Submit

monty python?
  yes
  no
  duct tape. : >)
View Results

CassiusD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:45 am
On the matter of fencing, I have heard heavy fighters go on and on about how they're out in such heavy armor in comparison to fencers. They rarely seem to consider the fact that fencers are wearing the equivelant of four layers of canvas. The heavy fighter has more weight on them but guess who is generally hotter when fighting outdoors in 90 degree weather. It was much easier for me to keep going on hot days when I did heavy, fencing gear is just brutal in the summer.

Also for me at least it was far easier authorizing in heavy then in fencing. Thrusts require far more control when the goal is only to the touch rather then a punching blow like in heavy. Blow calibration is much more forgiving with heavy thrusts then with fencing, there's a larger acceptable range of force.

They are two different games, each with advantages and disadvantages. Those who claim that one is harder then the other are just showing ignorance of the other fighting style.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:47 am
Snaebjorn
[Shall.We.Blaspheme]
Hahaha. Caid.

As an Atlantian, (See "Heavy Fighter", "Thug", "Make go Crunch") all I've really known is heavy fighting. I choose not to participate in rapier combat because I don't find it to be as... I want to say skillful, as actual fencing. My father was a fencer and apparently, in proper fencing, there is a riposte for every attack. I can certainly see a high level of professionalism and respect in that sport, it sounds a lot like Chess, in that everyone gets the same pieces but has to think ahead of the opponent.

Whereas, from what I've seen from Atlantian rapier fighters, it is just as it sounds. Swishity pokity. Skinny fellas and girls in floppy hats and puffy shirts, cavaliers set somewhere around 1600, or 1650 in some places.

What burns me up, are the rapier fighters who want the same awards the heavy fighters get. The day I see a white belt on a swashbuckler, I'm selling all my armor. I don't know alot about rapier fighting, but I know heavy, and heavy requires stances, ample footwork, agility, strength, accuracy, and stamina. Occasionally, I get hit with a rattan sword in my bare skin. Fortunately, being a larger gentleman, I can shrug off a hit -directly- to the bone.

Everything rapier fighters do, we have to do in heavier gear. And you get much more momentum with the heavier weapons, so you have to maintain higher control with a polearm or two hander as opposed to a Schlager.

Im not saying rapier fighters are inferior, and there are those with whom I maintain close friendships, it is simply a matter of choice - and respect. Fencing is skirting the edges of a stray thread in the fabric of period play.

Ok. First of all. One of the people who led the charge for fencing in the East kingdom is Morguhn Sheridan. He has his white scarf. He also has strawberry leaves 4 times over, a gold chain and a white belt.

Everything you do in heavy combat is the same as Rapier. Only you're slower, less accurate 8 times out of 10 and your weapons are only 1/2-3/4 the weight of a schlager.

A pole arm may build more momentum but it has very little to do with the weight. It has to do with the length. Anything 5-7 feet long is going to build more momentum at the tip then something 3 feet long. Period. Thats simple physics.

If a rattan weapon breaks your opponent generally just shrugs and you change weapons. If a rapier breaks and it isn't noticed you could have a serious injury on your hands.

I've seen fencers play a game called Quarters. They tape quarters to their armour in places and those are the only valid targets. Its used to increase point control.

Bending 14 gauge steel may take alot of strength but it takes no finesse. Hitting a quarter on a target that can bend a twist more ways then you can imagine while wrapped up in heavy armour takes alot more control and speed then you can imagine.

Every single heavy fighter I know that is counted as one of the best in the kingdom of Aethelmearc either still fights or has fought rapier in the past to learn better point control, better foot work, and more finesse in their general sword work.

The common consensus is that the only way to get better foot work then rapier combat is to dance.

In service,
Lord Snaebjorn Hakonarson
ocassionaly heavy fighter

Actually, I must agree with Snaebjorn. I have many friends who do all forms of combat, boffer, rapier, heavy, and many friends who do all three, and every one of them says that each has its ups and downs and likes and dislikes. I do have to admit that when it comes to rapier, you learn alot about skill and moving. So far, learning how to play with the "pretty pokies" has taught me and my friends much and has improved both our boffer and heavy fighting game.
3nodding

~Master Elexi Stormcrow
~Commander of the Drakkenguard  

Chibbi_Satan

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:55 pm
Chibbi_Satan
Llelwyn
Duct tape: Wrapping weapons, keeping your armor on, making sure your bumper doesn't fall off your car on the way to an event, making patterns for garb that's supposed to be fitted... the possibilities are endless.

And has anyone seen the documentation? I've heard that duct tape is period. wink

Duct tape itself is not period, but there was a type of substance that was used in mideval times where the used to take cloth strips and dip them in a sticky and gooey adhesive and use them much the same way. I think it was made of tar...
It was mostly used for repairing canvas and large cloth items.

Except in An Tir *giggles*  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:37 pm
On a side note since this thread also has duct tape in the title I have to point out something. Despite its name duct tape should never be used in duct work. In most places in the U.S duct tape is forbidden by building codes for use by professionals. That doesn't keep people from using it to fix ducts though. I don't know why epople would use it on ducts (other then because of the name) but aluminum tape is far better for on ducts. Now, we can get back to sca stuff.  

CassiusD

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:58 pm
Cassius. Here in NY it can be used on "soft ducts". If you have metallic duct work it requires aluminum tape. I'd rather use the aluminum anyway. It works better.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:07 am
Geek Moment: Ductape, its like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it binds the world together. (with sticky gooeyness....) sweatdrop  

Chibbi_Satan

CassiusD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:35 am
Snaebjorn
Cassius. Here in NY it can be used on "soft ducts". If you have metallic duct work it requires aluminum tape. I'd rather use the aluminum anyway. It works better.

Soft ducts? Never heard of them. I helped my dad with his carpentry business when I was a teenager and all he ever had to deal with was metal ducts. I saw what happened when people had tried to make patchwork repairs with duct tape, it turned to a mushy, sticky mess. I can't say for sure but my dad always said it was the heat that did it. Regardless if the piece could be salvaged I got to be the one who scrubbed off the mess.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:46 am
I do general construction myself now. Yes. Soft duct. Instead of the good old fashioned giant metal drums that are generally used. Its sucky honestly. You'd have to look it up as I can't figure out how to describe it.  

Snaebjorn

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:52 am
Chibbi_Satan
Geek Moment: Ductape, its like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it binds the world together. (with sticky gooeyness....) sweatdrop

Which is why, as all good techies know, that GAFF TAPE powns DUCT TAPE any day! 3nodding But duct tape powns as well, just gaff tape is better! 3nodding and black heart
And so lives on the Techie bible! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:58 am
Naito_Mitsukai
Chibbi_Satan

Which is why, as all good techies know, that GAFF TAPE powns DUCT TAPE any day! 3nodding But duct tape powns as well, just gaff tape is better! 3nodding and black heart
And so lives on the Techie bible! heart

rofl I concied my lady. *bows*  

Chibbi_Satan

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:58 pm
Fear the Python.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:12 pm
Rial k**e
Fear the Python.

But he's so funny, how can you fear someone whos that funny??  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:50 pm
Dema
Rial k**e
Fear the Python.

But he's so funny, how can you fear someone whos that funny??

There are ways.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:04 pm
ok...sorry, maybe this should go on the perverted thread, but I just thought funny things when I read "Fear the Python..."

*snickers* mrgreen  

Chibbi_Satan

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:09 pm
Chibbi_Satan
ok...sorry, maybe this should go on the perverted thread, but I just thought funny things when I read "Fear the Python..."

*snickers* mrgreen

My anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns hun

*giggles* Gotta love Sir Mixalot  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out