Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[PF] All Aboard/Paradise River [FULL] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:04 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Mongooseh
Keith Valken Lionheart
Captain Ragnar Devonin
@frog_mage: Please re-roll for hit points in the thread I linked in the first post, as I asked be done in the first post... I'll be deleting this thread once I'm done with it. Please let me know when you've fixed your feats.
@Keith Valken Lionheart: With frog_mage and Disciple of Sakura, I actually got 2, however, Group A did lose one person so I could slip you in there if you'd like. As for the archetype, as it seems to be 3rd party, I'm going to say no to that. Sorry. 3P and I don't have a good history and once I start allowing some, its' hard to justify say no to others.
@Disciple of Sakura: As Spellslinger doesn't get Gun Training naturally, I don't think they would get it here just because they get Gunsmithing. Mostly I was just giving it as an option to your Gunslinger to replace the doubled-up feature that way you get something useful instead of an ability repeat.

@Mongooseh: Thanks for your help so far. xD.

I understand, but while the Combat Style IS 3P, the feats I get from it are core. Otherwise, there is little reason for me to play as a Ranger with a gun, since none of the Combat Styles support guns, in which case I'd have to back out.

Why not choose the Archery combat style but just call it firearms. All the feats still work apart from many shot.
Or Rapid Shot. Either way, it doesn't feel thematic.

Musket combat style did? Otherwise Rapid shot works if you have something like a lever action or a revolver.  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:08 pm
Mongooseh
Keith Valken Lionheart
Mongooseh
Keith Valken Lionheart
Captain Ragnar Devonin
@frog_mage: Please re-roll for hit points in the thread I linked in the first post, as I asked be done in the first post... I'll be deleting this thread once I'm done with it. Please let me know when you've fixed your feats.
@Keith Valken Lionheart: With frog_mage and Disciple of Sakura, I actually got 2, however, Group A did lose one person so I could slip you in there if you'd like. As for the archetype, as it seems to be 3rd party, I'm going to say no to that. Sorry. 3P and I don't have a good history and once I start allowing some, its' hard to justify say no to others.
@Disciple of Sakura: As Spellslinger doesn't get Gun Training naturally, I don't think they would get it here just because they get Gunsmithing. Mostly I was just giving it as an option to your Gunslinger to replace the doubled-up feature that way you get something useful instead of an ability repeat.

@Mongooseh: Thanks for your help so far. xD.

I understand, but while the Combat Style IS 3P, the feats I get from it are core. Otherwise, there is little reason for me to play as a Ranger with a gun, since none of the Combat Styles support guns, in which case I'd have to back out.

Why not choose the Archery combat style but just call it firearms. All the feats still work apart from many shot.
many shot would work if he doesn't mind asking for an elephant gun... or any multi barreled rifle

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 pm
Yeah I was thinking that too but didn't bother editting the after thought in.  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:30 pm
I was thinking of using a rifled musket that shot Minie ball rounds, so I won't be TOO far behind in tech, unless I can get a bolt-action, breech-loaded rifle of sorts. The only thing that holds me back is the reload rate of a musket. Full-round action hurts, with the feat I get from the Combat Style it makes me reload with a Move Action. IIRC bolt-action rifles existed before the wild west. I could be happy with a Winchester Model 1873.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:33 pm
I'm using a lever action with 6 capacity I don't think a bolt rifle is too far out.  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:46 pm
If I can get a bolt-action breechloader of sorts or a needle gun with an internal 5rd capacity, I'd be OK. Full-round action to reload an empty mag every 5 rounds is A-OK with me. Either way, DM's word on this one.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 pm
Quote:
Each weapon can have 1 upgrade, with additional upgrades allowed (up to a maximum of 3), but drawbacks need to be taken (up to 2, to account for each additional upgrade). Each upgrade also increases the base price of the weapon by +50%.

I'm going to reserve the right to have the final say on what is OK and what isn't, but otherwise I'll let you guys play with it. As long as it makes sense, and you just keep in mind: cool/unique/interesting, but not broken.

The idea isn't to make the gun with the most benefit for the least drawback; its' to make something different, and unique. As such, I will restrict it to only one modified weapon each. IC logic? Perhaps it just takes a superb gunsmith to modify weapons in this way (especially in this era) and they're costly, and rare.

Using Jun's weapon as an example...

Upgrade (Free): Increased Range (+20 ft.; so 40 ft. for a Revolver or 100 ft. for a Rifle)
Drawback: Half Ammo Capacity
Upgrade: Increased Damage Step
Drawback: Special Training (Weapon requires MWP to use 2-handed, but can be used 1-handed with EWP).
Upgrade: 1 Damage Step/Range Increment

It'd cost +150%, or in the case of the 400 GP Revolver - 1000gp. (400x2.5).

Thematically, it could big a big gun with a small cylinder, or a slightly bigger gun but fires bigger/deadlier rounds that give the weapon a much different kick (thus requiring the use of two hands or a greater proficiency).

The free upgrade cannot be one that modifies threat range, threat multiplier, or damage. You can modify weight, range, extra capacity (we'll say 1 for revolvers, 3 for rifles) or similar rather benign upgrade. If you wish to increase the threat range, it decreases the multiplier by 1; however, I see no harm in allowing an increased multiplier on its' own.

So to summarize:
Each upgrade increases cost +50%
1 Free Upgrade
Up to 2 additional upgrades, but you must have drawbacks to counter them.
Cool/interesting, and unique - not broken, most bang for your buck, etc... (No getting +capacity free, then 1/2 capacity drawback).
Free upgrades cannot increase damage, threat range, or multiplier.
If threat range is increased, multiplier is decreased.
I reserve the right to veto anything I feel is wrong.
Only one modified weapon.

This is from cap'n hidden in the original thread see if you can make sense of it but it's the rules for home brew guns unless there is an upgraded version.  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:51 pm
Okay. Here's my completed character and her +1
Sister Theresa Oakley and her ward, Dio Musta.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:54 pm
Life = Blah sometimes. >.<

Anyhow:

@Keith: I'll look over the archetype again tomorrow after I wake up and let you know.
@Sakura: Although I mentioned this in the thread in the subby, companion level is 2. Aside from that looks good.
@frog_mage: Let me know when you've finished up/repost the link so I don't have to hunt for it (and keep checking to see if you've fixed up your feats or not... )  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:08 am
Captain Ragnar Devonin
Life = Blah sometimes. >.<

Anyhow:

@Keith: I'll look over the archetype again tomorrow after I wake up and let you know.
@Sakura: Although I mentioned this in the thread in the subby, companion level is 2. Aside from that looks good.
@frog_mage: Let me know when you've finished up/repost the link so I don't have to hunt for it (and keep checking to see if you've fixed up your feats or not... )

Weird... I could've sworn I read "3rd," but I was clearly mistaken. Well, he's been updated. Poor Dio is going to die real soon, I imagine...  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:08 am
@Disciple of Sakura: Its' fine, it happens. biggrin
@Keith: If you want to go with a bolt-action rifle, that works fine with me. Advanced Firearms are only a move-action to reload. Even still, after looking over the archetype... I think I'm going to go with Mongooseh on this one (and stand by the initial no). Essentially all it is is just a name change, and it restricts your options... Precise shot at 11th level? Far shot at 6th? The only real benefit is the quick load thing, but I'd be fine just adding Rapid Reload to your list of bonus feats for first level (I think there's a Ranger crossbow style that has that as an option), thus pretty much netting you the same thing. o.o

So can just call it Firearms Combat Style and be done. o.o This also means you'd actually have options for your ranger bonus feats, instead of being forced to take only two (the first of which is almost worthless here) 'eh' ones.

Not that you'd necessarily need rapid reload unless you went with the musket.

If you're still dropping out at this, well, I apologize for not being able to come to an agreement with you and thank you for your interest.  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:07 pm
I'll be OK with a bolt-action rifle, if possible. Um... should I use the weapon customization thing or will you make the gun for me?  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 am
You can unless you'd prefer I do it. o.o
I can't say I know much about the weapon you mentioned earlier though.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff