynd
What bothered me was that he wasn't the only one. There was a whole gaggle of Jack Sparrows at this event. They had obviously come as a group and though some of them were female variations, they were even working the mannerisms.
Cosplay is cool, but the SCA is not cosplay. Make your own character.
Agreed.
Now about this corset discussion.

Personally, as a woman who is - and I'm being honest with this - not just 'larger' but fat , I like my corset. It's an underbust corset so not much of the boob squeezing but it does wonderful things for my shape when adjusted properly. However, I don't usually wear it as a part of my garb. It just doesn't fit my Viking persona. However, when I do wear it at an event, it works just fine as underwear. Though I do like to show it off outside of the SCA.
And MrsB, on a related topic, I was wondering if you might like one of my leather bodices in the near future? A few modifications could give it a slight corseting effect.  

Runa Whynd

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:52 pm
I just spoke yesterday to a friend of mine on the subject of corsets. She feels that wearing one is more comfortable than a brassiere because it spreads the support over a larger area instead of concentrating it all on a tight band around the breasts and under them; it smoothes the shape of the body, even if it isn't tightened to make the figure look slimmer; it conceals any breast or belly jiggling (which most people do have, whatever their size or fitness level); and it improves posture. She feels also that concealing the jiggling of her womanly attributes is an aid to modesty.

I've only worn corsets for theatrical plays, but what I noticed was that if they aren't made to fit, they're extremely unflattering (and uncomfortable) because they push fat (plentiful or not) into places it wasn't meant to go; the custom-fitted ones are expensive ($300-ish for the cheaper ones!); and they do accentuate or create the narrower waist and comparatively wider hips and breasts, which to my mind isn't very modest. I prefer clothing that is loose enough to just skim the figure, but conceal the details, for both modesty and comfort.

However, one thing that I really wish people understood better is that a corset is an undergarment, not an outer garment. It should be worn UNDER the clothing. Only a prostitute or other loose woman would've been caught dead with a corset as an outer garment, in Period.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:34 pm
My corset was bought off the rack at a Con where I did wear it as outerwear. It fits well but they had a good selection. As to wearing them at SCA events, like I said, I generally don't. I understand that thier underwear in period. However, I have friend who's a pirate wench, and she wears her's as outerwear all the time and she loves it. She's not pretending to be a modest noblewoman or peasan t girl with it at least.

And for non corset annoyances, mish-mash garb. Everything in it is period for somewhere but there's almost no way they would be found in one outfit.  

Runa Whynd

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm
Runa Whynd
Personally, as a woman who is - and I'm being honest with this - not just 'larger' but fat , I like my corset. It's an underbust corset so not much of the boob squeezing but it does wonderful things for my shape when adjusted properly. However, I don't usually wear it as a part of my garb. It just doesn't fit my Viking persona. However, when I do wear it at an event, it works just fine as underwear. Though I do like to show it off outside of the SCA.
And MrsB, on a related topic, I was wondering if you might like one of my leather bodices in the near future? A few modifications could give it a slight corseting effect.
That isn't so bad, aesthetic-wise. I was speaking mostly in reference to the most popular, "tits on a tray" style bodice (I don't mean to be rude, but that's what it's called) which isn't even in period. It was worn by Caribbean whores.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:14 am
Runa Whynd
And for non corset annoyances, mish-mash garb. Everything in it is period for somewhere but there's almost no way they would be found in one outfit.

There are a few ways I can see this happening in Period (not just being reasonable for SCA, but actually IN PERIOD).

1. "My father was an Arab who came north to Spain, and my mother was a Gaul who came west to Spain. Yes, of course I'm Spanish, but look what my grandmother sent me, once she forgave my dad for marrying an infidel!"

2. Travelers. When one's robe finally wears out and can't be worn anymore (or would mark a higher-born or wealthier person as a member of a much lower social caste and therefore should be given to a servant), and one is far from home, one goes to a marketplace and buys something that will do until one can get home. "It's not a proper abaya/cheongsam/ao dai/kirtel, but it covers me appropriately, and the price was right."

3. Jews often attire to suit Jewish modesty standards, which were often more strict than those of the locals, just as we still do today. Also, in many areas, Jews were required to dress differently from the locals, either by adding a special hat, being restricted to certain colors, or not being permitted to wear clothing that allowed one to blend in and look like the natives. As a result, Jews within Period often looked very mishmashy.

4. Gypsies' stock-in-trade is their creative, gorgeous mishmash style. They do it cheerfully and purposefully. Other merchants may have copied the habit of wearing many different areas' fashions. "The dress is from Italy, the robe I got in France, the shoes are from Germany -- you like? You'll buy?"  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:32 am
See, those are all very reasonable and actually researched but I'm not just alking about Gypsies or a piece or two of clothing. I mean someone who just says, "Hey! I like that! I think I'll wear it. And that too. Oh, that would look wonderful with this." Without regard to where or when the pieces belong.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:36 pm
Divash
1. "My father was an Arab who came north to Spain, and my mother was a Gaul who came west to Spain. Yes, of course I'm Spanish, but look what my grandmother sent me, once she forgave my dad for marrying an infidel!"
I've heard persona stories like that so much... it's starting to make my eyes cross.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:17 am
Kittywitch
Divash
I've heard persona stories like that so much... it's starting to make my eyes cross.

Sure, but how many modern people have you heard saying "I'm Irish, Scotch (they never seem to know that Scots is a nationality and Scotch is whisky), German, and Native American?" Yeah, I hear that combination a LOT. Single-nationality lineage isn't common now, and it wasn't all that common in Period, either.

For instance, my rabbi is a descendant of the Rambam (Maimonides, Moshe ben Maimon, look him up). That makes him a Jewish Egyptian-Arab on his father's side. I believe his mother was French and Moroccan. His wife is French and Italian. Boring? Not hardly! Most people aren't single-lineage.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:57 pm
Divash
Kittywitch
Divash

Sure, but how many modern people have you heard saying "I'm Irish, Scotch (they never seem to know that Scots is a nationality and Scotch is whisky), German, and Native American?" Yeah, I hear that combination a LOT. Single-nationality lineage isn't common now, and it wasn't all that common in Period, either.

For instance, my rabbi is a descendant of the Rambam (Maimonides, Moshe ben Maimon, look him up). That makes him a Jewish Egyptian-Arab on his father's side. I believe his mother was French and Moroccan. His wife is French and Italian. Boring? Not hardly! Most people aren't single-lineage.
I think I must have phrased that in such a way that my point didn't even show up.
Perhaps I will try again when I am not half-asleep.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 am
Okay, I'm going to try again; though I am still not sure if I've made my point properly.

Your mixed heritage wasn't my point. I'm not saying anyone is solidly one heritage. That is silly. It did not come up in my thoughts, but since you've raised the subject, the mixture of different cultures was very different then than it is now.

Your persona story is a very mild version of a story I've heard alot; in which two or three or even four different cultures and sometimes even time periods are smashed together into one persona. I'm just getting tired of increasingly implausible persona stories. While that time period is not my area of expertise; in many time periods in question marrying someone from a different religion wasn't treated anything like it is now. It was not a question of talking to your parents, it was a question of killing everyone involved; and it may have been handled differently than most other examples in period. Like I said, this particular culture is not my area of expertise.
And frankly, my opinion of your persona story doesn't matter in the least.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff