Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Tutorials
Sewing Cosplays for Beginners Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:13 pm
Reading Patterns

This is another topic that is hard to talk about in person, but I hope I can convey this in a way that I can and through videos. Please watch these videos to help you in learning more about reading patterns. I have found once you learn about it, you'll fine that you'll read the the patterns less and less as you get comfortable.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 pm
Layout of Instructions (Outside)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The first thing you need to do is to flip your pattern to the back. Your back has a list of things you need to know before you start sewing and your shopping list.

I went to Simplicity patterns and picked a costume for Jedi garb and cloaks for this example. and will tell you about each people of the information.

Side

If you look on the side there are some images of the clothing. Some patterns will only show you the backside of the pattern, since the front will have the front parts, or they could have both front and back views. This allows you to see details in the costume. It also gives a letter to the costume. This is important for figuring out which piece you want to do. Often costume sets are labeled the same letter, but that is okay. I'll tell you more about individual pieces as we talk about the rest of the packet.

Top to Bottom

The rest of the instructions starts with a brief example of what is in the packet. In the case of this pattern it says "Misses', men's, teen's robe and tunic". This can also give you clues to if it's a historical pattern and what era.

Your next section talks about fabric and switch fabric to use for the costume or for parts of the costume. The fabric guide is just fabrics that they recommend, but not require. The recommended fabric looks better in the way it folds.

After that it's notions. Notions are non-fabric pieces (like buttons and hooks) to help complete the garment. The packet in this spot will tell you what and how much you need for the piece.

Measurements are next. It's important that you get the right size. To do this you measure the suggested area. Some areas you want it tight around and some areas you want to make sure you have breathing room. Think of it this way tight and straight, breathing room and circular. Always take the size with the largest measurement. Once you learn more you can adjust the sizing for it, but you don't want to make it too small.

Now comes the fabric amounts. You find the amount of fabric based on your measurements. Each fabric amount is in yard intervals. So when a size XL robe A calls for 8 3/8 it's saying it needs 8 and 3/8 yard. I also recommend (as do others) getting a little extra fabric just in case you have a mess up. You'll notice that there are instructions for how much fabric an individual piece has, this allows you to make that one piece.

Here's some videos to help out

Patterns by Cosplay Fabrics
How to read and envolope by Koumori no Hime  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm
Reading the inside Instructions

There are a variety of things you need to know about the inside instructions. They're different from those on the outside. The outside is more of a shopping guide while the inside shows you how to put the piece together.

The instructions on the inside will tell you how to cut out your pieces, sew, and a lot more. Each instruction set well even tell what each symbol means and it's important that you read the instructions if you have not used that pattern or a similar pattern before.

Additional Videos

Reading instructions by my friend Avon
Cutting Out A Pattern by Avon
Reading Patterns
How to use a Simplicity Pattern by Simplicity  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:08 am
Choosing and Altering Patterns

Finding the right pattern to make a costume is important. Does it look right for the era or character? Is it my right size?

Good news is there is a lot of resources online and you don't have to go to the craft store to find the right one, only to buy it. Even if it's not completely right you can also alter it. This is a must when you're on the too short or too tall spectrum.

Patterns are not meant to be custom to you, but to cover a wide range of people. Please remember to make it to your size you'll have to learn to alter it. Please use the resources below to find your patterns and alter them.

Also note that there is a lot more pattern companies out there, but I'm recommending my favorites and ones I feel you should know.

Additional Videos

How to chose and alter patterns
Choosing the Right Pattern by Avon
How to Shop for Patterns by Cosplay Fabrics
Altering a Pattern
Choosing a Sewing Pattern by Koumori no Hime
How to shorten or lengthen a Pattern by Koumori no Hime

Pattern Companies and Details

Simplicity, Burda, New Look: Simplicity and her two sister companies are one of the largest amount of pattern companies in the US, while Burda is originally a German brand.

McCalls, Vogue, Butterrick, and Kwick: Another large pattern company in the US with themed lines. Vogue for the hottest fashions, Butterrick for more historical pieces, and Kwick for easy to do pieces.

Cut/Sew: This company gears towards the cosplay community and has patterns geared towards the subculture.

Truly Victorian: This company gears with fashions that were popular in the Victorian Era.

Red Thread: This company has historical corset and stay patterns.

Laughing Moon: Laughing Moon is also another historical pattern company.

Sense and Sensibility: Another historical pattern company.

Folkwear: This company deals with historical and ethnic folkwear.

Reconstructing History: Another historical pattern company that also does pieces for different countries and eras.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300