Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are your Parents and friends okay with you being Gothic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are they?
  No
  yes
  one not the other
View Results

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:31 pm
My parents don't love it, but they don't hate it either. As long as I don't do anything bad, and as long as I dress presentably when we're with family and stuff, they're all right with it. My mom does make comments about all the black I wear though.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:18 pm
I think that they've got the idea in their head that I'm just a style-exploring transvestite.

And for the most part, they're right.

-Isel-

Mage The Red

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:07 pm
I`d go onto a giant rant about how bad they are, but I'll keep it short. They don't like it at all. I mean, I'm practically under all these restrictions, and my friends hardly show any sympathy.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:44 pm
My friends don't care, I'm me if I dress all in black or all in fluorescent colours. My parents don't like it but they'll put up with me so long as it's their sence of reasonible. Which isn't much.  

nikia kitty

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:05 pm
My dad: Kewl.

My mum: Not kewl.

And it just so happens I live with my mum. Dx

(my parents are divorced)

You see, my mum is the more hard working of the two, and since she has had to bring up three kids pratically herself (not anymore, now it's two troublesome teens. xD Me(15) and Calum(14). My big brother now lives on his own somewhere. He's 19 now.) and so she has had to be a lot stricter with us since there has always been one less parent. But it's always "When I was your age i was hard-working" or "When I was your age, I was helping around the house etc etc" and I keep trying to tell her that I am "me", not her. She doesn't stop me from wearing anything, but she is the mian source of my self esteem problem, because if she ever walks in on me getting ready to see my friends and I've got loads of eye make-up on, she'll say in a haughty tone "I think that looks ridiculous. You look much prettier without it. And without that spiked collar too, and most of your clothes in general. Why can't you be more feminine?" It sucks a** big time. Hell, let alone trying to give her the hint that I'm gothic, I've even told her left, right and center that i was a lesbian. What do i get? "Well, I'm not mad or angry, but I just wanted you to have a family when your older," and most of the time, whether it's TV or music vids or whatever, if there is a really good-looking guy mentioned, she'll always say something like "Oh wow. He's hot, isn't he?" or if a male friend calls, and she asks who it is, it's always the same usual "OOohhh! Mike, is it?" sort of thing. (I obviously can't insert tone here. Deal. D<)

My dad? Complete opposite. He is obsessed with the devil, as am I. I don't mean that we're satanists and slit our wrists and s**t like that, I mean as in we love any kind of rock or metal that is associated with satan or death. My dad's movie collection also has a consistent line of "satanic" titles too. So he's more or less kewl with the way that I am. xD

[random example]
(I am wearing a spiked collar, and this is how my parents react)
Mum: mad What is THAT?!? Take that off THIS INSTANT!
Dad: surprised Hey, check out the dog collar! Pretty neat!

So yeah...Dx

And my friends are kewl with anything. Hell, my group of friends are the most varied friends ever. We don't have all one label or even label each other. xD We are all individuals, so what we are all into doesn't affect anyone else. razz

and that is it. I apologize for my ranting. Dx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 pm
well my mum doesnt care but my dad hates the way i dress.  

Maggot4life91

ketchakik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:28 pm
my mom doesn't like me wearing my collar....other than that everyone is pretty ok with how i dress  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:57 am
My mom dressed the same way when she was younger, she'd still do it now if she could.
My boyfriend and his mother dress the same way, his sister is starting to do it as well.

My grandparents buy me clothes too, so I'd say they don't care.
My grandmother wants to get her lip pierced too haha.  

VampiBear

Outside The In Crowd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:13 am
My Mum doesn't care. My dad doesn't care. My sister complains a lot. My brother doesn't care. And my friends dress pretty much the same way so they don't care either.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:19 am
I can't say that they like me being goth. And to tell you the truth, I can't even call myself goth, because I'm black, and "black people can't be goth" (quote from my mom). I'm more of an enigma. Yeah.  

Nazo no Kanjojin

Azouie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:14 am
My dad doesn't mind at all; he likes a lot of the same music as me (aside from the heavier stuff, and Guns N Roses XD)

My gran doesn't really notice, and thinks some of my more elegant stuff (like my awesome black and red shirt and skirt X3) look very pretty.

My mum's AWESOME. She's a "goth" too =D She'll let me wear whatever the hell I want, encourages me to look at certain gothic items/shops, and wants to buy me New Rocks when she has spare money whee and she wants some too ^^;;

My friends.....well, the majority of them ARE "goths". We share many of the same interests, and I got a few of them into anime, manga and actually kinda turned one of my friends into a "goth"/emo XD

My boyfriend......well, he's a "goth" too =D I love him to absolute itty bitty pieces X3 he introduced me to a lot of good music, as I did to him *cough*Gackt*cough*.

Yuh, the quote marks around "goth" is 'cause none of us call ourselves that. Except maybe for my mum, bless her. It's what chavs and other people (like one of my lovely friends who is fascinated by us) call us; we're not wannabes. Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:16 am
My parents wish that I would not wear so much black and wear more bright colors. They kind of don't argue with me, because I buy my stuff and they know that they can't keep me from wearing it.... They are kind of used to it by now I guess you could say...  

Devils_lilboy

x Socks x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:40 pm
Yes-huh. For a while they weren't because I did dress pretty trashy (now that I reflect on it.) All they ever asked was that I didn't wear clothes that literally looked like I took them out of a trash can. sweatdrop Anyways, no, they don't have an issue with it, because to have an issue with it, they'd have to not like my music, and that's not the case.

They actually kind of like my music. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:05 pm
According to the people I know, I can't be put into a label. I hang out with every type of labeled people there are and I don't dress like anything to the extreme o.O  

A Little Retarded

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:41 pm
My Mom adore's my being Goth, she always telling me that if she was only 40 years younger she'd be the same way. My Dad not so much...hell knows why he doesn't approve. My friends don't really look at that aspect of me but rather my personality, as long as I keep on being the wonderful me that I am, they don't care.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff