Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.
What's YOUR Opinion On The Disney Anime? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 am
Hahaha XD You're quite right. Afterall, the new Disney anime series are being produced by Disney and made in Japan, similar to the way Miyazaki films are released in America, only Miyazaki isn't comissioned by Disney to make films exclusively for them...so there is actually a big difference. In addition, however, Disney dub Miyazaki films themselves before they are rereleased, essentially making them Disney anime films.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 am
Cheremy LeBeau
I made an earlier post discussing the anime projects Disney have lined up. Oh, and do try harder not to sound snobbish over terminology; elitists aren't welcome at this guild :/

The question is, is it being snobby to say "all anime is cartoons" or "anime are not cartoons."?

To me, they're all one and the same, the only difference is what is being told in that format. (I.E. "Bugs bunny and Evangellion are both cartoons, but the maturity in both are radically dissimilar.")

and Phantom, no, that just means they distribute the films to the US and other markets. It would be like saying that Dragon Ball Z is made by Funimation, not entirely incorrect, but not correct either.  

ThiefofHearts

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:49 am
To be honest, you're bring up an argument in terminology (anime/animation/cartoons = the same thing) that everybody here is familiar with, probably to look clever. It doesn't impress anyone and it doesn't earn you any friends. I'm not trying to be harsh, but when you stray from the point in question to make yourself look smart, the other members roll their eyes.

Then again, if you think I'm being unfair, you could create a new topic to discuss the "all anime is cartoons" or "anime are not cartoons" argument. I just think it's unfair to Lucy that you replied in such a manner, all the while knowing exactly what she meant in her post. I don't want to knock you, but it's my duty to ensure all members of this guild respect each other.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:10 am
Cheremy LeBeau
To be honest, you're bring up an argument in terminology (anime/animation/cartoons = the same thing) that everybody here is familiar with, probably to look clever. It doesn't impress anyone and it doesn't earn you any friends. I'm not trying to be harsh, but when you stray from the point in question to make yourself look smart, the other members roll their eyes.

Then again, if you think I'm being unfair, you could create a new topic to discuss the "all anime is cartoons" or "anime are not cartoons" argument. I just think it's unfair to Lucy that you replied in such a manner, all the while knowing exactly what she meant in her post. I don't want to knock you, but it's my duty to ensure all members of this guild respect each other.

I didn't intend to act in that manner or lord over anyone- I really hate the whole argument myself, strictly put her question was very undefined and I asked what did she mean by it- that they went back to standard animation (going into the "these are all cartoons" statement) or the Lilo and Stitch tv program made for Japanese audiences. She might be talking about something completely different.

So yeah, back on topic.  

ThiefofHearts

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:19 am
Well, I'm glad to know you weren't trying to lord over anyone, but I assumed you were a smart enough guy to know exactly what she meant, as is the case with most elitists and their "pretend to be dumb for the sake of starting an argument" attidute (doesn't that irritate you beyond reason? x__X)....didn't mean to pounce on you as I would with genuine elitists, so please excuse me for that (^^;; ) I can already tell we'll have many educated discussions in the future (^___^)

However, as you said, let's get back on topic. Any thoughts you'd like to share?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:40 am
Cheremy LeBeau
Well, I'm glad to know you weren't trying to lord over anyone, but I assumed you were a smart enough guy to know exactly what she meant, as is the case with most elitists and their "pretend to be dumb for the sake of starting an argument" attidute (doesn't that irritate you beyond reason? x__X)....didn't mean to pounce on you as I would with genuine elitists, so please excuse me for that (^^;; ) I can already tell we'll have many educated discussions in the future (^___^)

However, as you said, let's get back on topic. Any thoughts you'd like to share?

Don't forget the "lulz" like Haruhi is "that dancing anime". But it's okay, I'm new here, you don't know me from adam and you're trying to keep this board to it's original intent.

If she's talking about what I think she is saying (some sort of anime inspired or a colab), I hope that whatever they make is good, not strictly some sort of mish-mash that was formulated by a suit to "get the kids to put down their narutos" and would be a lot more honest than Atlantis or Lion King (or even the live action film "The Pacifier") in its origins.

If she's talking about "The Princess and the Frog", a "Frog Prince" story told in New Orleans, the trailer looks fantastic and I love the style they have going.

Either way I just hope they stay away from the formula that people got sick of once they kept trying to recreate the success of the Lion King.  

ThiefofHearts

Stardust Explosion

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:25 pm
It's funny how western weaboos hate on Disney because in Japan they frickin' LOVE Disney stuff over there...

Disney was pretty good before they just started churning out pop culture laden 3D animated movie s**t.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Perhaps that's because Western animated films are becoming more like family oriented comedies, rather than examples of classic cartoon animation..?  

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

Rio diGennaio

Greedy Raider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:33 am
I have seen what lurks beyond the door of death...

America seems to find anime as a big seller nowadays, what with many channels such as Sci-fi and Starz going for the whole anime biz. But Disney should just stick to their stocks deploding whilst the actual anime companies take care of the shows. Really, much of the meddling in trying to impersonate Japanese anime is basically like saying "We're at the bottom." I'm not saying that anime is the bottom of the barrel, but when America attempts at it...well...it doesn't exactly come out as a big seller. Original anime and manga is having a hard-enough time as is raking in money. I'll laugh if this does become big, though.

...but I have not seen what lurks beyond the door of life.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:19 am
Noa Qep
I have seen what lurks beyond the door of death...

America seems to find anime as a big seller nowadays, what with many channels such as Sci-fi and Starz going for the whole anime biz. But Disney should just stick to their stocks deploding whilst the actual anime companies take care of the shows. Really, much of the meddling in trying to impersonate Japanese anime is basically like saying "We're at the bottom." I'm not saying that anime is the bottom of the barrel, but when America attempts at it...well...it doesn't exactly come out as a big seller. Original anime and manga is having a hard-enough time as is raking in money. I'll laugh if this does become big, though.

...but I have not seen what lurks beyond the door of life.
Maybe so, but the Disney anime isn't actually aimed at the American market, so that sorta dissolves your point (^^;; ) Still, they are adopting a new style in order for these specific cartoons to be enjoyed, so owning up to saying "We're at the bottom" in Asia looks kinda plausible. Hehe.  

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:35 am
This is a little off topic, but I'm going in the direction of the conversation ^^;;

I watched "The Pixar Story" the other day, a film all about Pixar. Their history, their work ethic, their relationship with Disney; everything was covered from the start of their journey to present day. It was extremely informative and very touching indeed.

This morning I decided to watch "Cars". It was on TV and seeing as this little debate is going on I figured it would be a good idea to view the film myself. Based on that film alone, I can honestly say any person who has knocked/continues to knock computer animation is a a complete fool. Bold, I know, but so very true ( ̄ー ̄)ニヤリ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 am
Ask yourself this- are people are knocking a show because it's in CG, or because it's a BAD show in CG?

Like the old comic strip of a big movie mogul mistaking the reason why Titanic became a big hit because "people love sinking boat movies" rather than the fact leaving creative control unfettered to the people who know what they're doing brings in people, Disney's recent abandonment of traditional animation doesn't seem to be an artistic choice, but rather a cheap method to hop on the Pixar bandwagon, because "people love CG cartoon movies".

Pixar movies are good not because of the CG, but because of the storytelling and the creative feel in each of the movies. There aren't 15 unwanted song and dance numbers, It's not another dip into the public domain or there's some references for the adults. They're just good movies.

Seeing the clone wars movie the other day made it clear- I loved the styled designs of the animated series, but the translation of that style into 3d form didn't quite work out and it took a while to get used to, especially Count Dooku's crazy moai head. Thankfully, there was enough in the movie that kept me entertained. Still missed the traditional text crawl though.  

ThiefofHearts

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 pm
You don't have to preach to the converted, this is exactly what I've been trying to explain to everybody. I'm glad I'm not alone in my opinion however.

I don't think it's nice to use the term "Pixar bandwagon", because NOBODY can reproduce what Pixar does. Pixar are more like angels than people (haha). Their films are what they are because they put so much into making each one spectacular. Pixar is run like a true animation studio, and the people who work their believe in making good films.

Disney, on the other hand, is run like a business. They've left making films to Pixar (they only do the marketing and distribuation for Pixar films) because they know they can't make good films anymore. The fired all their hand animators because, as you said, they had the crazy idea that "People only like CG films", without even considering the fact that the reason people didn't watch their recent hand drawn films is because they weren't very good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:19 pm
Aw, I'm sad this debate fizzled out so quickly (T___T) Especially as I've been watching a lot of cartoons and animated films lately (^^;; )  

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

alvhinne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:48 pm
disney's not making animation on movies anymore... all are CGs... i missed the Lion King days... gonk gonk gonk  
T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff