Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 4e] Unity
L5R - Unity - Chapter 1 - Winter Solstice Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 81 82 83 84 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 am
Naohiko would try to keep up with the Hare clanswoman. He'd rather keep *just* behind the little bunny, but Naohiko had enough will to not do that right now.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:04 pm
Seeing Naohiko go on, Gendo would stick back to wait on the Hime. He doubted that she'd get much alone time til Winter court was over after that attack, either because of his own want to make sure she's safe or the Daidoji guards.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 am
Her tilt was visible, if barely. Not even lunch time and today continued to prove more exhausting and confounding than the toughest storm at sea. Thankfully before she could tilt further, Denbe was there to cut the confused tension.

"I'm starting to suspect women are also different on the mainland." she responded with a heavy sigh. If Satoko, Kioko, Otsune, and Ichi were anything to go by, the things Rokugan did to female minds were just as horrifying as Maho. Or perhaps it was proximity to the Shadowlands that did it. "Well, it’s kind of you to look after her. Or is that due to an arrangement?”

She gestured that they could keep walking as they talked so as not to hold everyone back.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:22 pm
Offering a friendly smile, Denbe would turn and gesture to Kaichiyo to lead the way. "That statement seems like a bit of dangerous territory for me to address. I'll try my best, but I do request you stay your blade if my answer is unsatisfactory." Walking beside Kaichiyo, he'd state, "From my experience, there are two types of samurai. Samurai who are content serving, being quiet, and keeping their heads down; and samurai who want more for themselves, to be known and to be remembered. There are plenty of samurai-ko who fit the former description, but most of them never really stand out. If you're wondering why you haven't noticed them, that's precisely my point."

He'd turn his gaze towards Ichi, a quick flash of possible concern on his face as he noted Naohiko's proximity towards her, though it vanished just as quickly. "Take Usagi-san. From what I can tell, she was galvanized by stories of a fellow Hare she admired from a century ago. Some hero that's motivated her to pursue the path she's done to the exclusion of everything else. I wouldn't say it's to the point of obsession or anything - rather, it's more of an indifference to anything that doesn't align with the stories in her head. I don't know how on-the-point I am with this, but that's what I've managed to pick up in casual conversation with her. Bits and pieces."

"My point is, Ichi is Ichi. She has defined herself, and I choose to respect her for her decision. If she wasn't who she was, then she would be someone completely different - if that makes sense. If she was one of those quiet, keep-your-head-down types, I might not have gotten to know her as I have - and, to answer your question, it was a purely personal choice; as someone trained by the Ide courtiers, I'd rather make a friend than not."
He would pause. "Surely, in the colonies, you have people who stand out in their individuality." Denbe would offer a sly smile. "Unless everyone over there is a singing duelist? If that were the case, that strikes me as a little too theatrical for my tastes."

Speaking of which, you all arrive at the theater without incident! Hurray! Naohiko, if Ichi noticed you unscrupulously tailing her, she has not acknowledged it.

The theater is open, and no performance is currently going on - but there does seem to be activity by the stage, as if they are preparing for one.

The audience area, however, was hardly full. There were some samurai here, and with the addition of all of you, it MIGHT be at 10% capacity. Apparently, Kioko cancelling did not do much to help replace the audience. Likely, those that showed up (mostly Crane) were those who did not know it had been booked.

However, you do see some faces which you recognize, from seeing them around at Winter Court:

• There seems to be a male Phoenix and female Crane sitting together; they seem to be happy in each other's company.
  • A Crab man who, at first, you might mistake as a misplaced kabuki actor. His face was painted, and long'ish black hair with a streak of jade green. He seemed to be intently observing preparations.
  • A rather pretty samurai-ko in a Fox family kimono, with long hair and a slightly rosy complexion. She seemed to be lost in thought.
  • A female bushi samurai of the phoenix, who was attractive (but less so than the Fox, since she didn't seem as interested in her appearance), her hair tied back in a long braid. Though sitting further back, she was keeping an eye on the Phoenix and Crane but trying to be discrete about it.
  • Two Scorpion who looked a lot alike (one male, one female), wearing half-face green masks that looked like they were two halves of the same mask. They were passing the time talking to each other.
  • A woman of the Spider who seemed a bit meek, her hair short, her eyes narrow. She seemed bored.

If any of you would want to sit near any of the above, the option is available.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Naohiko thought he was doing pretty well on the not perving on Ichi part of following behind her, would see the two Scorpions and recall his mandate given to him by his princess and sit down near them. "Good afternoon, Bayushi Kojiro-san. I'm Himura Naohiko. We met during the shogi tournament. May I inquire as to the name of your companion?"  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm
"Heh, well I'm certainly the latter, there's no denying that. Himura's legacy would demand no less. Though the thought that we might have an entire island of singing duelists is delightfully theatrical to my tastes, that's not quite what I meant. I say 'women' because it is not the differences, but the similarities that are starting to strike me. Not just Usagi-san, but all the women I've been able to interact with beyond a passing greeting... and a few within the passing greeting. Whether it be Rei for one, Chugo for another, Gi for a third, Makoto... mixed among them all, and Meyo here, it feels as if the women of the mainland interpret Bushido... differently than I am used to. Strangely, only the women. Yourself, Tamori-san, Asahina-san, kami save me even that Daigotsu I feel like I have a basic alignment of cosmic truths with. I can say something to you and not receive an utterly foreign reaction." she responded, the exasperation of her situation slowly showing more and more in her voice, though she let out a little huff through her nose - visible in the frozen air - at the end to recompose herself.

"I'd love to make friends, not only because my mother sent us here with that express purpose but even on a more base level a singing duelist is nothing without admirers. I feel as if I have been earnest, honest, and compassionate and it is exhaustively confusing to see those efforts met with either hostility or... whatever that was." she puffed again, though true to tone not in irritation but genuine confusion, gesturing at Ichi for emphasis in case it wasn't already obvious what she was talking about. "It likely wouldn't be getting to me as much as it is if it wasn't all happening within the first few days of our arrival. It's far more reasonable to think I've just been unlucky, but for now it looks like a trend."

"Which in hindsight, I realize probably sounds like I'm just complaining. This isn't a plea for pity. Just trying to make myself clear." she concluded, giving a little bow of embarrassment. Their arrival to the theater saw an astute eye sizing up the area. There were a few interesting faces, and a good bit of relief to see that they weren't the only ones who had gone despite the cancellation. After Naohiko had brought that particular storytelling-minded Scorpion to her attention and she hadn't found a good time to pursue it, she could only frown sadly when he jumped at the opportunity to talk to him first, but she didn't let Denbe see it. She was here with the minor clansmen after all, and while the pretty faces called to her heartstrings, they were strings still damaged by Kioko's sharp words, so the call of duty won out by far, and she stayed with present company.  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm
Gendo would stick with Kaichiyo, staying quiet as they arrived at the theater. Looking at those in attendance, he'd find an isolated seat near the Hime and just enjoy the show... and wonder if they'd perhaps serve some sake to go with it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:30 pm
@ Naohiko:

Abandoning Project Ichi, you approach a pair of Scorpion! Upon closer examination, you do see striking similarities between both samurai; they have similar facial structures, and you quickly realize that they are likely related. Their half-mask theme does seem to further support this theory.

The male would would turn and take a second or two to examine you, the female perhaps doing so for half as long. He would smile politely, before responding. "Hello Himura-san. I do recall an encounter with you during the tournament. By your tone, it sounds like we didn't introduce ourselves properly?"

"He wasn't one of your opponents," the woman would sigh, closing her eyes and lifting a hand to place her fingers to her forehead in either embarrassment and/or frustration. There would be a few seconds of pause. "The one who was interrupting your match?"

Kojiro's eyes would brighten with recollection and he would smile, lightly hitting an upturned fist into an open palm. "Oh! Yes, I remember you now! Hello, Himura-san!"

The woman would mutter to herself lowly, "Yare yare daze..."

"Since I don't remember giving you my name formally, I am Bayushi Kojiro," the man would say somewhat cheerfully, before gesturing to the woman. "And this brusque lady beside me is my sister Masuyo."

"Charmed to meet you, Himura-san," Masuyo would say, turning and offering a polite smile to Naohiko, her eyes closed, before turning her gaze stageward.

"I see that you too are a fan of theater, and would not pass up the opportunity to see a Crane show! Unless this is more of a show of support for Doji Kioko-hime, due to the illness she has suddenly and unexpectedly fallen victim to?" Offering a sly smile, he would rest his cheek in one hand, tilting his head slightly. "Or perhaps, a defiant act of anti-establishmentarianism?"

Kojiro would be jarred as he was elbowed in the side by Masuyo. "Pay attention to your surroundings, moron." Kojiro would turn to look at his sister, and followed her gaze to Kaichiyo elsewhere in the theater. "You're a yojimbo for your princess, aren't you?" she'd ask Naohiko. "Are you here to scout us? Don't believe the hype, not all the Scorpion are devious villains."

"Pretty much just her," Kojiro would respond, before being elbowed again.

--------------------

@ Kaichiyo, Gendo:

Naohiko abandons the group! He sits by a pair of Scorpion and begins chatting with them.

"Forgive me if I'm out of place, Himura-hime, but your clanmate is hard to read. I thought by the way he was sticking close to Usagi-san, he was drawn to her," Denbe would muse aloud.

"Drawn, how?" Ichi would say, realizing she was being referenced, being drawn from her funk to look at the other three.

"I'll explain it later," Denbe would say, giving a dismissive wave to the topic. Ichi would pout in frustration, puffing out her cheeks. "Himura-hime, Gendo-san, do you have a preference for seating? Would closer seating be more desirable?" The way Denbe posed the question to include Gendo, a TN 15 Awareness/Etiquette roll (optional) would indicate that Denbe was trying to politely broach the topic of Gendo's limited vision without causing offense.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:13 pm
"I have no real qualms as to seating." He'd move to look at the stage, then back to the group. "Well, perhaps back a bit. Able to take in more there."  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:08 am
"Mm, well, you're not wrong." she hummed melodically in response. "We've grown up together and I still struggle with that at times. I did instruct him to be our liaison to the Scorpion, among a few others, when we first arrived. I meant for that to be during Court, but perhaps he was inspired by something."

She pursed her lips and considered Gendo's answer, ultimately shaking her head in the fashion only a true aficionado could. "Not too close perhaps, but we can't sit too far either. To truly appreciate an artistic display you must be immersed in it! I'd say riiiiight.... here!" A confident stride took them to the second row and whoever happened to be sitting there since NPC positions weren't listed.  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Rain Yupa generated a random number between 1 and 4 ... 1!

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:15 pm
((Since Kaichiyo specified 'second row' and 'next to an NPC', we will eliminate the occupied Scorpion and the phoenix that was declared sitting further back:

Clan Couple
Crab
Mantis
Spider))

@ Gendo & Kaichiyo:

"Oh, hello," the Crane woman would say, a bit taken aback by the sudden appearance of 4 minor clansman sitting close to her and the Phoenix. It was a momentary shock, but one a great clansman doesn't really see every day so the shock was there. She was about Kaichiyo and Gendo's age, maybe a year or two older tops. What probably stood out is that while her mid-back-length white hair was typical for a Crane, her black hair roots were showing. Unusual to see a Crane who dyed their hair wouldn't maintain it. She was friendly faced, and when she smiled it was a sincere one. Her eyes would look a bit tired, though.

"Hello, Denbe-san," the Phoenix man sitting next to her would say, making eye contact with your Ox companion. He didn't seem to recognize Ichi nor either of you. Even though sitting, you can tell he was a tall man, very broad-shouldered with a square jaw. His hair was very short and topknotted. He had one of those gazes that seemed unwavering.

"Hello, Noburo-san, Mitsuko-san," Denbe would say to them, nodding politely. Looking to the Crane, he'd bow his head. "Sorry, we haven't met. Noburo has spoken much about you, enough to drive his peers mad with jealousy. It's great to finally meet you."

The Crane, Mitsuko, would redden with some embarrassment and look downward, but she would smile, not saying anything.

"Group outing, I take it?" the Phoenix Noburo would ask, casting glances at you.

"That's about right," Denbe would say. "Two of our number are from the Colonies, and I believe this will be their first mainland play. Allow me to introduce my friends. This is Himura Kaichiyo, heiress to the champion of the new Kraken clan; her traveling compaion and clanmate, Himura Gendo; and finally, Usagi Ichi."  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:12 pm
Naohiko smiled for a brief second. Their banter reminded him of the interplay between energetic, excitable Sanjuro and calm, intellectual Sakura, his two youngest siblings. "I'm just here to watch a play.....and ask if you've considered my request from the shogi tournament, Kojiro-san. Himura-hime would love to hear tales of Kitsuki heroes. Given that you'll agree that Kitsuki Senzo-san is unlikely to converse with her, I do hope you'll arrange to meet with Himura-hime...at your convienence of course." Naohiko would then throw up his hands as he shifted gears. "And that is all of my official business, now on to the play! Are you two familiar with the cast here or the playwright?"  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm
"Hello! Pleasure to meet you." she chimed up melodically post-introductions, perhaps a bit more sing-song than usual as pangs of emotional distress shot through her. "We were just discussing differences between colonies and mainland. I'm excited to see what they have to offer."

The name sounded oddly familiar, but she couldn't quite place where she'd heard it, and after some time could only give up and turn her attention to the stage unless further conversation was forthcoming.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 pm
@ Naohiko the frog:

"Request?" Kojiro would respond to Naohiko, giving him a blank stare for a second. He would look down, mumbling to himself, "Request... request... request..." He would light up. "Oh! The Kitsuki heroine thing!"

"Nani?" Masuyo would respond.

Turning to his sister, Kojiro would answer her. "Himura-san wanted his hime to hear about a famous Kitsuki. Kitsuki Senzo was less than amicable to the idea. It's a strange request."

"Baka, Himura was of the Kitsuki. I know you knew that."

"Oh! ... ooooohhhh. I think I remember hearing something about him once." Laughing awkwardly, Masuyo would sigh in defeat.

"Himura-san, I'm afraid that your request is a difficult one. My idiot brother and I are actors of the Scorpion, but we specialize in the events of a group of heroes from about a century ago. A generation before Himura's time. There were two Scorpion in their party, whom my brother has taken the name of one of them. It was their contributions to restoring peace to an otherwise tumultuous time of the Empire that inspired us to study their history. The former Bayushi Kojiro's son, Kenta, founded the dojo that we study at."

"Truth be told, there was actually a Kitsuki - a female one - in the party as well," Kojiro piped in. "But like my loquacious sister suggested, this individual would not have been part of one Kitsuki Himura's tales." A momentary pause, before Kojiro glanced at Masuyo. "Right?" Masuyo would nod.

--------------------

@ Kaichiyo & Gendo:

"Ah, I don't think either of us would be good resources for that discussion. Neither of us have ever been out of the Empire before," Noburo would respond to Kaichiyo. "Now that I think about it, I don't think much artwork makes it way here. Mitsuko?"

"I... don't think I've ever seen a Colonial painting, no..." Mitsuko would say, a twinge of embarrassment in her voice, as if she felt like she should have.

"Phoenix and Crane are a bit too traditional, so Unicorn or Mantis would be your best bet to find any artwork that made its way here. Maybe Scorpion as well?"

"Actually, I think I have seen some," Denbe would muse. "There aren't very many stylistic differences that I could see, but I don't really have an eye for that. I'm more crafty than arty," Denbe would confess. Turning to the others, he would clarify. "See, Mitsuko-san and Noburo-san here are both famous painters from their respective clans. They are betrothed to one another, with their marriage slated for this spring."

"Oh, congratulations," Ichi would say.

A Raw Awareness roll of TN 10 would let either of you know how proud and happy Noburo looked when Denbe shared this news. If the roll would beat TN 20, it would allow you to notice Mitsuko's gaze falter a bit, as if she was less enthused. Gendo, your vision penalty will apply to your roll if you choose to make it.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 pm
"Please allow me to correct your misconception! Himura Kaichiyo-hime wishes to hear the stories of all heroes, not just of Kitsuki Himura himself. Truth be told, she probably knows all of his stories by heart." Naohiko paused and looked over to the stage to see how quickly the stagehands were working and/or any indicators that the show may start soon. "But she would love to hear stories of those you have mentioned, most assuredly! This time Naohiko was looking more at Masuyo than her brother. "I'm certain she would enjoy any tales you had for her. I know your talent may be in much demand, but it would be greatly appreciated if either of you could spare some time and share your tales with our princess.  
[L5R 4e] Unity

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 81 82 83 84 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games