Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Recruiting: D&D 4e Coliseum 2.0 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How many members to a team?
View Results

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 am
Rain Yupa
Arc Vembris
vryloka skald

I take it this is from one of the Essentials supplements, but I have no idea what either of those words mean.

Heroes books are not Essentials supplements, you gotta keep up with the times, old man! Vryloka are a race of humans who made a vampire-pact sorta the way tieflings made a devil-pact. Vryloka are to vampires as Shifters are to werewolves. They are from Heroes of Shadow.

Skald is a new bard build from Heroes of the Feywild. Instead of Majestic Word, they have a Skald's Aura which lets any ally blow their own minor action to get healz. Skald at-wills modify their Cha-based basic melee attacks and charge the aura with different bonus-granting abilities. The powers modify any attack usually, so I can use them with melee or ranged attacks.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 pm
According to Wikipedia, a Skald is a Scandinavian Poet.

User Image  

joe-dude667

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm
Arc Vembris

equipment question: How much is a magic lute that can use Ghost Sound at will and doubles as a longsword sheath?

Erm, well... I cannot find any lutes that grant Ghost Sound and I'm unlikely to 'create' an item for this campaign, even if it only grants a cantrip. The closest thing I can find is a ring that grants Prestidigitation and Ghost Sound, by the name of Magician's Ring, plus it doubles their range but it's a level 14 item and is 21k

=/

As far as using your lute as a sheath, I'm indifferent, as long as it doesn't grant any actual bonuses.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 pm
Virulent Lover
Arc Vembris

equipment question: How much is a magic lute that can use Ghost Sound at will and doubles as a longsword sheath?

Erm, well... I cannot find any lutes that grant Ghost Sound and I'm unlikely to 'create' an item for this campaign, even if it only grants a cantrip. The closest thing I can find is a ring that grants Prestidigitation and Ghost Sound, by the name of Magician's Ring, plus it doubles their range but it's a level 14 item and is 21k

=/

As far as using your lute as a sheath, I'm indifferent, as long as it doesn't grant any actual bonuses.

It does give me a +3 to awesome  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 pm
Arc Vembris

Does it now?

Haha.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:20 pm
Arc Vembris
IRL I played a bard who's instrument was a Cello. His song blade was a longsword on one edge, and a cello bow on the other.

It also let me be awesome as a minor action, at will. cool  

joe-dude667

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:08 pm
Thread name has been updated to an official recruitment page. With any luck, expect to start the campaign some time after the fifth. If we have less than 12 players, we'll be going with 2 man teams. I'm debating rolling with 3 man teams at the 12 man mark, but I'm uncertain. Over 15 players and we'll definitely have 3 man teams. Ideally, I want 4 to 6 teams, to start. Sustaining more take a real effort.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:46 am
Well, won't take me long to make a character once I have a concept find what happened to my PDFs. So you ought to be able to count me in.

I'd sort of prefer to find a team before I make a character though, especially with those limits on team composition.

I would heavily prefer to play a defender or striker, but, eh.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 pm
Psychofish
Well, won't take me long to make a character once I have a concept find what happened to my PDFs. So you ought to be able to count me in.

I'd sort of prefer to find a team before I make a character though, especially with those limits on team composition.

I would heavily prefer to play a defender or striker, but, eh.
I agree on the teams before characters stance. I'd like some semblance of synergy.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 am
If you all want to pair off, feel free to do so. We're looking at ~8 players right now so it'll be two man teams.

If someone has a ton of free time, can you go through the thread and compile everyone's name that has posted interest in a single post. That'd be rather helpful.  

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm
1. Absolute Virtue - Alana, Elf Ranger

2. Arc Vembris - Elzeny Dorgumir, Vryloka Skald

3. joedude667 - Tan-Kus, Half Orc Barbarian

4. Psychofish - No Character

5. Rain Yupa - Melnick Flamborough, Human Wizard Siege Engine

6. Sporkmaster5000 - No Character

Frogmage and Mongooseh have also poked their noses in, but neither actually expressed that they wanted to play.

And Spork, didn't we team up at the end of Rain's game? If double fighter wasn't silly, random, inefficient, and against the rules on class mixing I wouldn't mind doing that again. But regardless, if you want to team up I bet we could come up with a theme or combo easy enough. Or you could suggest a bunch and I'll scramble to recover my PDFs so I can make them.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm
Psychofish
1. Absolute Virtue - Alana, Elf Ranger

2. Arc Vembris - Elzeny Dorgumir, Vryloka Skald

3. joedude667 - Tan-Kus, Half Orc Barbarian

4. Psychofish - No Character

5. Rain Yupa - Melnick Flamborough, Human Wizard Siege Engine

6. Sporkmaster5000 - No Character

Frogmage and Mongooseh have also poked their noses in, but neither actually expressed that they wanted to play.

And Spork, didn't we team up at the end of Rain's game? If double fighter wasn't silly, random, inefficient, and against the rules on class mixing I wouldn't mind doing that again. But regardless, if you want to team up I bet we could come up with a theme or combo easy enough. Or you could suggest a bunch and I'll scramble to recover my PDFs so I can make them.
I'm down with that. and if there weren't a rule against double roles, i'd still be willing to risk the power of TWO FIGHTERS against the world.

as for combos, one of us should probably take the lead. is there any kind of defender you were particularly looking forward to?

my desperate need to have a leader on this two-man suicide mission makes me think something as strikery as kavaki was + an attack-happy warlord could go the distance, but that's just a thought.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 pm
Well, if we did that we'd have to invest in ways to deal with fliers or the like to be really safe- the all martial route is really dangerous, but something like Kavaki (or a battlerager(I think is the term?) equivelant) would certainly be able to lay down hurt and tank his way through things.

If the rules are like Rains where we don't automatically recover surges except when using our rewards on it, there is an incentive to get a striker on the team to pile the damage up and get away safe...

...but, I mean, Kavaki was doing extremely respectable damage, if not striker level, besides all the damage reduction. I'll check and see if any other defenders would benefit as much as a fighter, and if not I wouldn't mind bringing in Kavaki- or a son thereof- as some variant.

I'm honestly not sure what I want to play though. I just got the 3 handbooks back again, not even any of the power books yet. I'm not opposed to playing a fighter again at all. Some other defenders interested me but I'd have to look them up. I do hope to play a striker someday- the only role I've never actually played, despite my high-damage defenders and controller- but... for this my choice of striker would be all about whatever compliments the rest of the team, to get the most out of them, and with a 2-man group I do feel wary of anything squishy.

Someday, rogue-class. Someday.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:22 pm
Psychofish
Well, if we did that we'd have to invest in ways to deal with fliers or the like to be really safe- the all martial route is really dangerous, but something like Kavaki (or a battlerager(I think is the term?) equivelant) would certainly be able to lay down hurt and tank his way through things.

If the rules are like Rains where we don't automatically recover surges except when using our rewards on it, there is an incentive to get a striker on the team to pile the damage up and get away safe...

...but, I mean, Kavaki was doing extremely respectable damage, if not striker level, besides all the damage reduction. I'll check and see if any other defenders would benefit as much as a fighter, and if not I wouldn't mind bringing in Kavaki- or a son thereof- as some variant.

I'm honestly not sure what I want to play though. I just got the 3 handbooks back again, not even any of the power books yet. I'm not opposed to playing a fighter again at all. Some other defenders interested me but I'd have to look them up. I do hope to play a striker someday- the only role I've never actually played, despite my high-damage defenders and controller- but... for this my choice of striker would be all about whatever compliments the rest of the team, to get the most out of them, and with a 2-man group I do feel wary of anything squishy.

Someday, rogue-class. Someday.
warden's get more HP per level than any other class, i forget how many damage reduction type abilities they have, but that might give them some more tankery. if you're worried about range i could go for a heavy armored laser cleric or ranged warlord and pick the biggest shooty thing in the book.

if you wanna try striker, you could do something like a ranger or sorc that's capable of bouncing back and forth between range and melee, and I could go leader or defender to smack heads. i wouldn't advise rogue specifically, just because my experience in brave new world has made me feel like they're really squishy, and needing CA puts them in awkward situations unless you really cheese it up.

or you could be a barb, and we could go with the defender/leader plan like you're a fighter, taking striker damage and loading it up with the biggest thing you can carry to dial that ******** up to 11. Nothing like a goliath or minotaur barreling across the field with a fullblade, with charging and critting pimped out like a mofo.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:06 pm
Barbarians are hilarious, but their rage reliance is at odds with my mindset. I'm the guy who would beat RPGs with 99 potions, hi-potions, and x-potions, all untouched; because I might need them later, better keep them.

But yeah, Rogues.... would prefer a large party. Never a two-man. I look forward to one day trying one.

I might look up the sorcerers and warlocks, whom both seemed like fun, but what I'm most likely to do is pick a defender for the awesome warlock synergy if we can, something that hits like a truck. And while wardens can stand put and survive just about anything, they just don't do that same kind of damage.

Fighters are a favorite of mine for a reason. But I'll put some more thoughts up once I've had a chance to look over the other defender classes.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff