Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.
What's YOUR Opinion On The Disney Anime? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:07 am
Hmmmm, the only thing I see in VHS form is Alice in Wonderland...ooh, and there's Cardcaptors: The Movie XDD  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:09 am
I watched Alice in Wonderland not long ago!!! xD I had this weird urge to watch it.

CARDCAPTORS YAAAAAAY!!!!! =D

Undignified Indiana Joans
Crew

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:15 am
Haha, so did I (o__O) That's why it's on my shelf instead of in hibernation with the other VHS films.

Oooh, the Cardcaptor movie comes with a free holographic sticker!! It was still inside \(^∀^)メ(^∀^)ノ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:25 am
Hahaa =p

And AWESOMEEEE

MerMer has the original staff, the sealing wand. I should run around the house and chase perv Mr. Cat with it surprised

Crew

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:35 am
Hahaha, that's so cute!! I always wanted Sakura's accessories when I was younger...still do XD

I'm gonna take off now, cos I've got a splitting headache. Speak to you soon <3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am
Hehehe, I want them too x3

Awww, sleep well darling! I hope you feel betterrr <333

Crew

Nakano Broadway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:41 pm
Cheremy LeBeau
Disney want to expand to the Japanese market, and who can blame them? Disney anime will probably end up becoming popular across Asia, so their profits are sure to soar. They've pretty much left it to the Japanese to produce high quality anime and slap their logo on it. CG or not, they aim to do a good job. I really don't see why people believe CG requires less skill or effort than drawing either.

I'd like to have a stronger opinion on the decline in the quality of Disney's animated films, but over the course of the 2000's I've become too old to watch them. The Incredibles (which was co-produced with Pixar) was the last animated Disney film I saw at the cinema; I thought the animation was great and the jokes were quite funny, and I could certainly see its appeal to children. Since then, Ratatouille came out and won an Oscar (I didn't see it, but I assume it must have been a good film), Cars got great reviews, and Enchanted, which features some animated elements, was highly acclaimed too. From that, I can only assume Disney are still making great films. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Disney are simply moving with the times. Why shouldn't the world's biggest producer of animated kid's films move on to the next generation of technology? Someone has to. Sure, pre-1995 we enjoyed a cerain style of animation, but now it's time to adopt a brand new style. Cartoons were once black and white, now they're being made on computers. To be honest, I'm leaving it to the current generation of kids to decide what makes a good kid's film.

It's certainly not that CG takes less effort than drawing, it's just that these days many American movie companies are doing everything in CG without thinking about the alternative, seemingly with the assumption that CG itself makes even the most plotless drivel entertaining. So in that respect, it's easy to see why a lot of CG is considered lazy - not because of the animation, but because of the lack of plot.

Well, the distinction here is that Disney actually produces some CG films, and others it just slaps its label on. The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Cars were all actually created by Pixar, but released in partnership with Disney. Disney's CG films themselves, like "Meet the Robinsons," are just not very good. So in this respect, if the anime are actually made by Japanese companies, I suppose they could be just as good as any current anime.

Enchanted used mostly traditional animation, which I think is actually a very good argument for Disney to take a step back into that style, because yeah it was cool.

Of course kids will ultimately decide the fate of all animation ventures, since they are the primary market. But that doesn't mean that the rest of our opinions aren't valid, and I for one think it would be a shame to lose classic Disney just for the sake of riding the wave of popularity.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:44 am
The Adventures of The Gummie Bears in Anime Land!!!!

xD

I would pay to see that.  

0_o-Khashoggi-o_0

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:47 am
Hanajima Arashi
It's certainly not that CG takes less effort than drawing, it's just that these days many American movie companies are doing everything in CG without thinking about the alternative, seemingly with the assumption that CG itself makes even the most plotless drivel entertaining. So in that respect, it's easy to see why a lot of CG is considered lazy - not because of the animation, but because of the lack of plot.

Well, the distinction here is that Disney actually produces some CG films, and others it just slaps its label on. The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Cars were all actually created by Pixar, but released in partnership with Disney. Disney's CG films themselves, like "Meet the Robinsons," are just not very good. So in this respect, if the anime are actually made by Japanese companies, I suppose they could be just as good as any current anime.

Enchanted used mostly traditional animation, which I think is actually a very good argument for Disney to take a step back into that style, because yeah it was cool.

Of course kids will ultimately decide the fate of all animation ventures, since they are the primary market. But that doesn't mean that the rest of our opinions aren't valid, and I for one think it would be a shame to lose classic Disney just for the sake of riding the wave of popularity.

You're completely generalising CG films. Not all CG films have bad plots, the same as not all hand drawn films have good plots. Would you be knocking the films less if they were hand drawn? Plot and animation style are worlds apart, so I don't think you can contribute that argument to the effort put into CG. I reckon you should blame bad plots on the writers.

Again, you can't take credit from Disney based on who they work with. I agree entirely that Pixar is a better animation studio, but they've been a subsidiary of Disney since 2006, so there's litterally no distinction. It's like discrediting Ralph Lauren or Topshop because they hire designers, that's how business works. Oh, but I'll take your word for "Meet the Robinsons", because I've never even heard of it. Hehe.

Finally, as much as I agree that our opinions are important, I don't think we have the right to demand Disney remain in the animation stone age for the sake of prolonging our nostalgic childhood pleasure. "Classic" Disney is aptly named because it's an archaic form that current Disney will never return to. If Disney didn't attempt to raise their popularily, they'd eventually go out of business. They must cater for the broader market. If we don't fall into that sector, there are tons of other animated films for us to enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:56 am
Hmmm, I don't think Disney will do so bad. They did make the movie "Mulan", which in my opinion was fantastic. The only thing im kinda worried about is how the characters are going to look. Hopefully the characters wont look too western.  

Oh-Glory-Riots

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:55 am
Oh-Glory-Riots
Hmmm, I don't think Disney will do so bad. They did make the movie "Mulan", which in my opinion was fantastic. The only thing im kinda worried about is how the characters are going to look. Hopefully the characters wont look too western.

Mulan was such a great film (^o^) It's one of my favourites by Disney.
As for how the characters are going to look, I don't think you need to worry; they're being made in Japan by Japanese animators :3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:56 am
L u c y y y_x

Some of you may know
Some of you may not

Disney are making an anime film

I'm not sure what I think about this
I doubt it will be that great
But you never know

What do you all think?

Not to sound snobbish over terminology, but Disney has always made "anime"- that is "cartoons". Are you making mention of the Japanese overhauled Lilo and Stitch cartoon, or the "Princess and the Frog" movie that goes back to traditional animation (and hopefully, good storytelling)?  

ThiefofHearts

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:42 am
I made an earlier post discussing the anime projects Disney have lined up. Oh, and do try harder not to sound snobbish over terminology; elitists aren't welcome at this guild :/  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:01 am
User Image

Doesn't Disney produce all of Hayao Miyazaki films when they come to theaters? So...wouldn't that make those Disney animes? xD

User Image

MaskedPhantom

Hunter

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:20 am
Theoretically yes, but I think this is more referring to Disney coming up with the storyline etc. and sponsoring it from the get-go. I think. I'm not really sure. ^^;  
T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff