Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Q & A Thread: Questions Answered Here Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:18 pm
The shaman's spirit is a Conjuration, and as such, follows the rules for Conjurations conveniently found on p.220 of PHB2.

But as an immediate answer to your specific question, it has the same defenses as you.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:26 pm
Thanks Rain.

Next question: is there a difference between the "Sudden Call" feat[pg. 142 P. Power] and the "Nimble Spirit" feat[pg. 191 PHB2]?  

Saccharine Venom

Sugary Giver

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:29 pm
Mercenary of Chaos
Thanks Rain.

Next question: is there a difference between the "Sudden Call" feat[pg. 142 P. Power] and the "Nimble Spirit" feat[pg. 191 PHB2]?
sudden call has been eratta'd to be once per encounter.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:50 pm
Okay, that makes more sense.  

Saccharine Venom

Sugary Giver

Dame Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 am
So, when a subforum talks about a point buy system (Merc's), is that system related specifically to that subforum, or is it universal? For instance, on the D&D character creator, it mentions a point buy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 am
Dame Alex
So, when a subforum talks about a point buy system (Merc's), is that system related specifically to that subforum, or is it universal? For instance, on the D&D character creator, it mentions a point buy.

4e has an optional point-buy system, covered on p.17 of the Player's Handbook. smile  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:30 pm
Also, each game has rules specific to their campaign. Some might be part of the base system, others might have modified it, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 pm
Okay, thanks. I actually don't have the player's handbook for 4e, but I'm trying to learn version 4's rules. It helps to have a version 4 character creator, though.  

Dame Alex

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 pm
Point buy works as follows:

You start with the following scores: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8.

You have 22 points to spend. Bringing 8 to 9 is one point, 8 to 10 is two points. You must bring the 8 to 10 before you can increase it further.

From there...

11 costs one point
12 costs two points
13 costs three points
14 costs five points
15 costs seven points
16 costs nine points
17 costs twelve points
18 costs sixteen points

The "standard array" is a sample point buy given as a recommended stat spread. It is as follows: 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10. Use that as a base-line comparison to see how well you rolled in MW!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:47 pm
Cool! Thanks for the advice, that really helped. I think I'll stick with my rolls then. smile  

Dame Alex

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:50 pm
I have a couple of questions, if any members would be so kind to answer them, both relating to D&D 4th.

1) when you run, you have a -5 penalty to attacks rolls 'til the end of your next turn. If I substitute a Standard action to run twice in one turn, is the -5 cumulative? Or do I keep only one -5?

1) Certain powers give you bonuses like rerolling a skill, like the Deva's racial power. The power, however, is an Encounter power. How does it work if I'm outside an encounter? Can I only use the power once every short rest?

Thanks in advance.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:32 pm
I would say its a straight -5, no matter how many actions you're taking. It's to reflect the difficulty of aiming while trying to run.

It's like saying using power attack twice in one turn (due to an action point) has a cumulative penalty, because you're swinging it hard, twice.

Generally, penalties from the same source don't stack, like bonuses don't. Running is a source, so no matter how much you run, you're at -5.

----------------

How encounter skill powers work is kind of up to the DM. TECHNICALLY, if you're not in combat and not under duress, I imagine you can use said skill-related power every 5 minutes. Some DMs might do once per scene, as well.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:37 pm
Rain Yupa
I would say its a straight -5, no matter how many actions you're taking. It's to reflect the difficulty of aiming while trying to run.

It's like saying using power attack twice in one turn (due to an action point) has a cumulative penalty, because you're swinging it hard, twice.

Generally, penalties from the same source don't stack, like bonuses don't. Running is a source, so no matter how much you run, you're at -5.

----------------

How encounter skill powers work is kind of up to the DM. TECHNICALLY, if you're not in combat and not under duress, I imagine you can use said skill-related power every 5 minutes. Some DMs might do once per scene, as well.
Thanks a lot for the answers, Rain.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:35 pm
I know this is a dungeons and dragons guild, but does anyone know of a good d6 system game, preferably something free.

My local gaming store was forced to close it's doors. And worse than that a friend of mine moved away taking my dice. (I am starting to wonder if she was really my friend.) The other members of my group used my dice for the games, but now no dice no games.

I was wondering about D6 games cause every store in my area seems to carry 6 sided dice.  

Alzzak

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 pm
I'm not sure about free (though I'm sure you can find someplace on the internet to get the pdfs; they might even BE free at this point), but a d6 system I really enjoyed was In Nomine. It's a game where the world is unaware of an ancient war being fought in their midst; a war of the heavenly host vs the infernal legions. Angels and demons, disguised as our fellow man.

You play as one such angel or demon (depending on how the storyteller is running it), or possibly a regular human mortal if you guys want it to be one of those games. You have your corporeal host, which looks like a regular ol' human. You can even perform somewhat miraculous events (called Songs), which are rather unnoticeable by mortals unless they are directly observing them, but both angels AND demons can hear them (they create a disturbance in the Symphony), and can lure them to your location (and you really have no say WHO will show up, or what their motives will be).

There's a number of Choirs (for angels) and Bands (for demons) you can be, which allow you to do some pretty neat stuff, usually most useful when dealing with mortals. Then, depending on who your superior is, depending on which Archangel (for angels) or Demon Princes (bet you can't guess who serve them!), you get a little extra cool trick for your Choir/Band. Each Superior has different rites which you can perform once per day to regain Essence, which is the divine mojo which all supernatural creatures need to do anything... well, supernatural! (Mortals have a LITTLE bit of essence, but are for the most part incapable of using it).

The way the dice roll system works, is a d666 system. You roll 3 dice (one preferably differently marked or colored than the rest). The first two are your actual roll, and the third is your Check Digit (your degree of success). You have to roll below the required attribute + skill. So to make an acrobatics check, you need to roll below your Agility (say, 6) and your Acrobatics skill (say, 3). 9 or less on 2d6. The Check digit depends on your degree of success. So someone who succeeds with a 1 BARELY manages to accomplish their intended check, while the 6 would get high scores from any Olympic judge!

A neat thing about this system, is Divine Intervention (111) and Diabolic Intervention (666). If you roll the intervention for your side (divine for angels, diabolic for demons), it's your "critical hit". Something so impressive happens by chance that benefits your side (or possibly, just you by yourself), its like a minor plot detour to tell you how awesome you are. If you roll the intervention for the opposite site (diabolic for angels, divine for demons), the pooch gets royally screwed, and your best-laid plans are now for naught. The forces of the opposite side have conspired against you and ruined your day, and possibly your existence.

As an angel, I once rolled 666 while trying to pursue an escaping demon who vanished off to hell to avoid getting soul-killed (the end of its permanent existence). I ended up in the lair of the Demon Prince of Fire, Belial. Whoops! I barely avoided getting soul-killed myself, probably from Belial laughing too hard as my angel wet himself before running away with his proverbial tail between his legs.

Its an awesomely fun game and really creative system. I strongly recommend it at least giving it a shot and seeing how the group likes it smile

P.S. Sorry if this comes too late to do you any good. With my ill-timed vacation, I didn't notice this post until just now, a good week after I got back sweatdrop  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff