Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
TD'S Journey Through The Bible Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a sinner?
  Why yes.
  Duh.
View Results

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:16 pm
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

Yes, but I don't consider helping some one out of a well or whatever work. I consider going into the office and trying to finish that report or whatever, school work, farm work, house work, etc. work that would break the Sabbath Day...Doing good deeds and the things that Christ has requested isn't breaking the Sabbath Day. We're not supposed to just sit idle. Christ doesn't approve of that either.

Well things that considered effort back then were obviously considered work. Healing, helping people out of the well, and some other thing I think..... And people work for living. Saying don't do work is like saying don't breathe. Also, if someone forgets to do their hw or had to go to a worship service on Saturday AND Friday, devoting all there time to God? What then? Say you were keeping the Sabbath? How can you fail hw or go bankrupt to the glory of God (I Cor. 10:31). I think you may be misinterpreting when Jesus said keep the Sabbath holy.

Well keeping the Sabbath day holy is a lot more than just sitting in church for an hour on Sundays. I am not misinterpreting it. Christ said to keep it holy and He means keep it holy. I am also going off what I was taught. This is what keeping the Sabbath day is about.

I don't think "breaking bread" is exactly refferring to the Sabbath...it could be referring to communion.

And when do you partake of the sacrament? On the Sabbath. But I don't see what your response has to do with the link I posted?

The thing said something about breaking of bread....well the verse it had included that part at least. And sometimes I take communion on Saturdays. I don't think the particular day matters, honestly. As long as it's done then I think it's ok.

Ah I see. I skimmed over my link again, so now I know what you're talking about. I do agree with you that the day we celebrate the Sabbath doesn't matter just because God never told us to celebrate it on Monday, Saturday or whatever. He just said the 7th day is the day of rest and 6 days we're to do work. So for some people their 7th day maybe on Monday or Tuesday or whenever.

In my Church we partake of the sacrament every Sunday and we observe the Sabbath on Sundays as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:16 pm
User Image

Studying
Genesis 41:17 - 42:17
Matthew 13:14-46
Psalm 18:-15
Proverbs 4:1-6

No questions. =)

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:05 am
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

Well keeping the Sabbath day holy is a lot more than just sitting in church for an hour on Sundays. I am not misinterpreting it. Christ said to keep it holy and He means keep it holy. I am also going off what I was taught. This is what keeping the Sabbath day is about.

I don't think "breaking bread" is exactly refferring to the Sabbath...it could be referring to communion.

And when do you partake of the sacrament? On the Sabbath. But I don't see what your response has to do with the link I posted?

The thing said something about breaking of bread....well the verse it had included that part at least. And sometimes I take communion on Saturdays. I don't think the particular day matters, honestly. As long as it's done then I think it's ok.

Ah I see. I skimmed over my link again, so now I know what you're talking about. I do agree with you that the day we celebrate the Sabbath doesn't matter just because God never told us to celebrate it on Monday, Saturday or whatever. He just said the 7th day is the day of rest and 6 days we're to do work. So for some people their 7th day maybe on Monday or Tuesday or whenever.

In my Church we partake of the sacrament every Sunday and we observe the Sabbath on Sundays as well.

Sorry about the late reply. I forgot where these comments were so...yeah. XD Anyway...

John 5:10, 16-18

Now that day was the Sabbath, so the Jews said to the man who had been healed, "This is the Sabbath! It's illegal for you to pick up your mat."

Therefore, the Jews began persecuting Jesus because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus responded to them, "My Father is still working, and I am working also." This is why the Jews began trying all the more to kill Him: Not only because He was breaking the Sabbath, but because He was even calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

I think this shows how you can still do work on the Sabbath. And somethings are still mandatory like homework or doing work at jobs for payment and for getting into colleges.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 am
I think there are exceptions that can be made, but we should avoid doing work on the Sabbath. And I already stated in one of my posts that there are things that don't really count as "work". Here is what I said:
Quote:
Doing good deeds and the things that Christ has requested isn't breaking the Sabbath Day. We're not supposed to just sit idle. Christ doesn't approve of that either.

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Azkeel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:22 am
Every "Day" is the Sabbath now to keep Holy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 am
I disagree because if that were the case, then Christ wouldn't have reitterated the importance of keeping the Sabbath holy and would have stated some thing about making every day the Sabbath, which He didn't do.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Azkeel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:07 pm
You have to realize the Messiah is our rest.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm
Shadows-shine
I think there are exceptions that can be made, but we should avoid doing work on the Sabbath. And I already stated in one of my posts that there are things that don't really count as "work". Here is what I said:
Quote:
Doing good deeds and the things that Christ has requested isn't breaking the Sabbath Day. We're not supposed to just sit idle. Christ doesn't approve of that either.

Work is still work. And Jesus did not acknowledge His good works as an excuse for breaking the Sabbath. He was not vague with His explanations. He would have said if His works were an excuse, but He did not. He healed. And the man picked up his mat and walked. That doesn't help anyone. And the Pharisees said he was breaking the Sabbath. Yet he was not wrong in his doing. And the work God does. He does work everyday. And if He is doing work everyday, isn't He breaking the Sabbath as well? Jesus didn't say "But nonetheless, the Lord's work is beneficial for all mankind and therefore is exempt from keeping the Sabbath." He said He is always doing work. And the Bible says He was breaking the Sabbath, and notice that it gave no exemption for God's work either.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:48 pm
Azkeel
You have to realize the Messiah is our rest.

And where does it say that in Scripture?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 pm
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
Quote:

Work is still work. And Jesus did not acknowledge His good works as an excuse for breaking the Sabbath. He was not vague with His explanations. He would have said if His works were an excuse, but He did not. He healed. And the man picked up his mat and walked. That doesn't help anyone. And the Pharisees said he was breaking the Sabbath. Yet he was not wrong in his doing. And the work God does. He does work everyday. And if He is doing work everyday, isn't He breaking the Sabbath as well? Jesus didn't say "But nonetheless, the Lord's work is beneficial for all mankind and therefore is exempt from keeping the Sabbath." He said He is always doing work. And the Bible says He was breaking the Sabbath, and notice that it gave no exemption for God's work either.

Wrong, the Pharisees said Christ was breaking the Sabbath. Since when was their word law, especially since Christ repeatedly rebuked them in what they were teaching and saying.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:48 pm
They said things based upon the law, but hey didn't obey it, themselves. That's why Jesus constantly rebuked them for being hypocrites. So they knew the law, they just didn't follow it.
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
Quote:

Wrong, the Pharisees said Christ was breaking the Sabbath. Since when was their word law, especially since Christ repeatedly rebuked them in what they were teaching and saying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:01 pm
They also tried to make the law more liberal and more strict than what it really was.

Quote:
Pharisees.

A religious party among the Jews. The name denotes separatists. They prided themselves on their strict observance of the law, and on the care with which they avoided contact with things gentile. Their belief included the doctrine of immortality and resurrection of the body and the existence of angels and spirits. They upheld the authority of oral tradition as of equal value with the written law. The tendency of their teaching was to reduce religion to the observance of a multiplicity of ceremonial rules, and to encourage self-sufficiency and spiritual pride. They were a major obstacle to the reception of Christ and the gospel by the Jewish people. For the Lord’s judgment on them and their works see Matt. 23; Mark 7; Luke 11:37–54.

That is why they attacked Christ about healing the Sabbath. (bolded portion.)  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 pm
Nonetheless, The Bible still says that Jesus broke the Sabbath. The Pharisees got on the guy carrying the mat during the Sabbath. The Bible said Jesus did break the Sabbath.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 pm
User Image

Wow there is a lot of debate over this.

XD

On Sundays I go to church and I don't work and i try to not ever work on Sunday.
But if i get called in I wont have a choice.
But if i can avoid it I will.

I have always seen Sunday as a day of rest for me.
I don't even work out. XD

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers