Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kiddo Seanchain

Shirtless Heckler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:48 am
Sirenstoy
Kiddo the fox-phoenix
So is anyone here into quiet bardic, the storytelling aspects of bardic tradition? I can't sing worth a darn but I can tell stories. Not just the traditional Beowulf everyone knows (altough at my first event I did tell of how Beowulf died fighting the dragon but that bardic circle needed something exciting and I was winging the entire thing so I had to chose something I knew well) but the more obscure stuff like, "the princess in the coffin" and "Jack my hedgehog".

I'd be glad to recite some if you're interested, my story changes each time I tell it though as I don't have it memorized verbatum, just enough to make up words as I go.

Yes, I , for one, am into story telling and poetic reveries. I'm slowly learning stories for our barony's Samhain celebration event... hopefully I'll take title bard.... Gotta do story, song, and poem.... and I need a good poem. Any help?

I've never been too big into poetry. The only poet I'm a fan of is William Butler Yeats as he did some stuff inspired by Irish myth and fairytales but he's late 1800's early 1900's. crying Tennyson did a gorgeous poem on Authorian legend, but again, he's too modern.

St. John of the Cross was a 1500's poet who did some good stuff. The Dark Night is a rather interesting one, and Loreena McKennit did a song based off of it.

And of course - Shakespeare. He did gobs upon gobs of sonnets, including one dedicated to a prostitute. I should find that one again. Sonnets are fairly easy to memorize as well as they aren't very long and have a very rigid structure to set the flow.

Two years of a creative writing minor. Yeeeeeeah. I adore the old poets as I detest being force-fed the modern trash. Stupid mandatory weekly readings of angsty college students pining for their girlfriend and talking about sex because it's all the rage apparently. rolleyes

A note on reading poetry. Do NOT follow line breaks. Follow punctuation. Every comma, dash, whatever, is in there for a reason. Flow is what makes poetry poetry. Don't ever read sing-song. And please, don't ever read it monotone or in that stupid dreary "I'm so depressed" voice some poets think they need to have.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:56 am
Arithrel
I love that song, Llelwyn! It's quite popular in my barony.
I don't think it's performed that often in mine! It was so strange! And I sang this song called "The Blacksmith" off of Please to See the King by Steeleye Span that the Laurel level bard hadn't heard of. It was odd, I thought everyone bardicy knew about Steeleye Span!  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Your Night Surgeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:33 am
Kiddo the fox-phoenix
Sirenstoy
Kiddo the fox-phoenix
So is anyone here into quiet bardic, the storytelling aspects of bardic tradition? I can't sing worth a darn but I can tell stories. Not just the traditional Beowulf everyone knows (altough at my first event I did tell of how Beowulf died fighting the dragon but that bardic circle needed something exciting and I was winging the entire thing so I had to chose something I knew well) but the more obscure stuff like, "the princess in the coffin" and "Jack my hedgehog".

I'd be glad to recite some if you're interested, my story changes each time I tell it though as I don't have it memorized verbatum, just enough to make up words as I go.

Yes, I , for one, am into story telling and poetic reveries. I'm slowly learning stories for our barony's Samhain celebration event... hopefully I'll take title bard.... Gotta do story, song, and poem.... and I need a good poem. Any help?

I've never been too big into poetry. The only poet I'm a fan of is William Butler Yeats as he did some stuff inspired by Irish myth and fairytales but he's late 1800's early 1900's. crying Tennyson did a gorgeous poem on Authorian legend, but again, he's too modern.

St. John of the Cross was a 1500's poet who did some good stuff. The Dark Night is a rather interesting one, and Loreena McKennit did a song based off of it.

And of course - Shakespeare. He did gobs upon gobs of sonnets, including one dedicated to a prostitute. I should find that one again. Sonnets are fairly easy to memorize as well as they aren't very long and have a very rigid structure to set the flow.

Two years of a creative writing minor. Yeeeeeeah. I adore the old poets as I detest being force-fed the modern trash. Stupid mandatory weekly readings of angsty college students pining for their girlfriend and talking about sex because it's all the rage apparently. rolleyes

A note on reading poetry. Do NOT follow line breaks. Follow punctuation. Every comma, dash, whatever, is in there for a reason. Flow is what makes poetry poetry. Don't ever read sing-song. And please, don't ever read it monotone or in that stupid dreary "I'm so depressed" voice some poets think they need to have.

Thanks so much, this is gonna help greatly!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:29 am
THE LADIES IN THE SCA
(c) copyright 1993 W.J. Bethancourt III
(Tune: "Female Of The Species")

Now the deadly widow spider eats the mate that doesn't flee
As does the preying mantis if she's courted carelessly
Don't be fooled by fragile beauty, for thereby hangs my tale:
That the ladies in the SCA are deadly as the male!

Now, you'll see a lovely lady with a cord of black and red
Court her gingerly and carefully, or else you'll wind up dead!
Don't muck about with Mongols, you're better off in jail!
For the ladies in the SCA are deadly as the male!

Now those frail and frivolous ladies that are with the Cavaliers
Don't be fooled by mere appearance, all is not as it appears
For they carry bodice-daggers in those frills and farthingales!

In the desert lands of Aten, over all the country-side
Grows a lovely desert flower, worn with fighting female pride
It's the oleander blossom, white as snow and deathly pale!

See that sweet and fragile lady, see that lissome little miss
Treads the dance with grace and beauty, drops a curtsey, trades a kiss...
And she also puts on armor, lays about with shield and flail!

There are sharp and shining sabres, there are Viking axes bright,
There are bodice-knives and hatpins, there is poison in the night
But their tongue's their sharpest weapon, over that you can't prevail

Courtesan Brigitte

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:39 am
THE ATENVELDT INVASION
(Tune: "Young Folks, Old Folks")
(c) 1991 W.J.Bethancourt III

C G7
CHORUS: Young folks, old folks, every man and each
C C7
Come see the Atenveldter, landed on the beach!
F C
He's not wearing any clothes, and covered all with hair
G C
And worse than that, he isn't wearing any underwear!

Once upon a time, in a Kingdom far away
A ship was wrecked in Calafia's bay
It sank right down, men and mast and sail
And only the ship's monkey lived to tell the tale!

The monkey came ashore and wandered all around
Wandered thru the valleys, wandered thru the town
Then it came to a revel hall more dead than alive
And the Caidan's thought an invasion had arrived!

CHORUS

The crowd screamed and scrambled, caught by surprise
Climbing the curtains, putting pillows o'er their eyes
Cried a willowy Laurel, with a cry that was heart-felt:
"He's big and strong and hairy, he must be from Atenveldt!"

"He's not wearing any clothes, whatever can it mean?"
"It's the rudest thing that I have ever seen!"
A Duchess said to the Kingdom Castellan:
"You can tell he's not Caidan: No Elizabeth-i-ans!" //Humpf!//

CHORUS

The whole crowd was terrified, petrified with fear,
That the Atenveldt invasion finally was here.
"God help the Kingdom!" "Save us from this fate!"
"Run away and hide ourselves before it is too late!"

The monkey saw the revel feast and jumped for the food
With no table manners; he was really rather rude!
The crowd gasped with horror at the awful sight:
"He eats with both hands! He's an Atenveldter Knight!"

CHORUS

The monkey ambled 'round, all tired, stiff and sore;
All the Caidans scrambled for the door!
The politics got heavy and the rumor spread around
"The Atenveldter's gonna be a-fighting for the Crown!"

But then the revel hall got quiet as could be
When up cried the Seneshal, "Can't you plainly see?"
"Hide your wives and daughters and prepare for fire and sword!"
"It's not an Atenveldter, it's a member of the Horde!" //Eek!//

CHORUS (twice)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:01 am
Well, I didn't take baronial bard... no big deal. However, in the tribal competition ( of which, I was in three contests. Caber toss, Bardic, and the Melees) My composition "The Raging Buffalo" took the prize.

We were to write a piece over the outcome of the melees that morning. Well, no better place to learn of them than being IN them. So I took off to write immediately after removing my armor. I tell ya, that was fun!

We were left in the dark for the whole day, then they announced that the tribe called Eldern had won. We had nearly tied in contests. Archery:them, Caber toss:them ( by 14 knots), Spear Throw:UsMelee:Us, Relay race: Us... and finally Bardic: us!

If they had won bardic, they'd have tied. But apparently, our last minute bard ( me) was better than their last minute bard ( their chief).  

Your Night Surgeon

SashaRavensorrow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:52 pm
Arithrel
Oh man, I really want to post my favourite bardic song, because it's beautiful, but I can't! The person who wrote it (I have no idea who that is) decided that it could be sung freely at any event by anyone, but the gentle didn't want it written down. I believe it was an experiment to see how it would last/change over time but I don't know for sure. It's a wonderful song, though. It's called "Born on the Listfield" if anyone has heard it.

That has got to be one of my favorite bardic songs! Well next to Barret's Privateers and a song I can't remember the name of.

The chorus goes:
Way hey Stormy
Walk him along
John carry him along
Way hey Stormy
Carry him to his
burrien grounds

Edit:
Also we have a thing with our bardic cirlcles in Midhaven where you must "Pick, pass, or play." A stick is passed around the entire bardic cirlce so that when you get it you must do one of the three.
Pick: Pick someone you know and ask them to sing a song or recite a story, etc.
Pass: You can pass the stick once, you don't have to do anything.
Play: Recite a poem, sing a song, tell a story, etc.
This lets everyone get involved instead of two or three people always holding the spotlight. I think it's great but I'd rather listen to everyone else than recite something. ((personaly))

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:31 pm
Sasha, we do that too! At events where there's big bardics, anyways...small bardics just kind of figure themselves out. I like Barret's Privateers, too.

Brigit, I love those songs! They're so great. smile

Sirenstoy, congrats on winning the bardic piece! Too bad about Baronial Bard, but hey, there's always next time!  

Arithrel
Crew

SashaRavensorrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:58 pm
Arithrel
Sasha, we do that too! At events where there's big bardics, anyways...small bardics just kind of figure themselves out. I like Barret's Privateers, too.

Sirenstoy, congrats on winning the bardic piece! Too bad about Baronial Bard, but hey, there's always next time!

Awesome! I hadn't heard of any other place that did that as well. *wonders what she's going to do for the bardic tomorrow*  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:13 am
SashaRavensorrow
Arithrel

Awesome! I hadn't heard of any other place that did that as well. *wonders what she's going to do for the bardic tomorrow*

Thanks for the congrats! I'm not so great at the bardic thing, but I try. The lass who took it won due to talent. And the fact that she can write her own songs... I have a horrible lack of that ability...heh...

Pick, pass, or play, eh? That's something I'll implore the local brass hats to employ next time...

Barrett's Privateers?! I love that tune! Been a few times that I've lead the circle through that one. But 'Come out you Black and Tans' goes over far better... mostly because we like to call out the english in our barony... We're mostly scottish, irish, norse, etc....  

Your Night Surgeon

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:37 am
Sirenstoy

Thanks for the congrats! I'm not so great at the bardic thing, but I try. The lass who took it won due to talent. And the fact that she can write her own songs... I have a horrible lack of that ability...heh...

Pick, pass, or play, eh? That's something I'll implore the local brass hats to employ next time...

Barrett's Privateers?! I love that tune! Been a few times that I've lead the circle through that one. But 'Come out you Black and Tans' goes over far better... mostly because we like to call out the english in our barony... We're mostly scottish, irish, norse, etc....

Hmm, I've never heard that one!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:21 am
Arithrel
Sirenstoy

Hmm, I've never heard that one!

Here, have the Cantaria Link!

Come out ye Blacks and Tans  

Your Night Surgeon

Artemis12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:34 pm
hmm... here are a few..

"The black swan rising"
"cruel sister"
"sweet nellie may"
"black widows in the privies"
"lets go pike a knight"